March 28, 2024, 12:44:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

valve rework

Started by oldster, July 27, 2017, 04:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldster

approx cost to have heads reworked for unleaded gas, valves, seats and guides. thanks

wreck74

Don D

About $800 with all new parts including seats which are usually sunk too far.

Snowyone

Had mine done by Baisley and it was a touch over 1k.

Hillside Motorcycle

By the time the guides are toast, it'll need the seats touched up anyway, unless of course, the valves are sunk out of sight.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

Most of the time I do them I use 100% new parts, kibblewhite

Matt C

May as well plan on all new parts. Those things are usually a mess...

Snowyone

The brass seats are usually worn out and the trick is getting the new seats to shrink fit in the old hole and not fall out.  Hasn't happened to me but heard plenty of hoar stories talking about it.

Deye76

Sorry, another old thread, but, if replacing seats, go to Shovel size and nickel alloy for unleaded. Brass seats won't last with unleaded IME. Floheadworks the best IMHO.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

CraigArizona85248

+1   Perry @ Flo Headworks has figured out the right material for the seats. They expand/contact at the same rate as the aluminum heads. This helps to keep them from falling out.  I've put a ton of miles on my heads in the heat of Arizona summer with not a single problem.

-Craig

Ohio HD

That was always a concern with Pans when I worked on them way back when. Good that Perry has a working solution.