April 19, 2024, 01:22:26 AM

News:

Clutch Issue/Suggestions

Started by 1997 fxstc, May 25, 2019, 04:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1997 fxstc

I have not been on here for quite awhile.  As the years have gone by I have developed a bad elbow and having an extremely hard time using my clutch; really depressing.  Still riding my 97 FXSTC.  Looking for some suggestions/experiences with some type of ez clutch such as Burly reduced clutch or even going to a foot clutch.  Thanks in advance.   

rigidthumper

Muller Power clutch ramp set works well, kind of expensive.  I'd replace the throwout bearing at the same time, and lube the cable well.
Should be enough to help with the issue.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

:agree:  I would add that if your clutch cable has a lot of miles on it, consider a new Barnett lined cable. Patience in making the fine adjustment that is required on the Muller Arm is key and the payback is huge (about 40%).  Many get frustrated and quit.  A new cable, if your's is worn, as well as lever bushings will help with making the fine free play adjustment that is required. I was amazed at the reduction with my Muller installation.
KD

Hossamania

Lube that cable and lever. If the clamp is worn badly with substantial grooves, think about a new one, along with a new plastic slide on the handle.
I have not had good luck using the Burly EZ pull, tough to adjust.
Many here love the Mueller.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

What about converting to hydraulic clutch?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Grip+exerciser&t=ffab&ia=products   :potstir:

Use TriFlow to lube your cable.

NO tight bends in the cable, use wide natural bends and a minimum of wire ties (leave ties loose so the cable can move).
NO bends right at the lever, the cable must run straight into the lever.

If the cable is not a lined cable replace it.

You don't need to be the Hulk to pull a HD clutch unless these issues are present.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

TRI Flow is my favorite lube. Shake it well, at least two or three minutes if it has been sitting for a few hours.

1997 fxstc

OK, thanks for the comments, cable runs good but I can not remember if I ordered a lined one or not.  I am going to try the Mueller set up, new cable and try the lube. 

FSG

while your're in there

fit a Baker Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing, their destructions are to remove the oil slinger, don't do that

fit a Shovel Trannie Spring over the Clutch Cable

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on May 25, 2019, 08:49:39 AM

-JW
i did on my trike and made a huge difference

Adam76

-JW
I would also be interested in how much difference the hydraulic clutch makes and if it's worth the $$$.

Also, what about installing a VP clutch?  Supposed to be 40% lighter lever pull at lower rpms?

Hossamania

Quote from: Adam76 on May 26, 2019, 07:59:58 PM

-JW
I would also be interested in how much difference the hydraulic clutch makes and if it's worth the $$$.

Also, what about installing a VP clutch?  Supposed to be 40% lighter lever pull at lower rpms?

All kinds of info here on vp clutches.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on May 26, 2019, 09:56:34 PM

-JW

All kinds of info here on vp clutches.
👍  Also info on combining mueller power clutch and vpc together.

screem

i run a tank shift, and foot clutch on my '95 softail.. never any problems..

1997 fxstc

Can you send me the part info on your foot clutch?  Thanks

turboprop

-JW

All of my harley's have hydraulic clutches and one of them has a VCP95. This is behind a built TC124 in an FXR chassis. This bike is setup for high speed touring. I really like the clutch setup. The hydraulics eliminate all adjustment BS and by design is almost maintenance free but yet always consistent in lever feel. The VPC gets mixed reviews on this page. One month everyone is trashing them, the next month the same guys are praising their virtues. Funny.

I like the VPC95. My particular setup is a '98 and up basket with a Rekluse clutch pack (Not the automatic type), the AIM pressure plate, a slightly stronger spring and the VPC95. The master cylinder is an OEM '96 and up style, the slave cylinder is from Performance Machine, the hydraulic line is from Galfer. I cannot imagine a better clutch setup for this application.

As for the claimed 40% lighter lever pull, well, I think that is a hard spec to quantify and/or have any sort of repeatable results. I can say this about the VPC95; with the oem spring for a standard bagger and the hydraulic setup I have, the effort to pull the lever is nothing. I have no idea what the pull is like with a cable setup.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

screem

i shattered my left arm and elbow years ago, so the foot clutch has been a great solution for me... i used to run it with a jockey shifter, back when it had flamed streched tanks and apes... when i found the present tank and fenders, i turned it into a tank shift

choseneasy

I put a VPC in a 2006 Road King with a clutch cable. I think I went to a lighter spring as well. The pull was a lot less and no slippage issues with the clutch were ever mentioned. My friend had major issues with torn tendons.
   Turboprop mentioned the Rekluse Auto clutch- not sure how it works- maybe that is an option?

turboprop

Quote from: choseneasy on June 22, 2019, 06:18:01 PM
I put a VPC in a 2006 Road King with a clutch cable. I think I went to a lighter spring as well. The pull was a lot less and no slippage issues with the clutch were ever mentioned. My friend had major issues with torn tendons.
   Turboprop mentioned the Rekluse Auto clutch- not sure how it works- maybe that is an option?

No I did not. I have the non auto clutch from Rekluse and run a VPC with it. I really like it behind the TC124.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

choseneasy

Oops- I mis-read your post Turboprop.
I did look up the Autoclutch out of curiosity- pricy but sounds like another option for the OP. If it works like I think it does it may be a good option for the OP ( and my friend).
  I'd be interested to hear more about it.

tdrglide

Rekluse torq drive clutch packs I believe fit 98-up clutch baskets. All that extra surface area in clutch pack allows it to hold higher horsepower or conversely will allow you to use a lighter clutch spring. Combine that with a  shallower ball ramp assembly, I use 18deg, makes for easier clutch pull.
Haven't tried it with a mueller kit, don't know if you would get enough travel / separation but works great with the 18deg ramps. And according to turboprop, works great with a vpc. For me, best clutch setup I've ever tried.

Deye76

"a  shallower ball ramp assembly, I use 18deg, makes for easier clutch pull. "

:up: I did the same, it helps.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Burnout

I don't like the reduced angle ball ramps as they in turn reduce clutch release travel and allow the clutch to drag.

Better to use one of the centrifugal clutches that have lighter springs and then the weights take over at speed to provide clamping force.

This however is the best solution  here
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"