March 28, 2024, 08:22:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Battery for FLH

Started by 76shuvlinoff, June 29, 2019, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

June 29, 2019, 11:08:35 AM Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:19:22 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Looks like after 7 years the Scorpion I've had in the 76 FLH has given up.  I am considering looking for the same thing but wondering if you guys have used/seen a better option.  I am running a 32 amp charger so it keeps up but the mill has 185 psi cyl pressure and an All Balls starter.  I need a good hard push. Kickin ain't gonna happen.  :hyst:

edit to add. I see the Scorpion 370 CCA AGM like I have been using is $128.  They also show a 540 Lithium for nearly $300.  OUCH!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

waltcentral

I have run Terry Battery cables on a number of bikes.  Not all 4 gauge cables are created equal. Most are 300-400 strands, Terry has 1,650 strands of pure copper tin coated wire. Current runs along the outside of a conductor, google 'skin effect'.

dirtymike

Bar keep I'll have what walts having and make it a double.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: waltcentral on June 29, 2019, 12:54:05 PM
I have run Terry Battery cables on a number of bikes.  Not all 4 gauge cables are created equal. Most are 300-400 strands, Terry has 1,650 strands of pure copper tin coated wire. Current runs along the outside of a conductor, google 'skin effect'.

I am using  a set of Yooper cables and a double ground. One to starter, one to frame.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

Skin effect pertains to AC not the DC current that drives a starter motor. The higher the frequency the more 'effect'. At DC the current is even through the cross section of the cable. Totally irrelevant to this conversation.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Mule

I run the scorpion batteries in my FLH and all my friends bikes as well, they are pretty hard to beat!

Hossamania

I'd say if the Scorpion battery lasted seven years, stick with what works.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2019, 08:30:21 PM
I'd say if the Scorpion battery lasted seven years, stick with what works.

... and that's what I did this morning. Just couldn't bring myself to pop nearly 3 bills for Lithium for this bike.

So while I wait for a battery and a CV float needle I might as well tear into the brakes on the 12 EG. Everybody needs two bikes down. :hyst:
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Yeah, I love buying 6 sets of brake pads and 4 tires at a time!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

google 'skin effect'.

I'm thinking you should take your own advice!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

which is why wave guides are used in Radar, Microwave, etc ..........

turboprop

June 30, 2019, 04:19:30 PM #11 Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:17:06 PM by turboprop
Regardless, totally irrelevant to the topic. I hope a bunch more people chime in on skin effect. Never mind that the OP has made a decision and purchased a battery.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

76shuvlinoff

Went with another Scorpion glass mat battery, 370 CCA. Had it on a tender for over 24 hours before I installed it.  Cleaned all the connections. Spins her pretty darn well. Once in a while she still has a hump to get over depending on where the motor stops but it's a speed bump, not a wall.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

Mark you may look into the starter to make sure all is healthy there. Those old Prestolite and Hitachi starters weren't all that strong. That is if you're running the OEM style.

76shuvlinoff

July 07, 2019, 04:08:02 AM #14 Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:15:13 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 06, 2019, 11:17:58 AM
Mark you may look into the starter to make sure all is healthy there. Those old Prestolite and Hitachi starters weren't all that strong. That is if you're running the OEM style.

It's had an All Balls starter for a good 5 years.   Edit to add: I did a search and posted I had an All Balls on the shelf in 09 so it's more like 10 years. Damn I am old.  :doh:

When I was running the stock mill I was amazed at how it spun after I installed new brushes in the Prestolite. Later when I went to this 93 I installed "hi torque" field coils in it. Regardless of starters, cables, battery or timing she has almost always bogged on the first rev if it's sitting on a compression stroke.
 - Ernest Hemingway

bump

My 78 shovelhead went through a new battery every year. New battery and license plate each spring. Last time I had it apart to fix some things I put a glass mat battery in it. I also made up new battery cables and checked starter motor. Cables are basically Yooper cables as I know the guy who started them and just copied his. Stuck new battery and cables in it fired right up
spinning it over easily. That battery lasted 7.5 years so I can't bitch much about it, put a new one in back in the sring.

waltcentral

OOPS!  I guess I was wrong. Would not be the first time. Spent too much time over a soldering iron build audio amps, did not consider the A/C-D/C difference.