April 24, 2024, 11:53:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

A thought about the S&S oil pump

Started by les, April 29, 2019, 01:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

So, over the weekend I did an oil pressure adjustment on my Twin Cam S&S cam plate.  The M8 adjustment is on the oil pump rather than the Twin Cam cam plate.  Do you think that loosening and tightening the jam nut on the M8 pump can move the oil pump out of alignment?

BVHOG

Can't imagine how that could happen.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

les

When I loosened the jam nut (takes a 5/8" wrench) it was pretty tight.  Not a problem on the twin cam where the adjuster is on the cam plate.  So, I guess what you're saying is that the four oil pump screws hold the pump to the plate so hard that even hard twisting on the M8 S&S oil pump can't make it shift just a bit.  Ok.

ziggy24

FYI, that pump, according to S&S, is set at 45 psi from the factory.

les

Quote from: ziggy24 on May 06, 2019, 06:26:38 AM
FYI, that pump, according to S&S, is set at 45 psi from the factory.

Yes, but using an Arlen Ness oil pump gauge, it does not come out to that all the time.  My half turn adjustment (on my twin cam) got it to the 45 psi running a cooler engine.  It typically now runs in the 40 - 42 psi range on the highway running hot.  I had a friend check his Arlen Ness gauge on his M8, running hot.  His is in the 30 psi range.  So, I like that I can make these specific adjustments on specific engines.  My concern was with twisting on an already aligned oil pump on the M8 adjuster, and not knowing of the oil pump screws were designed for this type of torque on the oil pump.

MakoHD

mines does 40-45 running 230 degrees at 3500rpm using the revolution set up.

hd06

What kind of a fitting did you use on the m8 to tie in your oil line.  Thanks

les

Quote from: hd06 on May 11, 2019, 04:59:47 AM
What kind of a fitting did you use on the m8 to tie in your oil line.  Thanks

The one that comes with the Arlen Ness oil pressure gauge kit.

hd06

I didn't know A.N. made oil psi gage kit, couldn't find it.

les

Quote from: hd06 on May 12, 2019, 01:54:37 PM
I didn't know A.N. made oil psi gage kit, couldn't find it.

https://www.arlenness.com/prodcat/Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Kits.asp

Not yet for the M8, but my friend just has his held on with the rear bolt on the rocker lid.  Works just fine for now so he can monitor his 117" upgrade with the S&S pump/plate.  He's planning on modifying the bracket.

AN said it would be a while before they came out with the M8 bracket.

Thermodyne

The jam nut on the plate does not need to be all that tight.  It's only that big because of the size of the bypass port/piston.  No reason to crank it down like it was an 5/8 main bolt.   

As for pressure, why didn't you turn it down into the mid 30's?  No need or benefit from the extra pressure on a big twin. 

hd06

Ok Thanks, I was looking for one for my M8 there did he get the fitting to tie in the motor.

les

Quote from: Thermodyne on May 13, 2019, 08:03:45 AM
The jam nut on the plate does not need to be all that tight.  It's only that big because of the size of the bypass port/piston.  No reason to crank it down like it was an 5/8 main bolt.   

As for pressure, why didn't you turn it down into the mid 30's?  No need or benefit from the extra pressure on a big twin.

I agree with you that I don't need 40 psi of pressure.  I just prefer it at that pressure and it makes my imagination think that the engine sounds better running there.  Just personal preference.

les

Quote from: hd06 on May 13, 2019, 08:05:23 AM
  Ok Thanks, I was looking for one for my M8 there did he get the fitting to tie in the motor.

He did not have to modify anything else using the twin cam kit on his M8.  Fitting and line worked just fine.  His plan I think is to cut the bracket, weld a spacer, grind/polish it up, and put it back on now using two bolts to hold it.  But he's been running one bolt for about a few thousand miles just fine until he gets around to doing the bracket modification.  I think it's because the bracket is so beefy.  Having said that, I'm wondering why it's take AN so long to make an M8 kit, when all you need to do is make a different bracket.

hd06