March 28, 2024, 11:40:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

NHRA adds TOP FUEL HARLEY as a class

Started by 1FSTRK, February 11, 2017, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prodrag1320

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 14, 2017, 10:49:55 AM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on February 14, 2017, 10:20:15 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 12, 2017, 07:29:37 PM
Well the speeds have been close to the old 1/4 mile record speeds a couple times and each time the NHRA has made changes to re-lower them.

Notice the word "slower" is actually in the title of the link
http://www.dragracingonline.com/analysis/xvi_1-slower-1.html
From the linked article,

"The problem was that, despite constant changes the NHRA has mandated to slow the cars down such as shortening the track length for nitro cars to 1,000 feet instead of 1320 and initially reducing the maximum rpm, the racers found ways to circumvent those measures and defeat what the rev-limiter was supposed to do. Despite those changes, in 2013 Top Fuel cars were again running 328+ mph trap speeds.

At about the halfway point of last season, the NHRA tech department, under the direction of Glen Gray and with help from the rev-limiter manufacturer, MSD, instituted a testing program that included again reducing max rpm and controlling when and how much timing increase the crew chiefs could program into the ignition system.

Some crew chiefs have told me that drivers routinely keep the throttle open for a full quarter mile instead of 1,000 feet resulting in a true top speed significantly over 330 mph. But it should be noted that in 2013 only one NHRA Top Fueler went over 330 mph and that was in testing. During the 2013 season, NHRA's Top Fuel cars attained speeds in the 327-328+ mph range and once again they were going within five mph of the speeds that NHRA said was too fast for some if not all of NHRA's tracks when they implemented the 1,000-foot rule."

so I guess that's why both F/C & T/F are running consistently over 330 now,@ 1000'.pretty much the same as they ran in the 1/4 mile.i may not be good at "cutting & pasting" "Potty mouth",but ive been involved in drag racing for close to 40 years,so I know whats going on.if the NHRA was so concerned with safety as far as speeds go,they`de lengthen the shorter track for more run off (the last race in Pomona is the shortest track on the circuit,instead of making the track longer,they built a 1.5 million $$ timing tower.gainsville here in florida is the longest track and could easily have cars stop if they were going 350+.it was a $$ deal cause the teams were hurting too many parts in the last 320'

I cut, paste and provide links so that anyone here that reads and is actually interested in how this stuff really works can see I have not given an opinion here. I just post the links to the people that actual know and state publicly the facts that are a direct contradiction to your opinions and unfounded claims.

You are not arguing with me, you are arguing with them.

Thanks for taking away from my thread on NHRA class and the welcome TV coverage of it.
Your reply will let you get the last word, I am done here.

actually,you started your thread about the NHRA rules that would "hold" the T/F hd`s to around 230,T/F Harleys have very rarely ever run over 230,rules or not,so I thought that needed correcting.then you copied all the NHRA CAR rules about the switch from 1/4 to 1000'.i just said about how it REALLY is so people can understand how NHRA rules REALLY work,dont think I "took" anything away from anything

Hossamania

Quote from: prodrag1320 on February 14, 2017, 10:24:00 AM
Quote from: Shooter1 on February 14, 2017, 07:37:27 AM
All I know is I'm glad they are bringing the TF Harleys to the Heartland Park Topeka Kansas event. Hell we couldn't even get the Pro stock bikes here. I e-mailed NHRA years ago suggesting they consider rotating the PS bike schedule so the venues that never got to see them might get them every 3 maybe 4 years or so. I didn't expect a reply and didn't get one and no, we never got the PS bikes either.

Years ago I think for one year only, they did a PF/TF HD exhibition, only had maybe 8 bikes and ran them after the PS cars. About 70% of the crowd left to go to the pits. I hope we get a big bike count and they market the class well before and during the race so people will stay in their seats. Nothing like watching a TF H-D carry the front wheel to half track to make you a believer.

the T/F hd`s will only race at the races where P/S bikes wont be.I was at last years Topeka race helping out on DJ johnsons T/F hd,hell of a facility there!!

Brainard has Pro Stock, so I guess I won't be seeing the HD TF bikes. Bummer.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

prodrag1320

Quote from: Hossamania on February 14, 2017, 11:45:32 AM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on February 14, 2017, 10:24:00 AM
Quote from: Shooter1 on February 14, 2017, 07:37:27 AM
All I know is I'm glad they are bringing the TF Harleys to the Heartland Park Topeka Kansas event. Hell we couldn't even get the Pro stock bikes here. I e-mailed NHRA years ago suggesting they consider rotating the PS bike schedule so the venues that never got to see them might get them every 3 maybe 4 years or so. I didn't expect a reply and didn't get one and no, we never got the PS bikes either.

Years ago I think for one year only, they did a PF/TF HD exhibition, only had maybe 8 bikes and ran them after the PS cars. About 70% of the crowd left to go to the pits. I hope we get a big bike count and they market the class well before and during the race so people will stay in their seats. Nothing like watching a TF H-D carry the front wheel to half track to make you a believer.

the T/F hd`s will only race at the races where P/S bikes wont be.I was at last years Topeka race helping out on DJ johnsons T/F hd,hell of a facility there!!

Brainard has Pro Stock, so I guess I won't be seeing the HD TF bikes. Bummer.

nope,the P/S bike guys & the NHRA know if they had them run at the same event,which would be the crowd favorite (don't even get me started on P/S bike NHRA "rules")

Racepres

Luckily I know where TFH Started at...Wayyy back when...Actually Kirby may have been there...or shortly thereafter.
Also the very same place that actually has had TFH Records since 1985!!!
and...I believe I can assure anyone that cares to check the truth...that that Place that started Harley Drags...certainly Does Not...in any way...limit performance of Any Class of Racing...
Never have...Never will while the current management is in Place...
You NHRA Fanboys...go have ya some fun...I'll be Elsewhere...
Hope to see ya in Louisiana Kirby!!!

joelp34252

I have not seen top fuel Harley's get much faster in the last 10 years . At the end of the AHDRA period lots of 220-230 passes.Tak, Vancil, and many others. You could make a lot more power with a supercharged engine which is perfectly legal last I looked, but might have a problem finding someone to pilot it. Not to mention someone to finance it.

Joel 2001 Flht

prodrag1320

DJ`s bike (the one that Tak rode) has a blower on it now,though he hasn't ran it.jason pridemore & the prelines are also working with blower bikes

1FSTRK

Fastest MPH in NHRA history run in Topeka last night.
Robert Height goes 337.66 mph in a 1000' breaking the old record set in top fuel in 1320'
Already rumors NHRA may lower the funny car revlimiters from 8250 rpm down closer to the 7900 rpm of the top fuel cars to again slow them down with rules.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

turboprop

Quote from: Racepres on February 14, 2017, 07:48:25 AM
^^ Been my Experience that TF is getting more and more expensive.  And the average "customer" won't pay for it... A few cry about not having it...but even fewer are willing to pay more for them!
In My world Anyway!!!
BTW when you see a Street Tire bike without a bar go 160+MPH in the 8's...it is pretty Friggin Cool too!!!!
Watching a Top Fueler that does 8's???? Not so much!!!!!

That AMRA Outlaw Street class is probably my favorite class. The things Greg Dahl is doing with those bikes is nothing short of amazing. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Racepres

Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 20, 2017, 03:26:30 PM
Fastest MPH in NHRA history run in Topeka last night.
Robert Height goes 337.66 mph in a 1000' breaking the old record set in top fuel in 1320'
Already rumors NHRA may lower the funny car revlimiters from 8250 rpm down closer to the 7900 rpm of the top fuel cars to again slow them down with rules.

Those cars are Pretty Exciting stuff!!!   NOT!!!!!
Course...I don't watch Any Motorsports!!!

Racepres

Quote from: turboprop on May 20, 2017, 04:00:37 PM
^^ Been my Experience that TF is getting more and more expensive.  And the average "customer" won't pay for it... A few cry about not having it...but even fewer are willing to pay more for them!
In My world Anyway!!!
BTW when you see a Street Tire bike without a bar go 160+MPH in the 8's...it is pretty Friggin Cool too!!!!

That AMRA Outlaw Street class is probably my favorite class. The things Greg Dahl is doing with those bikes is nothing short of amazing.

One of the most entertaining....

pwmorris

Quote from: Racepres on May 22, 2017, 05:34:18 AM
Quote from: turboprop on May 20, 2017, 04:00:37 PM
In My world Anyway!!!

One of the most entertaining....
For sure-
AMRA has been there since the beginning as the only pure Harley Drags outfit in the Country. Others have come and gone (we have had nothing out west for several years), but the AMRA is still standing.

Racepres

Quote from: pwmorris on May 22, 2017, 07:52:10 AM

For sure-
AMRA has been there since the beginning as the only pure Harley Drags outfit in the Country. Others have come and gone (we have had nothing out west for several years), but the AMRA is still standing.

Working on that!!!

prodrag1320

a couple florida or Georgia races would be nice too!!

Shooter1

Was at Heartland Park for the drags this past weekend. The T/F H-D's put on a good show, them's some bad mofo's!  With the addition of the H-D's and Pro-Mods on the schedule you didn't get much time to walk the pits before you had to get back to your seat.I walked the pit area for two hours when I arrived early Saturday and never found the bike teams so didn't get a chance to see 'em up close. Hope y'all make it back next year.  :up:

Racepres

Quote from: prodrag1320 on May 23, 2017, 04:24:47 AM
a couple florida or Georgia races would be nice too!!

That certainly would be nice!!!

Nastytls

Went to NH for the races this weekend and saw Top Fuel Harley for the first time, those bikes are nasty.  At that track you can stand as close as about 20' from the start line and they make quite the impact than they leave the line, not as much as Top Fuel cars but impressive none the less. My brother ( who hates Harley's ) was with me and was thoroughly impressed by them.

doubletrouble

Rumor has it that jesse james ( west coast choppers ) is trying to get into the t/f field - his o/lady let it slip during an interview . I guess it wont be long and we will have to listen to him about how he has the only t/f team to do this and that. personally I was hoping that we had heard the last of that pathetic douch bag - wishfull thinking.

Hossamania

Douch​e bag? C'mon, he's very talented. Just ask him!!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on June 06, 2017, 11:15:14 AM
Douch​e bag? C'mon, he's very talented. Just ask him!!
He had the opportunity to ride a Pro Fuel Bike in Chicagoland long ago...Nope...ain't doin That!!!!

prodrag1320

The worlds fastest HD (tak & dj,6.021) is parked about 15 miles from my house & get a lot of parts worked onin my shop.no plans of coming to australia that i know of

Maddo Snr

December 18, 2017, 04:54:26 PM #45 Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:39:09 PM by Maddo Snr
Quote from: prodrag1320 on December 18, 2017, 02:29:16 PM
The worlds fastest HD (tak & dj,6.021) is parked about 15 miles from my house & get a lot of parts worked onin my shop.no plans of coming to australia that i know of

I don't know what constitutes a 'Harley' in Top Fuel for you guys but the worlds quickest V-twin I know of is from Finland.

Jaska Salakari's bike has run 6.010 with a 103" motor, only 85% Nitro and no gearbox.

He's coming to Australia after Christmas. He might well run a 5.xxx with our hot sticky tracks and cool summer night air.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

prodrag1320

Quote from: Maddo Snr on December 18, 2017, 04:54:26 PM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on December 18, 2017, 02:29:16 PM

I don't know what constitutes a 'Harley' in Top Fuel for you guys but the worlds quickest V-twin I know of is from Finland.

Jaska Salakari's bike has run 6.010 with a 103" motor, only 85% Nitro and no gearbox.

He's coming to Australia after Christmas. He might well run a 5.xxx with our hot sticky tracks and cool summer night air.

very familiar with his bike,we kinda went thru this over here when jaska was her last month,since its over head cam,it really dosnt fit into HD class`s or rules.BTW,when the guys from Sweden,norway & finland came over for the man cup last month,jaska,anders & ann,danael,lars stayed at my house (guys that come over here usually do,tak does too,"home for wayward T/F riders" is what its called)tell him Kirby says hi

1FSTRK

Doug Vancil wins NHRA Winter nations in Pomona

6.333 @ 220.01 mph

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Racepres

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 11, 2018, 05:36:39 PM

6.333 @ 220.01 mph
Pays off to hang around Romine's!!!!
Kirby; Did you get over there???
if so How was it... Really.

prodrag1320

Quote from: Racepres on February 12, 2018, 06:06:58 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 11, 2018, 05:36:39 PM

6.333 @ 220.01 mph
Pays off to hang around Romine's!!!!
Kirby; Did you get over there???
if so How was it... Really.

yea,we were there with Taks bike,ran fine here,then when we got there it developed a fuel prpblem.checked just about everything,got it a bit better but still no go.a lot of guys seemed to have proba besides the vancil/V&H team,but they tested in AZ right before the race.good time out there though