April 23, 2024, 08:19:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Michelin Commander II

Started by waltcentral, May 28, 2019, 05:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I mounted new tires and bearings. Decided to go with 140 rears and 130 fronts. The belt now contacts the tire in the rear. Most modern tires have this ridge or lip that protrudes and that is where the belt rubs. I am half tempted to take a cheese grater and scrub off the vanity rubber lip.

waltcentral

Well what from what I can gather on the interwebs a 130/90/16 is close but not the same as a MT9016. So in effect when I decided to put a 140/90B16 it was 1 1/5 sizes larger.  If I had a chain drive it may fit fine. So I may see if I can barter away the 140.

kd

What are you using it on?  Lots of us are using the MU85 (140) on the evo and early TC touring bikes.
KD

waltcentral

waltcentral

What rear tires is anyone running on belt drive shovels. I know the Dunlops fit because that is what was on but I was hoping for a better riding tire.

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

waltcentral

I always forget about Avon's.

Burnout

Don't fall into the trap that a wide tire is better. That is/was a fad and has no performance basis.
In fact your bike will not handle as well with an oversize rear tire.
A wide tire causes the center of gravity to shift excessively when you lean the bike.
This means the bike will fight your efforts to lean the bike into a corner.
It will also wiggle on uneven pavement like tar strips or seams (raingrooves?)

An MT90 Is made for the older bikes, not a 130-150, fender clearance also can be an issue.

I don't think you can buy the tires that they came with anymore (not that you'd want to ride one).

Bridgestone + Pirelli also make fine tires.
Watch the load ratings though, the Heavy bikes need a stiffer sidewall.

I like the Avon Roadrunner because it has a solid band of rubber in the middle where you see the most wear (I think it is also a dual compound tire).
Be aware, It has less forward traction in the wet though (a price you pay with the solid center), side traction is great though.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

Dunlop works for me .... but then I ride my shovel tires square.  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

motorhead_smf

The Dunlop American elites with the dual compound are great tires not sure what size you would need but pretty sure they make one that would clear just fine.  It's not the usual square ish Dunlop tree pattern and is stiff in the middle for long wear and softer on the outsides for handling in curves.

waltcentral

it seems Dunlop and metzler do list there max width specs, other brands not so much.