March 28, 2024, 10:03:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Quote from: IronButt70 on August 09, 2019, 01:34:49 PM
Quote from: road-dawgs1 on August 08, 2019, 05:53:59 PM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on August 08, 2019, 05:28:49 PM
FWIW, I just saw a video from Sturgis that showed a 2019 Street Glide 114 that had the primary vent tube pre-installed.

I've read that 5/19 and after build dates came with the vent.
Was roaming around the local dealer this AM looking to see if any on the floor had the vent. Nope. Salesman saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told him primary vents. He said OK and walked away. Think he knew what I was talking about?  :scratch:
That's pretty funny...and sad
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Pete_Vit

Quote from: SixShooter14 on August 09, 2019, 01:49:18 PM
FWIW, I just saw a video from Sturgis that showed a 2019 Street Glide 114 that had the primary vent tube pre-installed.

Was roaming around the local dealer this AM looking to see if any on the floor had the vent. Nope. Salesman saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told him primary vents. He said OK and walked away. Think he knew what I was talking about?  :scratch:
so if you buy a bike on the dealership floor and it does not have the vent, are they going to charge you to install it? part of the 'DEALER PREP'  :emoGroan:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Pete_Vit on August 12, 2019, 06:03:16 AM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on August 09, 2019, 01:49:18 PM

so if you buy a bike on the dealership floor and it does not have the vent, are they going to charge you to install it? part of the 'DEALER PREP'  :emoGroan:

That would be sad. However, if it is a migrator it would be done under warranty.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

grizbo

Old HTT member but new guy here. Wife just got a new FLRT (01/19 build) and we're wondering what the chances are of dealing with this migration issue. I've been fully aware of it the last few weeks after following this thread, but haven't seen any stats on how common it is overall on the M8 bikes. After finishing with the finance dude I asked the service manager and he said they've seen it only a few times...so pretty rare. Anybody know %-ages? Really hope he's right!

borrec

Quote from: grizbo on August 13, 2019, 04:29:32 PM
Old HTT member but new guy here. Wife just got a new FLRT (01/19 build) and we're wondering what the chances are of dealing with this migration issue. I've been fully aware of it the last few weeks after following this thread, but haven't seen any stats on how common it is overall on the M8 bikes. After finishing with the finance dude I asked the service manager and he said they've seen it only a few times...so pretty rare. Anybody know %-ages? Really hope he's right!

Must be happening enough that Harley is now shipping bikes with Primary vent.

kd

Only a few times too many AFAIC.  This has been going on since the inception of the M8 touring bikes.  It appears there is now a cheap bandaid repair to mask the problem.  How many M8 touring bikes is the dealer seeing?  How many have lost use of their new motorcycles waiting for a remedy?  How many are out there running around undetected because "who checks their transmission and primary levels every few hundred miles or less"?     :scratch:
KD

FSG

QuoteI asked the service manager and he said they've seen it only a few times.

well he's towing the Party (HD) Line with that "..  seen it only a few times."

does your wifes FLRT have a vent tube off the primary ?

grizbo

No vent tube (yet!), but as I understand only those built after May 1 do...correct me if wrong. We got a decent discount since they wanna move 19s so willing to chase this if necessary. I agree its BS though, and thought it sucked they lied about it. Definitely not good for the tranny to operate dry so we'll monitor the level very closely.

klammer76

They all say that  :wink:

HogMike

Ride a few miles, pull the trans dipstick and see if there's any oil on it.
Repeat as necessary up to 5k miles and check along the way to see when and if and how much is migrating.
As soon as you get a dry dipstick take it to the dealer and have them install the vent hose kit.
:gob:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

metaliser

From what I just heard, if you have transfer now, just tell the dealer and they will fix without a fuss, or at least without all the fill up, bring it back crap.

stro1965

I had transfer in the first 500 miles on my new '19. The selling dealer wanted to play games and beat around the bush so I went to a different one, he ordered the vent kit that day and it was installed 3 days later. I then called the selling dealership to tell them that their competition took care of me.

HogMike

Quote from: stro1965 on August 15, 2019, 10:01:29 PM
I had transfer in the first 500 miles on my new '19. The selling dealer wanted to play games and beat around the bush so I went to a different one, he ordered the vent kit that day and it was installed 3 days later. I then called the selling dealership to tell them that their competition took care of me.

Just like my new one!
Sometimes you have to "educate " the dealer to a real problem. The end customer is the survival for the dealership. It's hard to run a company with no repeat customers!
If you can get the service manager to LOOK for the problem AND run it up the ladder AND get a fix either temporary or permanent it really helps with customer relations.
JME :chop:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

FSG

well now that the 2020's have been released anyone wanting to do the Primary Vent themselves can just get the Hose (Vent) rather than the Vent Kit

Hose  26500026   $3.xx

Vent Kit  26500027   $37.xx

Destructions

road-dawgs1

Quote from: FSG on August 21, 2019, 07:52:58 PM
well now that the 2020's have been released anyone wanting to do the Primary Vent themselves can just get the Hose (Vent) rather than the Vent Kit

Hose  26500026   $3.xx

Vent Kit  26500027   $37.xx

Sooooo that means the template was worth $34?  :hyst: In all seriousness, this is a good deal for those that reuse the primary cover gasket and save a few bucks.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

msnyder

Tried to look up the hose only #.. I was wondering if they would still include the template?

FSG

Quote from: msnyder on August 22, 2019, 06:36:13 AM
   Tried to look up the hose only #.. I was wondering if they would still include the template?

template will only be in the kit

BUT there's enough info around on it that you could print your own

IMO you wont need it

msnyder

PFWiz

My CVO did not migrate until it had about 7500 plus miles on it. Got the vent kit installed (under warranty) and went on a 4800 mile ride. All the fluid is still where it belongs....

Jfab6969

Does anyone who has installed the kit themselves know if all the 18's have the oil deflector in the trans? I just picked up a used 18 CVO and purchased the kit as a preventative measure. Just trying to figure out if I need to pull the trans cover off or not. I do not see a deflector in the parts phische.
Thanks

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Jfab6969 on August 28, 2019, 04:21:02 PM
Does anyone who has installed the kit themselves know if all the 18's have the oil deflector in the trans? I just picked up a used 18 CVO and purchased the kit as a preventative measure. Just trying to figure out if I need to pull the trans cover off or not. I do not see a deflector in the parts phische.
Thanks

The oil deflector came standard on the 19's. An 18 would only have it if it was installed as one of the earlier attempts at a fix.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

dogger

IronButt70, I did the same thing. Out of all the bikes in two dealerships only one had what looked like a rubber vent hose of some kind. The sales guy also asked what I was looking for. After I told him, he tried to BS me into believing the problem was nipped in the budd. I'm gonna wait till this is properly taken care of before I spend one dime.

IronButt70

Quote from: dogger on September 02, 2019, 08:26:21 AM
IronButt70, I did the same thing. Out of all the bikes in two dealerships only one had what looked like a rubber vent hose of some kind. The sales guy also asked what I was looking for. After I told him, he tried to BS me into believing the problem was nipped in the budd. I'm gonna wait till this is properly taken care of before I spend one dime.
When are sales people going to figure out that they can't BS people who do their homework and know the issues. Hurts sales and makes them look foolish.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 02, 2019, 01:45:51 PM
When are sales people going to figure out that they can't BS people who do their homework and know the issues. Hurts sales and makes them look foolish.
It wouldn't be the first time.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.