April 25, 2024, 04:06:15 AM

News:

Stator Cover

Started by bullpin451, February 13, 2019, 05:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

This is the tried and try clear plug. These only stay in while timing the bike.

[attach=0]
https://goo.gl/HwELvs

JW113

The clear plugs indeed do work, but they are kind of a pain. The flash of the strobe reflects off the plug itself, but mosly off the oil on the flywheel, making it hard to see the timing mark. What helps is to paint the timing mark a bright color (I use red), and spin the plug in until it "just" touches the flywheel, then back off like a 12th of a turn. The idea being to get the plug end as close as possible to flywheel without touching, to squeegie the oil away.

The other thing I've found is that single fire ignition works a lot better to strobe time than dual fire, since with dual it will fire at the correct time, and at the wrong time.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hogman

Quote from: JW113 on February 20, 2019, 08:21:05 AM
The clear plugs indeed do work, but they are kind of a pain. The flash of the strobe reflects off the plug itself, but mosly off the oil on the flywheel, making it hard to see the timing mark. What helps is to paint the timing mark a bright color (I use red), and spin the plug in until it "just" touches the flywheel, then back off like a 12th of a turn. The idea being to get the plug end as close as possible to flywheel without touching, to squeegie the oil away.

The other thing I've found is that single fire ignition works a lot better to strobe time than dual fire, since with dual it will fire at the correct time, and at the wrong time.

-JW

JW, a Few Years Back Now, Maybe Quite a Few, as I Had my old 83 FLHT at The Time, There was a Company that was Selling a Clear Plug WITH a Squeegee looking thing already on it. SUPPOSED to "Wipe" the Oil off While being Timed. I Almost Bought one, but I HATE Pissing $$$$ away Needlessly, as I Had TWO Already, A Normal one, and One that was Quite a Bit Slimmer and Longer, so I Just Stayed with them.
The "Wiper" ones, I Don't Know If they are Still available or Not anymore.
Good Post for those UN-Familiar with these things!

ME
Hogman

JW113

And to step into the wayback machine...

Any guesses what they did before somebody invented a clear plastic timing hole plug? Pretty clever actually, I've been tempted to give it a try just to see.

-JW

Hogman

To Be Honest JW, The ONLY Other way *I* Personally have seen it Done, (and WELL Over 40 Years Ago!!!) was by a MUCH Older and Proverbial "Old School" Mechanic, was He Layed the Bike Over on its Side, and Timed it through the Plug Hole. Nothing in the Hole, (Running of Course!) Oil Spray was Surprisingly Minimal too! I Have Never Tried That Myself, Only because I KNOW the Sort of Luck *I* Have!  LOLOL
Love to hear of other ways too, If You know them JW.........

ME
Hogman

JW113

Well, the other way is to take a piece of thin wall rubber or plastic hose, that's just slightly larger OD than the timing hole threads. You have to cut the end of it off as square as possible, a piece about 1" long. You then spin it in the timing hole until it touches the flywheel. The idea is that it seals off the hole to the flywheel, and squeegies the oil off so you have a clear shot of the timing mark.

Interesting, clever, never done it myself. But might. Might want to wear a face shield though!

-JW

Hogman

Quote from: JW113 on March 06, 2019, 07:55:19 AM
Well, the other way is to take a piece of thin wall rubber or plastic hose, that's just slightly larger OD than the timing hole threads. You have to cut the end of it off as square as possible, a piece about 1" long. You then spin it in the timing hole until it touches the flywheel. The idea is that it seals off the hole to the flywheel, and squeegies the oil off so you have a clear shot of the timing mark.

Interesting, clever, never done it myself. But might. Might want to wear a face shield though!
LOLOLOLOL

-JW

WOW! Interesting JW. I Have to Admit, I've NEVER Heard it done That Way!
THANKS for Posting that. I MIGHT Try it LATER on this Year, when I Will Want to be Checking mine upon Re-Assembly.......
Thanks Again Sir!

ME
Hogman