April 19, 2024, 05:13:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starter Shaft Issue

Started by 8080REG, March 29, 2019, 12:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

:agree:  Aftermarket stuff can definitely be a crap shoot... Very difficult for the aftermarket to keep up with all the permutations that HD has had in the transition years. 

If 8080REG has owned it all its life and it's all original primary inner/outer etc then I'd say it's likely the replacement starter drive parts are wrong, or a mismatch to the inner belt drive clutch basket assy.  (stating the obvious)

JW113

I realize that I'm purt near blind anymore, but did not see this in any of the above posts. Will ask again, and then shut the hell up.

What year & model is this motorcycle?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

rageglide

SWAG, 1980 80" ?   But he did say a 74 inner primary...

and you know I'm as blind as you... we need a third ;-)

8080REG

I've spoken with BDL and there is a difference in the ring gear placement  on their belt drive set ups compared to stock....so I've machined the shaft nut and all is good now. It would have been nice to know that at the beginning!  Thanks everyone for your input

rykk

Hi folks - I know this is an old post, but seems I have the same problem... I'm new to this forum, and need help.

I am rebuilding a 1980 FLH and installing a BDL 1.5" EVBB-3T-4 kit. I had to replace inner primary as original was cracked - bought a V-Twin repop. I have validated that the ring gear on new clutch hub is about 1/4-3/8" further out from inner hub surface than stock hub. Current extension of stock starter pinion gear will not fully engage. Have tried calling BDL tech support but no luck so far.

The brass shim that billbuilds showed looks like it would solve the problem, but was not included in my kit. I cannot seem to find it listed anywhere. Wondering if I could use brass washers? My concern with reducing the depth of the shaft nut is that the starter shaft could be pulled out of the drive gear.

8080REG, how much did you machine off of the shaft nut? Was this recommended by BDL?

Thanks, Rick.