April 24, 2024, 04:41:11 PM

News:

Air cleaner???

Started by Rob L, March 12, 2019, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

I'm doing a motor swap and I'm using a 58mm throttle body but my stage1 air cleaner seems to be too small. It bolts up fine but the diameter is smaller.to me that would defeat the purpose of going with the larger than stock throttle body. My question is, what's everyone using with the larger throttle body's?

billbuilds

What brand throttle body? It makes a difference. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

NHBagger

I assume you mean the backing plate hole?  Can you bore it to match?

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: NHBAGGER on March 13, 2019, 04:30:36 AM
I assume you mean the backing plate hole?  Can you bore it to match?
Zactly what I did. Use the gasket as a template, slowly dremel, file, etc. the material away..... easy job  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rigidthumper

They tell you to buy a new AC for the new TB, but you can just buy the backing plate, or modify your old one.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rob L

im using the screamin eagle 58mm throttle body. I never really thought about opening the hole bigger with a Dremel. I just figured there was something already that size.

billbuilds

Harley makes a Screamin Eagle air cleaner to fit that TB. What year and model bike?

Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

scott7d

I am using the Screamin' Eagle Agitator Breather on an HPI 58mm TB. There was plenty of room to bore the stock back plate to fit. I think I paid like 30 bucks to have it done.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

billbuilds

The Screamin Eagle 58mm backing plate is too big for the HPI 58mm TBW elliptical TB, there's a step. So I've got one here sitting on the shelf.

Rob L

Quote from: billbuilds on March 13, 2019, 07:18:58 PM
     Harley makes a Screamin Eagle air cleaner to fit that TB. What year and model bike?
09 Road Glide

kd

I think you'll find HPI used the S&S backing plates when they were designing and testing their throttle bodies.  I use S&S with my HPI 62/64.
KD

billbuilds

Rob L,
     I sent you a PM.  Bill

Rob L

Quote from: billbuilds on March 14, 2019, 02:44:38 PM
     Rob L,
     I sent you a PM.  Bill
I got the PM. I will keep it in mind thank you. I found out my buddy may have one on his bike that he wrecked that he may be parting out. I will keep you in mind if things fall through. Again thanks