April 26, 2024, 06:15:13 PM

News:

Softail 5 speed in shovel 4 speed frame

Started by Manostihl, February 24, 2019, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manostihl

In the process of swapping a 5 speed Softail trans  and ultima 3 inch open belt drive into my 83 low rider. Anyone on here done a Softail trans swap? Just looking to see how someone else dodged the swingarm pivot.

JW113

Not that I've done it, but I think this is why S&S (et al) make special transmission cases to do just that.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Dogbone45ACP

Yes , I've done it. The case needs some machine work. I used a complete Softail primary. Not a bolt in.

Dogbone45ACP

I did mine because I wanted the newer starter assy.

Dogbone45ACP

The area around the swing arm is what must be machined. It can be done with a hole saw in a drill press. Also you will need a trans mounting plate for it.

Dogbone45ACP

I got the trans plate from Vulcan Parts . I can't open his web site from home. I'll try at work on Tuesday.

Dogbone45ACP

The battery box and oil tank mount will need modified. Most of this can be done without the use of a machine shop. But if you are a mechanic or machinist life would be easier.

Manostihl

Quote from: JW113 on February 25, 2019, 08:30:51 AM
Not that I've done it, but I think this is why S&S (et al) make special transmission cases to do just that.

-JW
yes I know this . I've had a sputhe 5 in 4 in the bike already. Tired of the tapered shaft, p.o.s starters and not on the shelf parts that's why I went with this stock softail trans

Manostihl

Quote from: Dogbone45ACP on February 25, 2019, 04:11:13 PM
I did mine because I wanted the newer starter assy.
I realize it's not a bolt in. I have already cut the trans case. Looking to see how other people such as yourself made the bracket for the rear most primary bolts that go to the trans. I read on a conversion on Rivera primos website.

Manostihl

Quote from: Dogbone45ACP on February 25, 2019, 04:13:50 PM
The area around the swing arm is what must be machined. It can be done with a hole saw in a drill press. Also you will need a trans mounting plate for it.
already have the trans plate

capn

Rivera Primo will sell just the little plate with the spacers to bolt to your trans plate. It bridges the gap you cut for the swingarm and lets you use one of the rear lower bolts.If you want to run softail primaries you mill off the bottom rear mount of the inner to match spacer plate level.One bolt is better than none .You can find softail primaries easily on ebay.You can use a clutch up till 06 will work.

Manostihl

Quote from: capn on February 26, 2019, 04:04:49 AM
Rivera Primo will sell just the little plate with the spacers to bolt to your trans plate. It bridges the gap you cut for the swingarm and lets you use one of the rear lower bolts.If you want to run softail primaries you mill off the bottom rear mount of the inner to match spacer plate level.One bolt is better than none .You can find softail primaries easily on ebay.You can use a clutch up till 06 will work.
I have an ultima 3.35 belt primary clutch setup I'm going to run. Looked to me like Rivera shaved both bolt holes off in their conversion and I emailed them about that piece and it's been almost a month to the day with no reply. http://www.riveraprimoinc.com/html/4speed-conversion.html

capn

You can call rivera primo and they will answer.

Manostihl

Quote from: capn on February 26, 2019, 01:29:39 PM
You can call rivera primo and they will answer.
I did not know that thank you!

Dogbone45ACP

I didn't bother with the bracket you mention. I cut the rear ears off of the primary and plugged the holes. The forward studs and the starter bolts seem to be doing fine. I'm also running a rear belt drive.

I don't ride that much or very hard anymore, so hard for me to say how it will hold up long term.

Manostihl

Quote from: Dogbone45ACP on February 27, 2019, 03:30:02 AM
I didn't bother with the bracket you mention. I cut the rear ears off of the primary and plugged the holes. The forward studs and the starter bolts seem to be doing fine. I'm also running a rear belt drive.

I don't ride that much or very hard anymore, so hard for me to say how it will hold up long term.

right on I don't ride hard that often but I do get a heavy hand every now and again. I spoke with Rivera engineering and they are going to sende the parts I need !

Dogbone45ACP