April 20, 2024, 02:13:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

transmission oil

Started by nw69fl, June 14, 2019, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nw69fl

What brand and weight do most guys use for a 1996 Fat Boy tranny and primary?

Ohio HD

Use 80w90 gear oil in the transmission, use a primary specific lube in the primary. Brand doesn't matter, change it when needed. 

HD
Drag Specialties
Red Line
Amsoil
Spectro
etc.
etc.

They all work.

JW113

I've been pretty happy with Redline V-twin with shock proof in the trans, and any good brand name ATF type F in the primary.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FTBY55

What is the benefit of running ATF in the primary?

guppymech

June 15, 2019, 06:50:12 AM #4 Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:57:45 AM by guppymech
Quote from: FTBY55 on June 14, 2019, 10:55:01 PM
What is the benefit of running ATF in the primary?
ATF is designed to lube wet clutches, gears and chains in automatic transmissions so it's just about perfect for our primary.  I've read Type F is the one to use with our clutches, I seem to remember that Barnett used to say to use it with their discs.   There's lots of good info in this thread:
https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/engine-oils-lubrication/136694-some-observations-atf.html
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Burnout

ATF is thin and you get a better clutch release (less drag).
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

tdrglide

For my 92 fxr trany I go to the auto parts store and get whatever 75w-90w synthetic gear oil they have. Valvoline or Mobile. For the primary stop by the local indy and buy whatever he has. Last time it was S&S.  I only change it every couple years or so. So....

screem

I went with Redline Shockproof a couple years back, i was tracking down an oil leak behind the primary, with the redline being pink, it made it easy to figure out that it was inner primary seal, not the transmission seal. i dont notice any difference in shifting,finding neutral. I stick with it for the color difference

Wide Glide

I use BelRay transmission oil, I'm happy with it.
Transmission is much quieter, easy to find neutral.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

Dan89flstc

Any gear lube will work fine, no reason to spend crazy money on gear lube for a 5 speed.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic