April 23, 2024, 10:06:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Giant Lapping Plate

Started by turboprop, October 13, 2019, 12:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

PoorUB

Spray adhesive can be removed with a razor blade and some brake clean or lacquer thinner. A laminate roller will help smooth out any bumps when gluing down the paper.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

Had not considered a laminate roller. Heck, until seeing it in this thread I had no idea such things existed. Learning has occurred. Thanks.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Admiral Akbar

1200 grit is way too fine. I use somewhere between 360 and 400.  With 1200 grit it will take forever and the surface will be too smooth. Any gasket will except for the foam viton coated aluminum ones can squish out.  Rougher finish holds them in place.  You going to special sheets that are big enough to get the whole surface?   For a primary gasket surface, I'd use a 14 inch mill file. 

PoorUB

Quote from: turboprop on October 16, 2019, 06:27:34 AM
Had not considered a laminate roller. Heck, until seeing it in this thread I had no idea such things existed. Learning has occurred. Thanks.

Contrary to the consensus I do come with with worth while info every so often! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mrmike

You may find that when your done those parts in your junk pile are no longer junk.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

98fxstc

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on October 16, 2019, 07:28:38 AM
1200 grit is way too fine. I use somewhere between 360 and 400.  With 1200 grit it will take forever and the surface will be too smooth. Any gasket will except for the foam viton coated aluminum ones can squish out.  Rougher finish holds them in place.  You going to special sheets that are big enough to get the whole surface?   For a primary gasket surface, I'd use a 14 inch mill file.

Agree with Max on this

I read above where you could buy belts in 18" or 24" width ?
I would consider cutting the plate in half  18" x 24" (maybe a bit late for that now)
would work better swapping grits and should be big enough for most work
36" x 24" is pretty big, how often would you need it compared with the convenience of grit availability and changeover ?
FSG suggested holding the grit in place with WD40,
Haven't heard of that before but it would be great if it worked (suction?)

I did my primary cover a while back by laying it flat on a laminex bench top in the kitchen and taking the high spots with a file with multiple checks
then finish with a block and 600 paper

turboprop

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on October 16, 2019, 07:28:38 AM

Yea, 1200 might be too fine. Have never done this before. Figured it would be best to start fine.  Keep the info coming.

ecir50

well that all depends how messed up the part is. It's like polishing a part or painting start with the roughest you need and work your way up. I would go 100 on one side of the glass and 220 on the other. 

ecir50

use some store bought grits to play with on a scrap piece of aluminum.

kd

October 19, 2019, 12:40:17 PM #35 Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:11:22 PM by kd
Here you go.  Exact fit size of double sided adhesive for $6.20 each.  An internet search found lots of other options from the glue stick applicator like you use at your desk for paper, on to spray, and on to this type of material in the link.

http://www.artgrafix.net/store/product1805.html
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: kd on October 19, 2019, 12:40:17 PM
Here you go.  exact fit size of double sided adhesive for $6.20 each.  An internet search found lots of other options from the glue stick applicator like you use at your desk for paper, on to spray, and on to this type of material in the link.

http://www.artgrafix.net/store/product1805.html

:up:  perfect!   Bob

turboprop

Wow. And only $156.00. I will probably start off with some spray adhesive just because I am cheap. But will keep this in mind as a contingency if the spay does not work out.

FXDBI

Quote from: turboprop on October 19, 2019, 12:59:30 PM
Wow. And only $156.00. I will probably start off with some spray adhesive just because I am cheap. But will keep this in mind as a contingency if the spay does not work out.

:embarrassed:  missed the 156 bucks , be much cheaper to just run strips of the widest 2 sided tape u can get for a reasonable price.  Good luck with the spray adhesive was 20yrs ago since I tried it and adhesives have come a long way.  Bob

kd

October 19, 2019, 01:14:31 PM #39 Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:31:21 PM by kd
Still only $6.20 per sheet.  I'd say a long lasting supply of 25 sheets if you do a lot.  Maybe they would sell you a sample pac with fewer sheets.
KD

Coyote

Why not just try hair spay?

turboprop

Quote from: Coyote on October 19, 2019, 02:52:17 PM

Great idea. I bet my wife has some.

FSG

Quote from: Coyote on October 19, 2019, 02:52:17 PM

:up:  works well on Grips,  it wasn't available in the Oil Patch so we used WD40 but it may well be available today   :SM:

wfolarry

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-12-in-x-18-in-20-Grit-Sanding-Sheet-with-StickFast-Backing-5-Pack-DCS120020P01W005/202875371?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_7_POWER_TOOL_ACCESSORIES-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PowerToolAccessories&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_7_POWER_TOOL_ACCESSORIES-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PowerToolAccessories-71700000056728358-58700005290277020-92700046897694916&msclkid=6c7be0349728199ec4bfbd9f09025765&gclid=CLTsxPi-qeUCFYbTDQodV3sMoA&gclsrc=ds
Just a thought. I used something similar on my granite plate years ago. I thought I got it from Goodson but I didn't see it in their catalog.
When you're sanding & trying to get it flat you can go too far very easily. I was doing some cases for an old motor that the customer was anal about getting it to stop leaking. I told him there might be problems. There were. Cometic saved the day.