April 16, 2024, 09:48:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Early and late S&S tappet cuffs warning.

Started by joe_lyons, January 16, 2019, 11:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_lyons

Ran into an issue with the early S&S tappet cuffs set being hit by the lifter on a 600 lift cam.  The early cuffs we're designed to only handle 550 lift and the later ones have been redesigned to work to 600 lift now.  The easy way to tell if you have the new ones is if the kit comes with the gaskets and bolts.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

rigidthumper

Was that discovered by power loss or just noise?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

BVHOG

Just got four sets in yesterday and noticed different packaging, haven't looked at them to see if they are the new ones. Stock lifter hitting the cuffs or S&S
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

moose

Moose aka Glenn-

Nastytls

Kind of off topic, but I thought the 4 valve heads didn't need/want high lift cams? 600 lift is even somewhat high for a twin cam.

wfolarry

You can't run .600 cams with the stock setup. Bob Wood had some lifters made that will work. S&S had to modify the cufffs for their lifters. Actually anybody's lifters will hit.

joe_lyons

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 16, 2019, 01:58:01 PM
Was that discovered by power loss or just noise?
Customer bought a set from me and was installing at home and when he went to rotate the motor over he noticed they were moving and hard to turn over.

joe_lyons

Quote from: BVHOG on January 16, 2019, 03:33:10 PM
Just got four sets in yesterday and noticed different packaging, haven't looked at them to see if they are the new ones. Stock lifter hitting the cuffs or S&S

He said they were ls7 lifters.

HD/Wrench

Well you had better look at the rockers vs valve at 600 lift just saying .. Sure you can buy the super high lift cam but when the guides are trashed in less than 2000 miles you will know why. The Geometry is way off  at 550 lift your at the max and the rockers is already out on the tip ( not the pad) .

Already repaired one bike with a 600 lift cam . Its not longer in the bike but with time I am sure there will be more parts to allow it. The needing it part well not going down that road , only reporting what I saw first hand