April 18, 2024, 05:15:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Throttle body and emmissions port, causing heat?

Started by vtwinjim, September 08, 2018, 07:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtwinjim

2015 (California) Limited with Dual cooled CVO 110 CI Engine and both engine and exhaust are completely stock. 32k miles

Can the emissions purge solenoid which connects the fuel tank thru the canister to a port on the throttle body be causing the bike to run too lean and cause the converter to heat up? Book just says ECM decides when to open it. Can I just pull the hose and put a plug on the throttle body port?

Picked up a CVO from a friend which still has extended warranty so I'm a little reluctant to do mods at this point. Especially since the engine just had to be completely rebuilt before my road trip. Metal in oil.

Bike was running at what I'd call normal heat on my legs but while on a two week trip it started to feel much hotter on my right leg.
It is very uncomfortable. I checked the area with temp gun and found the catalytic converter area is over 500 degrees even after a short 10 mile ride in 80 degree weather.

Eventually I'll be switching out the exhaust and getting a tune but looking for a fix before then.

Thanks guys.

KE5RBD

Pretty typical for the exhaust to run that hot with converter still in.  The 255 Cams tend to run pretty lean to pass emissions. A tuner with a richer tune would help some.  I think you can put a Screaming Eagle Pro STREET tuner on it without voiding the warranty.  The street tuner may be able to richen up enough to help some.  They are pretty limited in this area. I looked at a tune for yours in the Street tuner software and it will let you richen up the idle to 2500 rpm in the cruise area 4% and the rest of fuel VE table 10%.  It is already little more rich likely than stock tune to start with, as it is for a stage 1.  It would help some with the heat, but not nearly as much as another exhaust without converter.  You will also need a tuner when you do this exhaust swap. I know some of the CVO touring models had converter in the slip ons and not the head pipe.  Not sure on the 15.  I know my limited 14 non CVO had it in the head pipes.  Also on side note the performance can improve 5 to 10% with tuner and even little more with converter removed but not that much.  I have run many 1000 miles with stage 1 and 2 with converter still in with no issues. 

As far as the vacuum line doubt that would help much, as all it is doing is sucking the vapor off the tank and keeping it from being vented to the atmosphere.   
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.