March 28, 2024, 07:19:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifters

Started by wfolarry, January 01, 2016, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfolarry

January 01, 2016, 02:11:01 PM Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:19:48 AM by wfolarry
I am now a distributor for these lifters. This is the original lifter that came stock in the earlier Twin cams. The other lifter is a high performance version with slow leak down & pin oiling. I will be offering these for $79[set of 4]for the standard lifter & $149 for the performance lifter. If you're doing a cam change & want some new lifters to go with it give them a try.
MADE IN THE USA

Performance lifter.

The one on the left is the original lifter, the one on the right is the performance lifter.

No Cents

these lifters?
what do you have there Larry?

added later:
I see them now  :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

wfolarry

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures.

I'll have those springs you want soon.  :up:

FSG

They are big pix 1500 x 2000 pixels so it might be better to reduce them somewhat or post them using the BBC embed code rather than using img tags.   

[smg id=2575]

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/MGalleryItem.php?id=2575

[img]http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/MGalleryItem.php?id=2575[ /img]

[smg id=2576]

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/MGalleryItem.php?id=2576

[img]http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/MGalleryItem.php?id=2576[ /img]

wfolarry

Thanks FSG. Feel free to fix up any pictures I post. I know you'll do a better job than me.  :up:

Rockout Rocker Products

Hi Larry & welcome!

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

:up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

FSG

Larry curious about the B-2313SE on the box in the pic, & welcome.

[attach=0]

wfolarry

January 01, 2016, 06:04:21 PM #7 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:22:09 AM by wfolarry
That's the part # for the performance lifter. The sheet that I posted was an explanation of how the lifter was built. The A on that sheet is for an individual lifter. B for a box of 4.

harley_cruiser

January 01, 2016, 06:15:25 PM #8 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:13:34 AM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers
Quote from: wfolarry on January 01, 2016, 02:11:01 PM
I am now a distributor for these lifters. This is the original B lifter that came stock in the earlier Twin cams. The other lifter is a high performance version with slow leak down & pin oiling. I will be offering these at an introduction price of $69 [set of 4]for the B lifter & $99 for the performance lifter. This price will be good until March 1st. If you're doing a cam change & want some new lifters to go with it give them a try.
MADE IN THE USA
Humm I thought that18538-99 , was the Johnson and that a, and b were Delphi.

sfmichael

:up: congrats Larry - I've heard good things about these
Colorado Springs, CO.

lilchief

The last set of lifters I had in my '02 FLHT before I traded it in were the Johnson-Hylift. They were nice & quiet.

Lil Chief

No Cents

Larry...I know you like to use limiters in lifters.
Do those performance lifters have limiters in them?

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

wfolarry

Quote from: No Cents on January 02, 2016, 09:11:12 AM
Larry...I know you like to use limiters in lifters.
Do those performance lifters have limiters in them?

Ray

No they don't.

Ohio HD

Will they support S&S limiter washers?

jm7480

I there a particular cam profile or lift where the high performance lifter would be a better choice than the B lifter. In other words what criteria would I use to choose the B over the high performance and vice versa. Aslo haow can i order at the intro price , you website has the regular price listed.

wfolarry

January 02, 2016, 05:42:40 PM #15 Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:59:41 AM by wfolarry
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 02, 2016, 12:12:26 PM
Will they support S&S limiter washers?

I'll take one apart & see.

Quote from: jm7480 on January 02, 2016, 02:59:47 PM
I there a particular cam profile or lift where the high performance lifter would be a better choice than the B lifter. In other words what criteria would I use to choose the B over the high performance and vice versa. Aslo haow can i order at the intro price , you website has the regular price listed.

The springs, RPM & lift will all factor in. If you like running it hard get the performance lifter. If you're a cruiser get the standard lifter. That's the basics. PM me for the lifters. They're only advertised for that price here.

wfolarry

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on January 01, 2016, 06:15:25 PM
I am now a distributor for these lifters. This is the original B lifter that came stock in the earlier Twin cams. The other lifter is a high performance version with slow leak down & pin oiling. I will be offering these at an introduction price of $69 [set of 4]for the B lifter & $99 for the performance lifter. This price will be good until March 1st. If you're doing a cam change & want some new lifters to go with it give them a try.
MADE IN THE USA

You're right. I'm so used to calling the older stock lifters 'B lifters' that I wasn't thinking when I was typing.  :embarrassed:
These lifters are the original design that was developed for the Twin Cam when they came out. These are different than the 'B' lifter which was a Delphi. I like these because they use a forged body & they're held to closer tolerances. Here's a link to an older thread about lifters dating back to 2009 that gives a good description of the lifters. See post 12.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,14708.msg147892.html#msg147892

harley_cruiser

Quote from: wfolarry on January 04, 2016, 03:15:56 PM
Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on January 01, 2016, 06:15:25 PM
MADE IN THE USA

You're right. I'm so used to calling the older stock lifters 'B lifters' that I wasn't thinking when I was typing.  :embarrassed:
These lifters are the original design that was developed for the Twin Cam when they came out. These are different than the 'B' lifter which was a Delphi. I like these because they use a forged body & they're held to closer tolerances. Here's a link to an older thread about lifters dating back to 2009 that gives a good description of the lifters. See post 12.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,14708.msg147892.html#msg147892
Yes and the c is Mexican junk:-)
I have run two or three sets of the Johnsons with good luck, one set of the b because they were free.
Tell me why can we run the Delphi in our cars for 200k with no problem and the "experts" recommend changing them every 25 k in our bikes when they are baisicly the same lifter.
Are our bikes that hard on them or just that they cause more problems when they fail?

wfolarry

The way it was told to me they are that hard on them. That's why this lifter was designed to hold more oil. More of a 'cushion' effect. Whether that holds true or not I don't know. I think with more oil going to the top end it would help on some motors. Sometimes I see motors that are getting almost no oil to the top end. Others are fine.

doubletrouble

Life for a lifter in an automotive engine - like being in a good bar fight. Life for a lifter in a built big cubic in v twin - like steppin in the ring with a ufc fighter. No comparison . Even similarily built drag car engines - the valve train only works at 25% of the torture that we inflict on our v twins.

Ohio HD

harley_cruiser

Quote from: doubletrouble on January 06, 2016, 02:49:57 PM
Life for a lifter in an automotive engine - like being in a good bar fight. Life for a lifter in a built big cubic in v twin - like steppin in the ring with a ufc fighter. No comparison . Even similarily built drag car engines - the valve train only works at 25% of the torture that we inflict on our v twins.
But why? The lift is no higher, the ramp not steeper.

kd

Quote from: wfolarry on January 05, 2016, 02:13:10 PM
The way it was told to me they are that hard on them. That's why this lifter was designed to hold more oil. More of a 'cushion' effect. Whether that holds true or not I don't know. I think with more oil going to the top end it would help on some motors. Sometimes I see motors that are getting almost no oil to the top end. Others are fine.

Larry, liquids can not be compressed. Physics 101. There should be no "cushion" effect when compressing oil unless it is aerated (or the tolerances are so loose there is leak-down). If the oil is aerated having more oil in the larger reservoir would be worse than a smaller chamber. It goes without saying, extra leak-down is not a desirable trait either. Is the bore larger radius or deeper to give this extra volume?

Could it be the chamber is made larger by increasing the inside diameter  :scratch:  which therefore makes it easier to machine to closer tolerances? Then the extra oil would only be an unintended byproduct of the machining a larger radius.   :nix:  It is also possible the larger piston face area would do more work per sq. in of pressure which would / could result in less movement of the piston in the bore on valve lift stroke.
KD

Tsani

Dont know how it compared to the oil in a car environment but the oil in a harley can contain a lot of entrained air. So much so that many report frothing in the oil tank.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

wfolarry

Quote from: kd on January 07, 2016, 06:55:51 AM
Quote from: wfolarry on January 05, 2016, 02:13:10 PM

Larry, liquids can not be compressed. Physics 101. There should be no "cushion" effect when compressing oil unless it is aerated (or the tolerances are so loose there is leak-down). If the oil is aerated having more oil in the larger reservoir would be worse than a smaller chamber. It goes without saying, extra leak-down is not a desirable trait either. Is the bore larger radius or deeper to give this extra volume?

Could it be the chamber is made larger by increasing the inside diameter  :scratch:  which therefore makes it easier to machine to closer tolerances? Then the extra oil would only be an unintended byproduct of the machining a larger radius.   :nix:  It is also possible the larger piston face area would do more work per sq. in of pressure which would / could result in less movement of the piston in the bore on valve lift stroke.

Bad wording on my part. What I was trying to get across was there was a bigger reservoir because there is more oil going to the top end. While I understand that liquids don't compress this isnt a sealed chamber. The 'cushion' effect I was referring to was the lifter wouldn't run dry.