April 25, 2024, 07:01:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Slipping into first gear

Started by Chopper75, May 01, 2019, 06:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopper75

I can't seem to figure this one out. 1980 Shovel Fat Bob, Foot Clutch, Scorpion Clutch, 5-in-4 RevTech Tranny. When I drop into neutral and coast to a light, right before I come to a stop, the bike will slip into first. With the foot clutch, this is getting very annoying. I adjusted the clutch and rod and I don't want to start tearing into the transmission just yet. Any thoughts?

Chopper75

Also, I get stuck between gears (false neutral?) when  down shifting from 5th to 4th sometimes. Don't know why the PO liked RevTech stuff so much...Im not a fan.

Mule

Probably should check your shift fork alignment...

Chopper75

Quote from: Mule on May 01, 2019, 07:41:56 PM
Probably should check your shift fork alignment...

Is this able to be done without removing the primary/trans?

Mule

YES , you have to take the TOP of the transmission off and use a shift fork alignment tool, although many including myself have done it without the tool...

guppymech

The fly in the ointment of checking the shift forks is the 5 in a 4, does it have 3 shift forks?  As we know the stock 4 speed has 2 forks.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Chopper75

I'll take the top off when I get home from work and take a look.

Chopper75

What's the procedure to adjust them?

dusty1

Been forever since i looked into a 5 speed. Definitely seems like a shift fork/shift clutch issue. I dont think there is a special alignment tool, just equal spacing on each side of fork? Also.. what about the adjuster on left side of case? 

96flhpi

Quote from: Chopper75 on May 02, 2019, 10:16:52 AM
What's the procedure to adjust them?

Know nothing about 4 in a 5 but if it's like the regular 4sp you add/remove spacers between the forks and their mounts until the dogs are spaced evenly between the gears they affect.  Difficult to do with trans in bike, not impossible.

Also, whatever it uses to shift the forks, see if there is wear in whatever locks it in position (a plunger and corresponding indents on my rotary top) allowing it to slide out of the right position.  On the four sp the shift mechanism is attached to the cover so easy to check if you can the cover off while still in the bike.  Again can't speak for yours but I replaced a 5sp Evo shift drum with trans in bike once.  I'd assume your's is at least similar to an Evo drum but take that for what its worth.

96flhpi

Also IIRC, Dusty's right there was some way to adjust the drum on the left side of the case on the Evo 5sp

Hossamania

Do you have a heavy ball or similar on the end of your hand shifter? Is your shifter straight up, or does it tilt one or the other, causing me to to pull itself into gear, either from vibration, or just plain wear on the whole system?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Chopper75

Nah, the shifter is balanced nicely and doesn't move when riding.  Pretty good setup other than the 5into4.

Hossamania

Quote from: Chopper75 on May 04, 2019, 07:14:37 AM
Nah, the shifter is balanced nicely and doesn't move when riding.  Pretty good setup other than the 5into4.

Got ya.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Burnout

Shift pawl centering spring seems the likely candidate.
On a 5 speed or a ratchet.
Not sure how the 5ina4 gets shifted, Cow-pie or Ratchet top?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Burnout on May 06, 2019, 09:05:23 AM
Shift pawl centering spring seems the likely candidate.
On a 5 speed or a ratchet.
Not sure how the 5ina4 gets shifted, Cow-pie or Ratchet top?

ratchet
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

carioux2008

Chopper 75,
I have a Sputhe 5 into 4 in my 84. I've had similar issues with it popping into first from a roll in neutral. I think the biggest culprit was the shift arm adjustment. Should be centered. Also, if there is buildup in the detent hole/shaft on your drum (should be an fxr style or evo style) that could cause it to not have adequate pressure keeping the drum in place.
I still get a false neutral between gears, haven't figured that out. All Andrews gears in mine, and they look fine. There must be some sort of adjustment that can be made to allow the shift forks to move freely and stay in place when desired. I am curious to know how you resolve your problems, I'll have to try the same thing.
Corey

carioux2008

I forgot to add; there is an easy external adjustment that can be made with the shift arm on the bike. It involves a few wrenches and/or a hex key.