March 28, 2024, 11:21:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust discs and dyno tuning

Started by BadHabit, March 08, 2019, 04:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadHabit

March 08, 2019, 04:09:37 AM Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:42:01 AM by BadHabit
I understand how the discs work my question is when dyno tuning an efi motor when do you focus on the tuning the exhaust discs on a supertrapp or e-pipe? Before you start the a/f ratio and timing tuning or after or both?

rigidthumper

IMO it all has to be done together- too lean AFR under load can cause detonation, changing timing can affect AFR, adding discs changes air flow through the pipe, affecting AFR in different ways at different RPMs, etc, so you have to decide what curve shape/sound level you desire. By rough tuning WOT while changing plates, you can get a good look at power levels and shape, decide on which cap and how many plates, then go back and tune all the throttle areas for both cylinders. Adding a tunable exhaust simply adds another set of variables in a time consuming process.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

BVHOG

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 08, 2019, 08:38:26 AM
IMO it all has to be done together- too lean AFR under load can cause detonation, changing timing can affect AFR, adding discs changes air flow through the pipe, affecting AFR in different ways at different RPMs, etc, so you have to decide what curve shape/sound level you desire. By rough tuning WOT while changing plates, you can get a good look at power levels and shape, decide on which cap and how many plates, then go back and tune all the throttle areas for both cylinders. Adding a tunable exhaust simply adds another set of variables in a time consuming process.

Excellent answer!!!!  I would add that from my experience I have seen motors run cooler with a dialed in combo.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.