April 18, 2024, 07:42:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wobble in clutch basket

Started by motorhead_smf, February 25, 2019, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhead_smf

I haven't been on here in a while but I have a problem that's driving me nuts.  When I spin the hub with no clutch plates in there is a noticeable wobble on the clutch basket.  No physical play and the bearing seems fine.  This is a new Barnett clutch hub.  Also all new tranny components.  From some searches it looks like some say it's normal but I have a hard time believing this.
92 fxr.
I really don't want to spend money fixing something that can't be fixed.

JMHD

I would say normal, have seen it many times and never had a problem afterwards. Hope that helps.

MikeL

I have seen the same thing. Put it together and set your chain to spec.

MIKE

motorhead_smf

February 25, 2019, 06:31:29 PM #3 Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:40:49 PM by motorhead_smf
Video of what it looks like somewhat.  I thought it was mainshaft bent.
https://youtu.be/WUjkazHb0Wc

JMHD

Exactly what I have seen. Run it. :up:

Burnout

Remove the clutch from the mainshaft and put a dial indicator on the mainshaft and spin.
That will tell you if the mainshaft is bent.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Burnout on February 26, 2019, 10:55:20 AM
Remove the clutch from the mainshaft and put a dial indicator on the mainshaft and spin.
That will tell you if the mainshaft is bent.

Definitely not the mainshaft.  It's all new Baker stuff in there. 

Burnout

Well then maybe the clutch hub has ridden up on the key.
Or the hub was incorrectly machined.

Dan89flstc

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Burnout on February 26, 2019, 01:38:15 PM
Well then maybe the clutch hub has ridden up on the key.
Or the hub was incorrectly machined.

Splined shaft.
It's a toss between play in hub and shaft tightening not perfectly square or some other out of square condition.  I plan on probably trying a new bearing for posterity.  But it sounds like this is not an uncommon thing with these bikes we all love.  Gonna try and remedy it some but if not I'm gonna run it.  The hubs new and a good brand as well as new shaft so the hub bearing is the only other real thing I can really change here.

turboprop

Quote from: motorhead_smf on February 25, 2019, 03:01:25 PM
I haven't been on here in a while but I have a problem that's driving me nuts.  When I spin the hub with no clutch plates in there is a noticeable wobble on the clutch basket.  No physical play and the bearing seems fine.  This is a new Barnett clutch hub.  Also all new tranny components.  From some searches it looks like some say it's normal but I have a hard time believing this.
92 fxr.
I really don't want to spend money fixing something that can't be fixed.

Just so I understand this, you have the hub nut tightened, not plates or chain installed, transmission in neutral, and when you rotate the hub by hand, you notice the wobble in the basket? Interesting.

I just read through the manuals for '93 and '05 model years of bikes I own. Nothing in there about measuring clutch wobble. Or perhaps I just didnt see it. I suspect the test procedure might be an issue. Lacking clear instructions in the oem manuals, I will refer you to the Bandit clutch installation instructions. They call out measuring runout on the clutch with all of the plates and spring installed. Have you considered rigging up a dial indicator to measure the runout as called out in the Bandit instructions?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

motorhead_smf

Yes it's hard to get an indicator on the actual hub once the basket is pressed on.  Without a really long dial indicator.  I tried testing the new hub and basket vs the oem one on its own torqued down.  It all just doesn't seem right.  The real interesting part to me is the many that are saying this is pretty much normal.  Which it very well may be.  I'm thinking a lot of people just never notice this phenomenon.  I only did because my setup is not stock at all so I was checking my primary chain spacing in respect to the primary.  And upon spinning the mainshaft and hub the chain would slack and tighten quite a bit.
Really without a kicker there's only so many ways to rotate your transhaft without using the motor somehow.  Once the clutch pack is installed.  Also installing your clutch pack I would assume also firms the whole thing up. 

I figure I could have very easily set my chain slack and bolted it all up and never thought twice.

turboprop

I have noticed the wobble before but always attributed it to old parts and loose bearings. I am not familiar with all of the Barnett clutch hats, but I would think that there is a place on the perimeter of the one you have that a dial indicator could run. For example, the sweet spot on a Bandit Sportsman is on the face (not the tapered portion) of the hat right between the logo and the edge.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: turboprop on February 27, 2019, 06:10:14 AM
I have noticed the wobble before but always attributed it to old parts and loose bearings. I am not familiar with all of the Barnett clutch hats, but I would think that there is a place on the perimeter of the one you have that a dial indicator could run. For example, the sweet spot on a Bandit Sportsman is on the face (not the tapered portion) of the hat right between the logo and the edge.

There is.  And from what I could tell neither were all that true.  I would assume it's a combination of fit on shaft and machining or casting tolerances.  Those aren't bearing surfaces.  I originally attributed to shaft runout.  Which it was not obviously. 

I think this is more the style of bearing.  From me looking into this in other threads etc the fit on the shaft isn't that snug either so could theoretically be a bit cocked.  Which also seems to be the case.  The Barnett is a looser fit than the stock.  But the stock I'm guessing still has the same issues.

Burnout

February 27, 2019, 06:18:36 PM #14 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:27:14 PM by Burnout
I'd look for another hub. As long as the shaft is straight.
It appears the splines in the hub are not true to the hub center.
The basket runs true so it's not the bearing or press fit.

That thing must shake pretty bad, I'd think it might have release issues too (dragging).

Document it and ask them for a straight hub and a new inner bearing? That is obviously a mfg error/malfunction.
Some MFGRS will warranty stuff like that no questions, with just a phone call.

Rick the "that can't be good" asshole

dynabagger

I did have a bearing go bad shortly after putting a new higher quality than OEM hub on. I could rock it back and forth and feel it vibrate on decel. Manufacturer sent me a new bearing and it's been fine since. While I had it off I measured MS runout and it was very close to the limit. I too questioned at The time if the wobble was okay but my gut said it wasn't.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Rockout Rocker Products

Basket in my twin cam does the same thing. I was able to minimize it to some extent by taking it off, rotating a half turn & reinstalling. Take it off rotate 1/4 turn... etc. Find the best orientation & that's as good as it gets.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!