April 19, 2024, 01:54:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel Moto push rods

Started by Stingray, May 16, 2019, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stingray

I'm installing a new cam on a friends 17SG. Iv'e put in the first push rod on the rear intake and the S&S lifter has not bled down after 40min. with 3.5 turns. Then after prepping the other rods I noticed that of the 3 left 2 are longer than the other one.  Not sure how long the one that is installed to compare just yet. I tried to see if I could get one of the longer ones in and it wouldn't clear the lifter block cover. I thought all the rods are supposed to be the same????  I'll be taking the other one out to compare, had to walk away for the night.  It was too late to call FM so figure I would post here for some advice.

Thanks

rigidthumper

Long pushrods for the exhaust valves, short for the intakes.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FSG

Do you have the FM P/N for them?

FM use/provide Smith Bros Pushrods, they should be Laser Etched either "Intake" or "Exhaust" but may not be depending.

Stingray

They are BENDER CYCLE brand. Nothing etched on them except their name. So I probably got lucky with the first rod. I just checked on it to see if it would spin, still very tight. Also doesn't explain why I couldn't get the longer exhaust one in there???

cmashark

Start over with the pushrod adjustment. With brand new premiums, I can collapse the lifter by adjusting the pushrods with my fingers.
2021 FLHXSE

Stingray

I'm gonna start over tomorrow. The lifters are S&S Premium. Hopefully it will work out better on the second try.

Stingray

Everything went smooth today.

Thanks for the help.