March 28, 2024, 02:08:07 AM

News:

Vibe Question

Started by Timber0472, December 31, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber0472

December 31, 2018, 10:45:09 AM Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:55:44 AM by Timber0472
Hey guys...anyone have vibration under load with the M8?

I did S&S oil pump and cam plate swap and just started noticing a buzz in the grips with a vibe in the floorboards and seat at cruise. It seems to go away in neutral.
Bike is 2018 RGS with 117 bb kit, and ss quickee rods and woods lifters/cam 22x

Also, listened with a stethoscope to cam chest, rods, and lifters...all sounds normal. Just a little bit of a tapping from rear top end if i hold revs in neutral to around 3-35..

Push-rod...exhaust leak?...idk. No loss of power. Just vibes mostly. Just didnt do that before oil and camplate swap. Oil pressure light is "ok" whatever the hell that means...Miss my old bike a little. S&S said if I did 100 miles on it then it shouldnt be anything oil pump or cam plate related or I would know by now.

codyshop

Timber0472

Also just pulled crankcase position sensor and had about 10oz of oil come out? Is that too much? I did do one other thing that I forgot to mention. I installed the chopped engine guard but I'm not sure if that would cause any vibes.

hd06

Ride your bike fairly hard on some twist and turns about 10 miles don't let it idle shut it off then pull C.P.S.

HV

Check all the Ex Bolts for tightness...and make sure none of the heat shields are touching a floor Board etc
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Smarty

Quote from: Timber0472 on December 31, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

I did S&S oil pump and cam plate swap and just started noticing a buzz in the grips with a vibe in the floorboards and seat at cruise. It seems to go away in neutral.

Also, listened with a stethoscope to cam chest, rods, and lifters...all sounds normal. Just a little bit of a tapping from rear top end if i hold revs in neutral to around 3-35..

Push-rod...exhaust leak?...idk. No loss of power. Just vibes mostly. Just didnt do that before oil and camplate swap. Oil pressure light is "ok" whatever the hell that means...Miss my old bike a little. S&S said if I did 100 miles on it then it shouldnt be anything oil pump or cam plate related or I would know by now.
I've seen several bikes that the muffler had slipped back on the hanger bracket and under load it would vibrate just like you speak of. First time it happened I liked to never found it.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Helmwurst

Quote from: Timber0472 on December 31, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

My '17 RGS has similar vibration at those same RPMs. I have had it in 2x for checkout and all is well according to service guys. Mine is noticeable in the floorboards and seat starting around 2800 up through 3300 RPMs. When you back off the throttle it gets worse and then smooths out below 2800. Hate that, especially since that is where I like to run on the highway. After about an hour of that, it starts to make the feet and boys ready for a break. Told the dealer felt like I was riding my old 1200 Sporty. They say nothing wrong. I rode a 2019 RG a few weeks ago, same deal. I don't mind a little shake and buzz, but my 2011 & 2015 did not do that except at idle !! Isn't a Touring bike supposed to be smooth on the road. I have tried to get them to pull the side cover to inspect the crank run out, but not happening. I picked up the up graded oil pump plate a few weeks ago, when I get around to putting that in, I will see if the runout is OOS. Dealership owner told me to run it till it breaks, and they will replace it !! LOL! Just do it before the warranty expires.

Hossamania

I thought one of the guys here mentioned that the engine alignment often seems under extreme stress, needs to really pry on the motor to remove mounts, readjusts them when he reinstalls it.
Is it possible to loosen the motor mounts, start it, let it "fall" or shake into place, and retighten?
Not sure if that is the issue, just something I seem to recall.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Timber0472

Still having seen problems with vibrations. I have remove the exhaust inspected every thing I can inspect Titan to every bolt. Found no issues.  Removed Cam cover inspected everything inside. Nothing. Today I was riding to work and doing around 75 and decided to pull the clutch in and coast Just to see if perhaps it was a tire suspension or belt issue. As soon as I pull the clutch in the vibrations stopped and it smoothed out. When I release the clutch and the engine came back in to play the vibes were still gone. WTF? Unfortunately I'm at work and cannot test it again. I'm wondering if it's a compensator or primary chain   Adjuster issue.  Anybody?

hd06

Put it back to stock and see if it has a vibration, Was where a problem when it was stock?

Timber0472

Quote from: hd06 on January 09, 2019, 03:04:33 PM
Put it back to stock and see if it has a vibration, Was where a problem when it was stock?
Hah...that time has passed as far as stock is concerned. I did put the stock oil pump and plate back in. It did not have the vibe with the stock pump but now it does.  Cams and 117 kit has 3k on it with no vibes.
Vibes have mysteriously disappeared after doing some hard downshifting. Idk...hate chasing ghosts.

kd

January 09, 2019, 08:41:39 PM #12 Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:18:20 PM by kd
It must be in the primary.    When you pulled the clutch in to coast you took everything from the clutch basket forward out of the mix. The transmission was still in gear and the rear wheel was driving everything up the the clutch hub including the transmission.   It's starting to sound like your primary chain adjusted if it has gone away after the downshifts.  The hard downshifts / decel will activate the adjuster and click up the slack. 
KD

Timber0472

Quote from: kd on January 09, 2019, 08:41:39 PM
It must be in the primary.    When you pulled the clutch in to coast you took everything from the clutch basket forward out of the mix. The transmission was still in gear and the rear wheel was driving everything up the the clutch hub including the transmission.   It's starting to sound like your primary chain adjusted if it has gone away after the downshifts.  The hard downshifts / decel will activate the adjuster and click up the slack.
I'm leaning to believe the same thing, but how should I fix it? It's under warranty but if they are just going to put in another inferior part - what's the point.

Helmwurst

Quote from: Hossamania on January 06, 2019, 11:05:57 AM
I thought one of the guys here mentioned that the engine alignment often seems under extreme stress, needs to really pry on the motor to remove mounts, readjusts them when he reinstalls it.
Is it possible to loosen the motor mounts, start it, let it "fall" or shake into place, and retighten?
I did pull the engine stabilizer off last week and that was a mistake... I had to jack up the left side of the engine with door shims on the center jack on the left side to move the engine back towards the bolt alignment for the stabilizer link. Then I had to take a wrecking bar tool, wrap it in shop rags against the down tube and on the head of the bolt to the stabilizer bracket and pry the engine over to align the stabilizer bot/bracket !! I thought WTF, this cannot be good to have that much pressure on the front cylinder to hold the motor into the frame. I have not tried the above process from Hossamania, but I may have to do that to try and relieve some of the tension on the alignment. FYI, my engine tipped 1/2 " to the left side when the stabilizer bolt was removed from the engine bracket.

rbabos

Quote from: Helmwurst on January 10, 2019, 05:59:47 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 06, 2019, 11:05:57 AM
I did pull the engine stabilizer off last week and that was a mistake... I had to jack up the left side of the engine with door shims on the center jack on the left side to move the engine back towards the bolt alignment for the stabilizer link. Then I had to take a wrecking bar tool, wrap it in shop rags against the down tube and on the head of the bolt to the stabilizer bracket and pry the engine over to align the stabilizer bot/bracket !! I thought WTF, this cannot be good to have that much pressure on the front cylinder to hold the motor into the frame. I have not tried the above process from Hossamania, but I may have to do that to try and relieve some of the tension on the alignment. FYI, my engine tipped 1/2 " to the left side when the stabilizer bolt was removed from the engine bracket.
That would be a WTF and a few other choice words from me as well. That's total BS and something is wrong, big time with the setup/ jigging or manufacture end.
Ron