March 28, 2024, 06:05:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan S

Quote from: turboprop on March 16, 2019, 05:37:51 PM
Quote from: Alan S on March 16, 2019, 04:28:32 PM
Since this is going to be a long range (I'm guessing touring) missle, any reason you didn't opt for the later model with the 6 sp?

Is that how you did yours? If so, please share how you did the mid shift.  Does it look clean and use all oem FXR primary drive parts like the '99-'00 FL transmission does? Please post up a few pictures of your TC FXR with the later six speed transmission.

Since I'm not experienced with the TC/FXR conversion, I wasn't aware the 6 sp wouldn't fit.

Thanks for clearing that up, dick.
If the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy.
Red Green

ecir50

We can all be dick's but some are just more classy about it.

turboprop

Quote from: Alan S on March 17, 2019, 10:27:07 AM
Quote from: turboprop on March 16, 2019, 05:37:51 PM
Quote from: Alan S on March 16, 2019, 04:28:32 PM
Since this is going to be a long range (I'm guessing touring) missle, any reason you didn't opt for the later model with the 6 sp?

Is that how you did yours? If so, please share how you did the mid shift.  Does it look clean and use all oem FXR primary drive parts like the '99-'00 FL transmission does? Please post up a few pictures of your TC FXR with the later six speed transmission.

Since I'm not experienced with the TC/FXR conversion, I wasn't aware the 6 sp wouldn't fit.

Thanks for clearing that up, dick.

It wil fit. Easy. Its the mid shift that is the issue. An FXR inner primary case bolts on to the '99-'00 bagger trans. Anything after that requires a bunch of work, which either looks messy or leaks. Much easier to build a larger engine based on a TC88 platform or do a 6 in a five speed case. Not only has this been discussed several times on this forum, but on the other forum that you spend time on. I think it has even been discussed in this thread.

-The Dick (Badge of honor).
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ecir50

lol need to save that for a copy and paste and move on. Respect your choice since you run with the guys that have gone the path above, surely some of them have the TC with 6 speed done right? I am running evo with 98 touring case so get it but not against a TC 6 speed if done right. If went 6 speed route would seek out fabkevin how he went about addressing the mid controls. Recall seeing someone dong similar with a 2018-19 models adding mid controls.       

turboprop

Quote from: ecir50 on March 17, 2019, 11:44:07 AM
lol need to save that for a copy and paste and move on. Respect your choice since you run with the guys that have gone the path above, surely some of them have the TC with 6 speed done right? I am running evo with 98 touring case so get it but not against a TC 6 speed if done right. If went 6 speed route would seek out fabkevin how he went about addressing the mid controls. Recall seeing someone dong similar with a 2018-19 models adding mid controls.     

Have tried it myself, and seen some really good attempts at it. In the end, all them leaked or looked like they had some sort mouse trap thing where the shifter was supposed to be. The modified late model six speed stuff looks in magazines and and such, but have never seen one on the road with miles that was functional. The best I have ever seen is my friend Franks that runs a late model bagger drive train that uses a single shift lever off of the front of the primary drive. He runs a reverse pattern shift drum. It works and doesn't leak. I think this might be about the tenth time I have explained this on this forum. Gets old.

Going forward, please take all this side show peripheral noise to a different thread. Would rather not mussy up my build thread with endless taste great/less filling bs.

pwmorris

Quote from: turboprop on March 17, 2019, 12:23:28 PM

Have tried it myself, and seen some really good attempts at it. In the end, all them leaked or looked like they had some sort mouse trap thing where the shifter was supposed to be. The modified late model six speed stuff looks in magazines and and such, but have never seen one on the road with miles that was functional. The best I have ever seen is my friend Franks that runs a late model bagger drive train that uses a single shift lever off of the front of the primary drive. He runs a reverse pattern shift drum. It works and doesn't leak. I think this might be about the tenth time I have explained this on this forum. Gets old.

Going forward, please take all this side show peripheral noise to a different thread. Would rather not mussy up my build thread with endless taste great/less filling bs.

Yup,
The "getting personal", name calling, lack of appreciation for someone who has an outstanding build here, (and who is sharing it and his expert advice on a TECH site for free), is not cool-and doesn't belong on a legit tech forum.
Some want free advice, free hand holding step by step guidance, free parts' list to do something (lazy), and then question how that information is given, or even worse, suggest that "they heard from Billy Bob's tuners builder" that it can be done another way better or cheaper...unreal.
Learn-
Share personal work of your own (good or bad-at least you are in the game)-
Give advice (based on the subject, and your own personal success or achievement)-
Stay In Your Lane-

turboprop

Quote from: pwmorris on March 17, 2019, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: turboprop on March 17, 2019, 12:23:28 PM

Yup,
The "getting personal", name calling, lack of appreciation for someone who has an outstanding build here, (and who is sharing it and his expert advice on a TECH site for free), is not cool-and doesn't belong on a legit tech forum.
Some want free advice, free hand holding step by step guidance, free parts' list to do something (lazy), and then question how that information is given, or even worse, suggest that "they heard from Billy Bob's tuners builder" that it can be done another way better or cheaper...unreal.
Learn-
Share personal work of your own (good or bad-at least you are in the game)-
Give advice (based on the subject, and your own personal success or achievement)-
Stay In Your Lane-

To get this back on track, my new Rekluse clutch pack arrived this weekend. Really neat stuff. Will post some pics. Going to run it with the AIM variable pressure plate.  Spoke with someone at Rekluse, they had never heard of AIM, but are very interested in seeing how their clutch pack works with the variable pressure plate. They offered to swap it out for free at 20k miles.

ecir50

Turbo, thanks for the update.

Pw, relax amigo its goin to be ok. I try and follow your 4 rules but thread drift isn't going away, just not possible in these formats.

Anyway appreciate what both you guys offer the community.

turboprop

Update:

1. Installed Cycle Electric 3-Phase system. Wiring for it is completed.
2. Adjusted pushrods.
3. Swapped out mockup starter for an Alls Balls 1.4kw unit.
4. Installed FXRP saddle bags with custom mounts for non-P struts.
5. Bled rear bike system.
6. Installed Rekluse clutch w/VPC.
7. Installed FAB28 High-Output exhaust.
8. Sourced a set of NOS Chopper Guys aluminum side covers (not arrived yet).

As seen in the left side photos, there is still much to do on the wiring harness and I want to source another seat. That POS Harley Badlander is just there for mockup. I plan to give it to someone I don't like.

[/url]

Durwood

nosjunkie

Looks great Ed... How do you like the FAB28 pipe so far?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

rredneckn2

If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Deye76

Outstanding Ed, as usual.

Curious, why the 1.4  starter, and not a 1.7, a/c your motor size. fitment problems with a 1.7?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on June 17, 2019, 03:40:29 PM
Looks great Ed... How do you like the FAB28 pipe so far?

Haven't fired it yet, but the fit and finish are better than most. They quoted my three weeks ARO and it was on my porch ten business later. My scrutineering says its too small for a max effort 124, but that's not what this engine is. I think it will be just fine.

turboprop

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on June 17, 2019, 04:53:54 PM
Outstanding Ed, as usual.

Curious, why the 1.4  starter, and not a 1.7, a/c your motor size. fitment problems with a 1.7?

The 1.4 barley clears the bagger oil spout. In fact, it didn't right out of the box. I had to cut down one of the really long bolts that secures the end cap. As it is now the end cap is almost touching the oil spout. Yea, I can space the oil spout out, but with the electric compression releases, 84/9 ring and pinion gears, 25/36 primary drive, 860 CCA Anti Gravity battery, 2G battery cables and a measly 10.8 compression, I am somewhat confidant the 1.4 will spin it just fine.

akjeff

Looking good! Thanks for sharing the build.  :beer:
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

jmorton10

The AllBalls 1.7 can be a real PITA to install.

I ordered a black 1.4 once years ago for my at that time super high compression 95" RK.

I forget where I ordered it from, but they called me & said "we are out of the black 1.4 so we are sending you the all chrome version 1.7 for the same price". I asked if they fit exactly the same and they told me it should drop right it.

When the chrome one came, it looked amazing but it seemed like it was substantially bigger than a stock starter.  At the time, I didn't have a stock starter to compare it to.  I had given the stock starter to a buddy of mine who needed one for a custom he was building.

I tried for over an hour to get the damn thing in but there was no way it was going to just "drop in"  I finally called the place I got it from & got a very cool tech on the line who really knew his stuff.  He ran down all the mods necessary to get it to fit & one of them was to space out the oil fill spout almost an inch. He said they sold a machined aluminum spacer that moved the spout out. The spacer was something like $80.00 at the time, but since I had been so patient with him he was going to send me one for free.

That spacer along with a few other mods did get it to work fine (until the starter clutch went bad) but it was just another example of the "one size fits all" aftermarket parts that don't really fit anything without unexpected mods LOL.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Deye76

Not trying to hijack Ed's thread, FYI, All Balls has changed their starters. The 1.7 is actually a 1/4" shorter than 1.4.
Stock and AB 1.4 are 7-1/4" in length from the end of the shaft to backside.
The 1.7 is 7" even.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: turboprop on June 17, 2019, 11:47:48 AM
Update:

1. Installed Cycle Electric 3-Phase system. Wiring for it is completed.
2. Adjusted pushrods.
3. Swapped out mockup starter for an Alls Balls 1.4kw unit.
4. Installed FXRP saddle bags with custom mounts for non-P struts.
5. Bled rear bike system.
6. Installed Rekluse clutch w/VPC.
7. Installed FAB28 High-Output exhaust.
8. Sourced a set of NOS Chopper Guys aluminum side covers (not arrived yet).

As seen in the left side photos, there is still much to do on the wiring harness and I want to source another seat. That POS Harley Badlander is just there for mockup. I plan to give it to someone I don't like.

[/url]

In response to PM's requesting details about the primary drive;

1. Delkron '94 and up inner primary case.
2. Harley '04-'05 Outer cover
3. Twin Power solid primary sprocket 25 tooth.
4. RK primary chain
5. OEM clutch basket and hub w/ceramic bearing
6. Rekluse clutch pack
7. AIM billet pressure plate
8. AIM VPC95 variable pressure plate
9. Barnett spring
10. Evo industries 84 tooth ring gear w/corresponding 10 tooth pinion gear on Spike jackshaft components.
11. OEM late model primary chain adjuster w/solid shoe from Bandit Machine
12. Aluminum shifter tube w/bronze bushings honed to close fit to shifter shaft
13. NOS shifter shaft
14. Cycle Electric 3-Phase stator and rotor
15. Billet inspection cover from Vulcan Engineering
16. OEM 5-Bolt derby cover
17. All hardware is ARP polished 12pt.
18 Gaskets and seals are a mix of James and Cometic
19. Super Magnetic drain plug from Dimple.
20. Case will be filled with whatever brand Type F ATF fluid.

The FXR style inner primary case has to have one of the mounting holes modified for use with a bagger style trans case. For those familiar with the FXR setup, the mounting bolt that is accused from the right side of the bike, under the transmission, must have its threaded hole in the inner primary case drilled through and then spot faced. In addition to the two bolts that attach the inner primary to the transmission in the FXR configuration, the bagger configuration has a third mounting bolt at about the six o:clock position.

The shifter tube must be notched to provide clearance for the '04-'05 outer primary cover.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions about this setup or the project in general. Glad to share details and some of the specifics about why certain decisions were made.

Hossamania

Turboprop, I'm always impressed with your attention to detail, your skills in putting these bikes together, and your willingness to share the important minutia of building these potent machines. Thank you for your efforts to document all of that and openly share it. Just a great looking machine!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

choseneasy

^100% agree with Hoss.
  Learned a lot from Turbo's threads and it takes so much  trial and error out of a build like this if I ever get the opportunity.
  Really appreciate the knowledge you freely give!

HighLiner

turboprop

Quote from: HighLiner on June 23, 2019, 12:44:59 PM
Any pics of the inner primary mod?

The ship has passed for an opportunity to take a pic of the mod. However, anyone putting a bagger trans case into an FXR and using an FXR inner primary will understand everything that I have written below. No t saying you are one, but really have no time to entertain the curiosity seekers.

PSA - Anyone that is doing an FXR/TC conversion and needs more clarification on this aspect is very welcome to PM me for one on one discussion about this modification.

1workinman

I enjoy seeing really nice work and attention to detail appreciate you posting the build so folks can learn from it