Labor Cost to rebuild a 1990 softail transmission?

Started by Evo160K, June 04, 2019, 07:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo160K

Jim's race cut transmission with 195,000 miles. It's had a loud whine in third gear since new on day one, but it's working well.  Thinking it might be time for some freshening up, and am trying to get an idea of the costs.

About what should labor run to remove it from the bike, freshen it and reinstall it?  What should the usual gaskets, oils and other normal, replacement items run?  Thanks very much.

turboprop

Quote from: Evo160K on June 04, 2019, 07:42:09 PM
Jim's race cut transmission with 195,000 miles. It's had a loud whine in third gear since new on day one, but it's working well.  Thinking it might be time for some freshening up, and am trying to get an idea of the costs.

About what should labor run to remove it from the bike, freshen it and reinstall it?  What should the usual gaskets, oils and other normal, replacement items run?  Thanks very much.

Your language of 'remove it' is somewhat vague. It could mean to remove either the entire transmission or just the gear set and associated minutia. The later option is much less expensive.  A rebuild kit from Jims will be about $200 retail but will not include any gears. This will also require the inner primary case and probably the rear exhaust pipe to be removed. The gasket/seal kit for the primary is about $60 retail. Labor will be about five hours there and back. To remove the entire trans case will require additional labor.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Evo160K

Quote from: turboprop on June 05, 2019, 09:33:02 AM

Your language of 'remove it' is somewhat vague. It could mean to remove either the entire transmission or just the gear set and associated minutia. The later option is much less expensive.  A rebuild kit from Jims will be about $200 retail but will not include any gears. This will also require the inner primary case and probably the rear exhaust pipe to be removed. The gasket/seal kit for the primary is about $60 retail. Labor will be about five hours there and back. To remove the entire trans case will require additional labor.

Turboprop, thanks for your reply.  Refurbishing the trans in place didn't occur to me.  As long as it could be done properly, I would be fine with either way, so it would come down to total cost.  How much additional labor would be required if the entire trans were removed?  Thanks a lot.

JW113

Have to ask, why are you fixing that which is not broke? If it's had a whine from day one, and still does, what is the the issue? Is it leaking? HD transmissions are built like Muncie 465 truck four speeds, they are pretty damn tough. Are there any symptoms other than it makes the same noises it always has? Oh and it's got a lot of miles on it, but in my book that does not mean it's worn out. Save your money, buy beer!
:beer:
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on June 05, 2019, 04:35:41 PM
Have to ask, why are you fixing that which is not broke? If it's had a whine from day one, and still does, what is the the issue? Is it leaking? HD transmissions are built like Muncie 465 truck four speeds, they are pretty damn tough. Are there any symptoms other than it makes the same noises it always has? Oh and it's got a lot of miles on it, but in my book that does not mean it's worn out. Save your money, buy beer!
:beer:
:SM:

-JW
why fix whats not broke

turboprop

Quote from: Evo160K on June 05, 2019, 02:21:53 PM
Quote from: turboprop on June 05, 2019, 09:33:02 AM

Turboprop, thanks for your reply.  Refurbishing the trans in place didn't occur to me.  As long as it could be done properly, I would be fine with either way, so it would come down to total cost.  How much additional labor would be required if the entire trans were removed?  Thanks a lot.

Almost all of the work needed to rebuild that transmission will be done to the gear set/trap door assembly while it is out of the case and on the bench. See for the drum, blocks and pawl. With all that stuff out of the case the only things left to be done are to replace the the two left side bearings and possibly the bushing for the shifter pawl. All of which is easily done with the case in the frame.

As for removing the case from the chassis, the removal is easy. Installation is a bit involved as it must be aligned to the engine case. That trans case is almost thirty years old. Plenty of time for hacks to damage the various threaded holes. If it were my case, it would come out, go into the rotating steam cleaner, most of the threaded holes would get Time-Certs and it would go to the powder coater. Bottom line, I am not the person to ask about labor rates or times. I simply dont operate within that parameter.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Flhfxd

If you do have a problem, take the primary off, extract the gear set and work on that. No need to haul out the transmission.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

MikeL

I did a 5 speed in a 99 dyna. pulled the guts out with the trap door. Remove the primary etc.
I'm not working on dealer time logs and not running short cuts. Every part is cleaned and thoroughly inspected. Took me about 8 hrs to R&R and then the road test maybe an hr. I used a Baker kit. Came with everything except primary cover gasket, inspection gasket, big o-ring, starter shaft seal, input shaft bearing and seal.

MIKE

Evo160K

Thank you good people one and all for your input.  They certainly answer my questions.  Thanks again.