March 28, 2024, 10:30:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need computer help with Thundermax basemap sent via email

Started by billbuilds, August 21, 2018, 04:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

Can anybody tell me how to take a Thundermax basemap that I received as an email attachment and get it loaded into the setup software on my computer so that I can get it downloaded into my TMax module? I do not have Windows Office; it looks like it's on an Excel spreadsheet. I was able to save the attachment as a download. But from there I'm lost. Bill

itsafatboy

if you have the file downloaded , then go into the tuner software and open that file , then you can down load it, and yes they look like excel when saved

billbuilds

August 23, 2018, 06:22:55 PM #2 Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:36:38 PM by billbuilds
      It finally dawned on me to put the cursor over the file image whereupon a small box appears inside which it reads open. Right click this and I can view my documents library.  The only problem is the documents library looks one way on the desk top but totally different on the PC. The new base map shows in the desktop Downloads library but not on the PC.  :scratch:    Thanks for steering in the right direction.  Bill

billbuilds

Well... dohh. Didn't realized that the PC is going to need its own "Downloads" in place and they don't just transfer over from the desktop (yeah, I'm REAL new to them lol)  So I got it opened on the TMax software but I'm still not sure how to download it to the module. Can't be that hard, I'm almost there. Bill

billbuilds

I ended going back to square one (like I should have from the beginning  :embarrassed:) and realized that once the map is showing in the installation window all I had to do was go into CONFIGURE and start the download to module process. I did initialize the newly downloaded map, the one that was emailed to me by the outfit that I bought the TMax from.
     In my infinite wisdom I had initially downloaded a map from the TMax library. It was for an S&S 124 HC whereas I have an LC. TB and injectors were the same but the exhaust was for true duals whereas I have a 2-into-1. I was pretty far out there and I could not seem to get it right. This new map was a whole lot nicer running in my first session. Just got thru downloading the Learned Fuel Adjustments and will see how it goes very shortly here.   Bill

billbuilds

I've done four sessions now, incorporating the Learned Fuel Adjustments after each one.  The bike was initially running better but still had some choppiness down low. It isn't any better down low after the four sessions. When I started it this morning there was a small  snap of a backfire out the pipe as it fired up. Goes great when you get up 50 in fourth and  65 in fifth but down lower it's not right. I've done the propane test four times and the smoke to the exhaust flanges twice and I didn't detect a leak. There are no codes showing. I think that I can rule out plug wires and/or coil since it runs decent in the middle range. Ye? Ne?
     I had a dyno session scheduled at one of the dealerships last Friday but got cold feet and cancelled because I was not convinced that I'd get a good tune from someone who does not tune Thundermax on a regular basis.  We got to talking about the possibility of me cutting my losses and going back to stock ECM with TTS.  I've probably put more miles on this S&S 124 LC than I should have with the two canned maps. I'm just going to put it up and come up with a plan for next spring. This late in the season I am about chinged out on that bike. Six months worth of property taxes due October 1 and the old truck needing timing belt and water pump plus heating season is just around the corner.  I'm tapping out.
      With the exception of John Morton offering and then emailing me a base map (which unfortunately I couldn't use because it was by cable and I am by wire) I am pretty bummed out with the Thundermax experience.  Bill

tommy g

10 years ago I was advised to spend hard earned cash on  Thunder Max.
While fun to learn and play with I discovered the bike had come with a perfectly fine, durable and programmable ecm.
A Delphi ecm and competent dyno tuner solves most of the worlds problems.
Still have that T Max in a drawer.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF