April 18, 2024, 07:00:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sportster wet sumping

Started by ready2ride, July 18, 2018, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ready2ride

2004 sportster ,Motor is sumping...put a new oil pump complete from hd in it.....still sumping, what am I looking for next?..
i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

rigidthumper

Broken/stuck piston jets is possible.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ready2ride

I pulled the top end off and looked at them when I had it apart and didn't see anything unusual about them

aswracing

Sportsters have had wet sumping issues for about forever.
There was a major revision to the pump in 1998. They extended the pump body so they could make the scavenge side much bigger. They also plugged the drain between the cam box and the crankcase, and put a scavenge inlet into the neck of the pump which sticks up into the cam box.
Then there was another revision in 2000 to change the porting in the pump body.
The issue got a ton worse in 2004 when Sportsters got piston squirters.
The next revision of the pump came along in 2007 to try to fix that. Here's their blurb on it:

As with the other revisions, this one was all about improving scavenging.

You didn't put gapless rings into it by chance did you? Believe it or not, it really aggravates the wet sumping. It seems a little blow-by actually helps with the scavenging, by putting some positive pressure on the inlet side of the pump. I've seen this several times, throw some gapless rings into a motor and they start wet sumping.

If you've got a problem motor, there's a fix. You can do a bypass that lets you reduce the oil pressure. It's kind of a hack, though. Ideally you get the factory design to work.

Panzer

I have an 07', no problems (knock on wood) so I guess the problem was solved.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

ready2ride

Quote from: aswracing on July 19, 2018, 05:14:40 AM
Sportsters have had wet sumping issues for about forever.
There was a major revision to the pump in 1998. They extended the pump body so they could make the scavenge side much bigger. They also plugged the drain between the cam box and the crankcase, and put a scavenge inlet into the neck of the pump which sticks up into the cam box.
Then there was another revision in 2000 to change the porting in the pump body.
The issue got a ton worse in 2004 when Sportsters got piston squirters.
The next revision of the pump came along in 2007 to try to fix that. Here's their blurb on it:

As with the other revisions, this one was all about improving scavenging.

You didn't put gapless rings into it by chance did you? Believe it or not, it really aggravates the wet sumping. It seems a little blow-by actually helps with the scavenging, by putting some positive pressure on the inlet side of the pump. I've seen this several times, throw some gapless rings into a motor and they start wet sumping.

If you've got a problem motor, there's a fix. You can do a bypass that lets you reduce the oil pressure. It's kind of a hack, though. Ideally you get the factory design to work.

I put that oil pump on it ands its still sumping

J.Kinkade

Just wondering when your motor is Sumping? like on start up or after a long ride reving motor? & how high are you reving it?