March 28, 2024, 11:26:23 AM

News:

Can anybody identify this cam?

Started by Karl H., February 11, 2019, 10:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl H.

A buddy of mine sent me this pic of his preowned TC88 which was upgraded with hydraulic tensioners by the first owner. His question: Can you please tell me what cam it is?  :nix:

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

JMHD

Looks like a stock B cam. It is usually stamped on the other side. Pic is blurry when I zoom in though. A = carburetor B= fuel injection, or the other way around, been a while.

PC_Hater

If the bike has had the hydraulic conversion done using the roller chain then the bike is 1999 to 2006 and those cams can't be the originals.
Probably one of the Andrews Conversion cams.
The internet seems to think the markings that identify the cams are on the inside.
Bit of a pain if it is true!
Try measuring the lift.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

JMHD

They are stock cams. I am on my pc now not my phone and can see the pic better. You can run stock cams with the screaming eagle conversion, I have installed many. Hope that helps.

PoorUB

Quote from: PC_Hater on February 11, 2019, 01:08:15 PM
If the bike has had the hydraulic conversion done using the roller chain then the bike is 1999 to 2006 and those cams can't be the originals.
The internet seems to think the markings that identify the cams are on the inside.
Try measuring the lift.

If he used the Screamin' Chicken cam plate they can be stockers. They have ball bearings on the outer so for sure it is a SE cam plate and "style style" cams.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PC_Hater

Quote from: PoorUB on February 11, 2019, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: PC_Hater on February 11, 2019, 01:08:15 PM
Try measuring the lift.

If he used the Screamin' Chicken cam plate they can be stockers. They have ball bearings on the outer so for sure it is a SE cam plate and "style style" cams.
Ah. You can just see 'Scr' in the picture, I thought the official HD conversion included new cams too...
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

PoorUB

Crap!

and "style style" cams

"stock style" cams!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Karl H.

Thanks so far guys! I still doubt that we see a stock cam. Stockers don't show any marks on the outer face imho.

Karl

remington007

I have a pile of stock Harley cams, i have one with identical marks.

That's the old model SE cam plate. It still has a silent chain with a hydrolic tensioner on the back and that tensioner should be checked for wear (the silent chain ate hydrolic tensioners too). If you pull the plate to check the tensioner shoe, you'll know for certain what cam you're dealing with, and have one less wear item to worry about... win-win and you're already most of the way there based on this picture.

rigidthumper

Seen a thousand of them. Those are stock HD cams.

Stock 88 (B) 02/34  216 255 .473 .087 Stock Fuel injected engine: stock cam data listed for reference.
                   42/-03 219 259 .474 .110 (Stock engine output is approximately 62 HP)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fbn ent

Quote from: 838 on February 12, 2019, 01:58:26 PM
That's the old model SE cam plate. It still has a silent chain with a hydrolic tensioner on the back and that tensioner should be checked for wear (the silent chain ate hydrolic tensioners too). If you pull the plate to check the tensioner shoe, you'll know for certain what cam you're dealing with, and have one less wear item to worry about... win-win and you're already most of the way there based on this picture.

IIRC, from what I have been led to believe here, that update is holding up well.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

I don't know anybody that looses sleep over it, but it is a wear item and an excuse to pull the plate, and check to see if the inner bearings were replaced too. If it's a stock cam I just found this on eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crane-300-2-For-Early-Twin-Cam-Harley-Davidson-torque-cam/163528759488?hash=item261312d8c0:g:yYEAAOSwhzRacKNZ

That'd bold in most 88 applications real well ;)

Ohio HD

They say used, "dyno time". They sure look like they've been polished to try and clean them up. Look at the sprockets.

Karl H.

Thanks alot guys. I'm convinced now these cams are stock  :SM:

Karl

Ohio HD

Unless they were reground...      :potstir: