April 19, 2024, 07:13:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigidthumper

Quote from: Durwood on November 04, 2018, 06:55:45 AM
UB, I haven't ridden it, only on the dyno trying some different mufflers.

Too bad you cant fit a set of Mellows for testing :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Durwood

November 04, 2018, 02:47:05 PM #276 Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:55:45 PM by Durwood
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2018, 07:19:24 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2018, 06:33:08 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 06:03:07 AM
SE Heavy Breather

That maybe the governor right there.

After conversing with people in the know, we have determined that the SE heads are the choke point.

The CR-530 cam has been in several 140+ hp builds, and I pulled the AC element and didn't really gain anything other than more tuning time.

This R&D is fun, and we have only begun to scratch the surface.

Interesting, it has been the general consensuses that those cnc heads flow in the 340-350 cfm range, more than enough to support 150 hp with a proper set-up. I wonder if they may require some cam testing and development along the lines of what Redshift did with the stock castings.
Haven't personally seen a build with these heads to crack the 140 plateau.

I was told that stock heads would have made more power on this build, but again this is conjecture and why it's important to test.

We will be trying a set of ported heads on this build sometime in the future. Also noteworthy is that this build isn't squeezed as hard as ones we've seen.

I am checking the CCP tomorrow and will post the results.

Quote from: sfmichael on November 03, 2018, 07:10:29 PM
cool Daren...will your bike be this same recipe?  :pop:
The only thing at this point I can tell you with certainty is that the shop mule will be 124".  :smiled:

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 08:28:43 AM
UB, I haven't ridden it, only on the dyno trying some different mufflers.

Too bad you cant fit a set of Mellows for testing :)
I have a set, all I need is the S&S Power Tune dual head pipe. Maybe on my bike. :teeth:

1FSTRK

November 04, 2018, 03:37:11 PM #277 Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:52:12 PM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: Durwood on November 04, 2018, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2018, 07:19:24 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2018, 06:33:08 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 06:03:07 AM
SE Heavy Breather

That maybe the governor right there.

After conversing with people in the know, we have determined that the SE heads are the choke point.

The CR-530 cam has been in several 140+ hp builds, and I pulled the AC element and didn't really gain anything other than more tuning time.

This R&D is fun, and we have only begun to scratch the surface.

Interesting, it has been the general consensuses that those cnc heads flow in the 340-350 cfm range, more than enough to support 150 hp with a proper set-up. I wonder if they may require some cam testing and development along the lines of what Redshift did with the stock castings.
Haven't personally seen a build with these heads to crack the 140 plateau.

I was told that stock heads would have made more power on this build, but again this is conjecture and why it's important to test.

We will be trying a set of ported heads on this build sometime in the future. Also noteworthy is that this build isn't squeezed as hard as ones we've seen.

I am checking the CCP tomorrow and will post the results.

As always thanks for all your hard work and for sharing it with us here. With out guys like you we are left with only the advertisers.

What were the build specs on this 124,
Head cc's
gasket thickness
piston volume
deck height
Looking forward to the ccp numbers also

Added
What head pipe did you use for this muffler test?

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Durwood

CCP on this 124 is 191/190. and it feels great on the road.

I have mine apart right now, going 124" with stock heads and throttle body. We are correcting the deck height on it. (.015" in the hole).

sfmichael

Quote from: Durwood on November 09, 2018, 05:50:03 AM
CCP on this 124 is 191/190. and it feels great on the road.

I have mine apart right now, going 124" with stock heads and throttle body. We are correcting the deck height on it. (.015" in the hole).

:baby:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 05:25:04 AM
Hey D, can you show the same 3 runs with AUC? I'm curious if the Street Cannons beat the FM Street Outlaws.
Here you go Robin.
[attach=0]

rigidthumper

Thanks, D. I was hoping to see 16, 27, and 46, like in post #261.

Durwood

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 13, 2018, 08:21:15 AM
Thanks, D. I was hoping to see 16, 27, and 46, like in post #261.
My mistake. Should have looked at the graph a little closer when I got the run file numbers. :embarrassed:

Let's do this again.
[attach=0]

rigidthumper

Thank you Sir. I Appreciate your time and effort on these things!

Durwood

Now back to my bike. I installed a 124" big bore kit on it, and zero decked the cylinders, as the rear was .019" in the hole and the front was .015" when mocked up.

It now rolls over @ 230/230 CCP, with the static compression @ 11.1:1.

This is a purpose built torque build, which I named "The Tractor", and after riding it yesterday, it lived up to the billing..

Roll on power is nothing short of amazing, just twist the grip and GO!

This is a simple stage 3 build with only the cam, injectors, cylinders and pistons swapped, then a good tune.

Using stock heads and stock throttle body this time around.
[attach=0]

Buglet

That like good, it should get you moving down the road. You should have no trouble passing now. Great work.

Prostock

Good stuff Darren.  140 ftlb's at 2500.  And affordable :SM:

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on November 19, 2018, 08:54:04 AM
Now back to my bike. I installed a 124" big bore kit on it, and zero decked the cylinders, as the rear was .019" in the hole and the front was .015" when mocked up.

It now rolls over @ 230/230 CCP, with the static compression @ 11.1:1.

This is a purpose built torque build, which I named "The Tractor", and after riding it yesterday, it lived up to the billing..

Roll on power is nothing short of amazing, just twist the grip and GO!

This is a simple stage 3 build with only the cam, injectors, cylinders and pistons swapped, then a good tune.

Using stock heads and stock throttle body this time around.
[attach=0]

:up: :up:
You are going to have to get the tailor to put longer sleeves on all your jackets.

Just for a visual could you post the run from this graph http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=95948.msg1216062#msg1216062
on the graph under the new 124" run.
Thanks

Geraldsd

Can't wait to see your "mule" with head work...you do great work...
2014 FLHX, S&S 110" kit, CR-575 Cams, HDSP Heads
10.5/1, D&D Fat Cat, Stock TB

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

DTTJGlide

Are you still running the stock clutch with the heavy springs or have you upgraded to something else? Thanks for all the testing & sharing of info :up:

Durwood

I just switched to a 10 plate clutch pack using the red Barnett springs after this last tuning session..

The 9 plate OE clutch was giving up at 2700. It made more torque on other runs, but the graph wasn't smooth because of clutch slip.

Next up is a larger throttle body.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on December 13, 2018, 02:44:53 PM
I just switched to a 10 plate clutch pack using the red Barnett springs after this last tuning session..

The 9 plate OE clutch was giving up at 2700. It made more torque on other runs, but the graph wasn't smooth because of clutch slip.

Next up is a larger throttle body.

I am still in awe of your numbers from the big bore with the stock TB, we talked about a better manifold and TB way back during your 107" cam testing. The clutch upgrade and a good base line is a great start because you know that new TB was going to walk right through the other one in the middle of your test.

Malazan

What is your favorite cam between the Tman P200, RS468, and the CR460

I'm really leaning toward the CR460

MakoHD

You're doing some really good compression! Great job! I didn't read through the whole thing. What gear are you doing the pulls in ?

Durwood

March 07, 2019, 04:35:37 AM #295 Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:40:06 AM by Durwood
Quote from: Malazan on February 21, 2019, 07:53:04 PM
What is your favorite cam between the Tman P200, RS468, and the CR460

I'm really leaning toward the CR460
The new CR-480 is on the top of the heap. It won't be available for a week or so.

You can't go wrong with the CR-460 or the RS-468 though, the 200 I have not tested.

Quote from: MakoHD on March 06, 2019, 03:52:38 PM
You're doing some really good compression! Great job! I didn't read through the whole thing. What gear are you doing the pulls in ?
6th gear.

Ken R

Quote from: Deye76 on January 17, 2017, 12:05:54 PM
Darn good torque, Good looking bike too. Fullsac next?

Ten years ago, we could spend thousands of dollars to soup our motors up to get anything like that.   :smileo:

Durwood

Made a little time for a cam swap and tune on Blue this week. Kept the stock heads and throttle body in the interest of changing one thing at a time. This is with the CR-470.

It still has that snap off the bottom that it had but now carries farther and stronger.

Can't wait to get a TB on it to see where the curve goes from there.

Here's the cam specs.

Intake   open 16  Close 40  .470 lift  102LC   236 duration

Ex.    Open 60   Close 14   .460 lift  113LC  254 duration

30 degree over lap  107.5LSA

[attach=0]

HD/Wrench

that is the most HP I have seen with stock TB most are low 120 very nice .  From what I have tested thus far 140 seems to be the avg limit of power with stock heads . I have two large cams to test in a 128 will see what  they do .