April 16, 2024, 10:27:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

swap out Ultima Rockers

Started by hbkeith, December 26, 2018, 05:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

Trying to decide on swapping out the Rocker Arms on Ultima 113 before it goes in the frame , hear of them breaking  :nix:

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

gsxrboy96

They ultima rockers lesve a bit to be desired, ive always ran s&s and never had a problem.
Pick a lane

thumper 823

I guess I have missed the point as to why Ultima?
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

hbkeith

capn

If you dont change out the rockers just keep a close ear on the valve train noise.If it increases best to stop riding and start checking. Some say Ultima is using good rockers now. I got 8k on my 120 with no problems with S&S rockers and Feuling lifters. Best of luck to ya. By the way , dont pay heed to the Ultima haters.

hbkeith

S&S standard or forged rockers ?

Deye76

hbkeith

yeah , think I will swap them out , if not it will bug the "Potty mouth" out of me thinking about them

capn

I used the S&S roller rockers. 900-4065A

BKACHE

So what breaks on the roller rockers?
The arm itself or the roller wheel shaft?
When inspecting those rockers - none had any wear on the rollers.
I inspected when a beehive spring broke. I replaced all of them with the spring in spring type.
Dan

capn

I hear its the pushrod end that breaks or wears out.And it happens whithin 1k miles.If you have more miles than that you should be OK.

kd

KD

hbkeith

February 20, 2019, 01:41:02 AM #14 Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:05:31 AM by hbkeith
Anyone done the swap to S&S Forged Rocker Arms , I could swear I read in my manual that the stock Ultima Rockers in my Ultima 113 are 1.725:1 ratio , called S&S just to make sure I had correct part number threw D.S. , they said no I need the 1.625:1 arms ?   Just looked at Ultima website as my manual is buried in a pile while rooms are empty for carpet , says the Ultimas have 1.675:1 ratio  , which way ?

Hillside Motorcycle

Pushrod cup in the rocker arm will become galled.
Lack of heat treating correctly is what we suspect.
They will fracture also.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Deye76

"They will fractuif re also."

Yup. Have seen it happen, friends 100" Ultima. Seems like if it happens, it's within the first 3 or 4 thousand miles.

capn

Its true the ultima rockers have 1.675 ratio and S&s got 1.625. I got the S&S and you will lose a hair of lift and cam duration but I figured that was good in my opinion. Less strain on valve train.

hbkeith

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on February 20, 2019, 04:10:02 AM
Pushrod cup in the rocker arm will become galled.
Lack of heat treating correctly is what we suspect.
They will fracture also.
You replaced them with S&S 1.625:1 Scott ?

hbkeith

no one else has actualy done this swap to S&S ?

Deye76

Lot's of people have used S&S in a Ultima. I doubt you could feel the power difference between the Ultima 1.675 & S&S 1.625.

wfolarry

I ran the Ultima rockers in a Fatso motor I built about 12 years ago. The bushing went bad in them & I switched them out for S&S rollers. Only difference was the noise went away. No power difference.

MikeL

Ultima rockers 124 640 cams 8k miles No Problems...........

MIKE

capn

MIKEL, What date were those Ultima rocker bought? I know some have had good luck with them. Trying to figure out the common denominator. I got a brand new set of take outs .   

MikeL

Quote from: capn on March 05, 2019, 03:57:51 PM
MIKEL, What date were those Ultima rocker bought? I know some have had good luck with them. Trying to figure out the common denominator. I got a brand new set of take outs .   

Bought them used back in 2015 from a machine shop vendor from this site. Id say they were 2014 vintage? Do you think time is running out??

MIKE