March 28, 2024, 05:02:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

gas smell

Started by Teardrop, March 30, 2019, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teardrop

I have a 2010 Ultra classic 103CI w/TW555 cams. It is tuned with Power Vision w/Target Tune. I started smelling gas during warmup and at idle once warm. I have been running this tune for some time with no issues. I have checked all the connections and can't find anything wrong. Any suggestions on where to look? 
2010 Ultra Classic

Coyote

Reset your fuel trims and see if it goes away.

Teardrop

I reloaded the map and reset the fuel trims and took it out for another spin. It doesn't seem to be as bad but it is still there.
2010 Ultra Classic

Hossamania

Check your air filter and breather tubes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Teardrop

I will check/clean the air filter tomorrow. Which breather tubes should I be checking?
2010 Ultra Classic

Hossamania

The tubes that normally go into the air cleaner, unless they are vented externally. I was thinking there may be excess oil mist into the air cleaner, causing some fuel smell buidup.
Is this a california model with an evap canister?

Teardrop

Got it. Really no rubber tubes going into the filter. It had the stage 1 K&N filter and SE backing plate. The filter is 7 years old and there is oil that gets on it. I do clean it but I was thinking about going to the dealer tomorrow and pick up another one. 
2010 Ultra Classic

Hossamania

Do those breathers still feed into the air cleaner/throttle body, or have they been set up to vent externally, either to the ground, or to a catch can? It may not matter, but when they are left to vent into the throttle body, they let oil residue build up in the throttle body, and it should get cleaned on a regular basis. If this was set up at the dealer, this is most likely the case, and may add to the fuel smell sometimes.

Teardrop

Yes the oil vents into the throttle body. What do you recommend spraying into the throttle body to clean it out?
2010 Ultra Classic

Hossamania

Any good throttle body / carb cleaner available from an auto parts store, Gumout or similar. I think once you take the air cleaner off and take a look in there you'll see some dirt and oil res built up if its been a while since you've had it serviced.

Hossamania

Also, depending on the air filter you have, it may be able to be cleaned, rather than buying a new one.

N-gin

I had a fuel smell and it ended up to be the coupler on the tank. O-ring
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind