April 23, 2024, 10:40:40 AM

News:

Spark Knock

Started by Paniolo, September 17, 2018, 07:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

2006 CVO Ultra, 103, 583 cams, SuperTrapp 2-1, TTS with O2 sensors.

All summer I've been chasing a spark knock issue, some of you may have read about it in my other posts. Yesterday I went for a nice long ride at altitude. I was hoping for knock so I could hook up the dongle and do a recording. Nothing, no ping at all. The only thing different than the last time was the weather. When it knocked during summer the temps were in the 90s and low 100s. Yesterday the temps were in the low 80s.

So all I can conclude is that it is a heat related issue?
Is this still worth chasing, or should I wait for an Indian Summer day and try again?

Thanks
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Ohio HD

Going higher in elevation also reduces the engine compression ratio. If you go high enough, it can be a significant change.

Paniolo

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 17, 2018, 08:05:10 AM
Going higher in elevation also reduces the engine compression ratio. If you go high enough, it can be a significant change.

But I was at the same elevation I was at earlier this summer.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

rigidthumper

September 17, 2018, 08:41:31 AM #3 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:06:54 AM by rigidthumper
There is a table, called Spark Temp Correction, and it allows reducing spark based on engine temp and map load. Still have to have data logs showing where/when knock occurred, but should be able to get the ping out with this and the main spark table.
Which 176 base map are you using?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

60wt

September 17, 2018, 10:04:57 AM #4 Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:35:21 PM by 60wt
07RK..255 cam..2into1 suppertrapp..TTS.     Had ping in summer heat also,  used  Data master to find ping, was only removing a few degrees timing in ping area couldn't seem to rid ping  then finally tried removing Timing AND ADDING Fuel to Surrounding area along with the use of Spark Temp Correction.. and IAT Spark Correction..am now ping free... and no loss in fuel milage...
I'm going nucking futs