March 28, 2024, 03:20:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's needed to go 124"?

Started by Mainecat, April 26, 2019, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainecat

I have a 17 RGS with an SE 114" stage 3 kit, a TTS 200 cam, SE 10 disc clutch, SE 64TB w/ported manifold, SE heavy breather, fullsac header and forsch slip on's-

What is necessary to upgrade to a 124"?  Different cam plate & pump?  Anything else? Guessing my cam is fine.

rigidthumper

Drop on 4.25 bore kit, AIM spdr clutch hat, retune.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Mainecat

No cam plate or pump needed?  Stock is fine?

Shoreglide

No need to even open up the cam chest if you're just going to 124 and keeping that cam.

shindig

Just cylinders, pistons, and top end gaskets if you are keeping the same cam.  And of course a new tune....

Vision

I would not do it without swapping out the oil pump to a Feuling race oil pump and cam plate.  I do t trust the Harley oil pump or the new seal.  I'd also take the opportunity to sure up the rocker arms with Feuling rocker arm shafts. 

I believe the Fuel Moto kits comes with pre gapped piston rings and honed cylinders, which can Safe you some time.

HD/Wrench

Drop on kits are all honed , we as most shop will pre gap the rings not huge deal .

The HD pump with seal on the back works very well , if you want upgrade pump you can not needed in my opinion .  Check the piston jet oilers though .

Mainecat

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 30, 2019, 05:52:17 AM
Drop on kits are all honed , we as most shop will pre gap the rings not huge deal .

The HD pump with seal on the back works very well , if you want upgrade pump you can not needed in my opinion .  Check the piston jet oilers though .

Thanks!

Mainecat

Just an update.  Revolution 124" installed with original factory 17 oil pump still in place.  Piston oil jets were loose, however tightened up and loctite added to screws.  Sumped in less than 300 miles after riding around 3,500 rpm's for about 40 minutes straight.  Added the Fueling race pump and cam plate- 1,500 miles later, so far no sumping.

moose

glad it's ok

there is nothing you can't do with cubic dollars
Moose aka Glenn-

les

While in there, I'd replace the rocker arm bolts with the Feuling studs and nuts kit.  Might want to replace the stock H-D lifter cuffs with the S&S stronger cuffs.  Wouldn't you also need to upgrade the injectors to something with higher grams per second?

BVHOG

Easily and very affordably done with the Daytona cylinders available through drag as well as the Wiseco black series pistons. Need to clean parts and gap rings and you are good to go. Don't be fooled by companies that simply mill off the little "D" logo on the cylinders and then come on these forums and claim to use S&S.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Jamie Long

Quote from: BVHOG on September 10, 2019, 07:13:24 AM
Easily and very affordably done with the Daytona cylinders available through drag as well as the Wiseco black series pistons. Need to clean parts and gap rings and you are good to go. Don't be fooled by companies that simply mill off the little "D" logo on the cylinders and then come on these forums and claim to use S&S.

I'm assuming you are referring to FM. Relative to your statement "Don't be fooled" is the fact each of the M8 big bore kits we offer clearly lists on our website which specific cylinders are supplied with each kit and where they are sourced. S&S has been our primary supplier since late last year.     

BVHOG

Quote from: Jamie Long on September 10, 2019, 08:10:22 AM

I'm assuming you are referring to FM. Relative to your statement "Don't be fooled" is the fact each of the M8 big bore kits we offer clearly lists on our website which specific cylinders are supplied with each kit and where they are sourced. S&S has been our primary supplier since late last year.   
So why machine off the D?   I think it's pretty clear you don't own a foundry (nor does S&S)and the Daytona cylinders have been excellent.  This must be the ad you refer to. https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23898140-fuel-moto-m8-124-piston-cylinder-kit-10-75-compression-for-107-engines.html  Says globally sourced and I have used them and they are a great item. Nowhere do I see S&S mentioned.  All I can say is what is wrong with a little honesty in advertising? Why come on here and say you use mostly S&S then the kits advertised are "Global"  Just be honest, they are Daytona cylinders probably sourced through Drag Specialties

Jamie Long

Quote from: BVHOG on September 10, 2019, 01:47:14 PM

So why machine off the D?   I think it's pretty clear you don't own a foundry (nor does S&S)and the Daytona cylinders have been excellent.  This must be the ad you refer to. https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23898140-fuel-moto-m8-124-piston-cylinder-kit-10-75-compression-for-107-engines.html  Says globally sourced and I have used them and they are a great item. Nowhere do I see S&S mentioned.  All I can say is what is wrong with a little honesty in advertising? Why come on here and say you use mostly S&S then the kits advertised are "Global"  Just be honest, they are Daytona cylinders probably sourced through Drag Specialties

Our most popular kits by far are the FM complete 124 & 128 kits which use cylinders that are supplied by S&S, it is clearly stated on our website these cylinder are "Made in Viola, WI USA" 124: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897757 128: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897756
All complete 124/128 kits sold after about December 2018 includes cylinders sourced from S&S. They are easily identified by the FM badge.

As for the kit you reference, these 124/128 piston/cylinder kits use "globally sourced aftermarket cylinders" as noted. We sourced these cylinders before they were even available from Drag. There are several reasons the "D" is machined off

BVHOG

Quote from: Jamie Long on September 10, 2019, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: BVHOG on September 10, 2019, 01:47:14 PM

Our most popular kits by far are the FM complete 124 & 128 kits which use cylinders that are supplied by S&S, it is clearly stated on our website these cylinder are "Made in Viola, WI USA" 124: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897757 128: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23897756
All complete 124/128 kits sold after about December 2018 includes cylinders sourced from S&S. They are easily identified by the FM badge.

As for the kit you reference, these 124/128 piston/cylinder kits use "globally sourced aftermarket cylinders" as noted. We sourced these cylinders before they were even available from Drag. There are several reasons the "D" is machined off
Fair enough, if there are several just give us one that makes sense.

Jamie Long

Quote from: BVHOG on September 11, 2019, 06:41:57 AM

Some of these cylinders required a machine op. This identifies the cylinder as finished, we also did the same thing on the first 4.250 cylinders we were using which were re-sleeved SE cylinders. 

BVHOG

Quote from: Jamie Long on September 11, 2019, 09:27:10 AM
Quote from: BVHOG on September 11, 2019, 06:41:57 AM

Some of these cylinders required a machine op. This identifies the cylinder as finished, we also did the same thing on the first 4.250 cylinders we were using which were re-sleeved SE cylinders.
Seems the logical place to machine a mark, right on top of the brand

motolocopat

Jeez it's not as if FM is claiming to have manufactured them in house.
And what does this have to do with the OP anyway?
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: motolocopat on October 06, 2019, 06:50:32 PM
Jeez it's not as if FM is claiming to have manufactured them in house.
And what does this have to do with the OP anyway?

If it isn't them, it is someone else.....and nothing to do with the OP, you are correct. :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"