April 23, 2024, 09:37:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 oil consumption

Started by Slider1950, May 27, 2019, 08:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slider1950

So my 2018 M8 softail has 2800 miles on it. I am still using (burning, no leaks or oil in the breather) oil . Dealer said that not to worry about oil consumption until at least 5000 miles. I just rode 129 miles today since last checking the oil level. In those 129 miles the oil level dropped about 2 marks on the dipstick since that last time I checked. To me that seems excessive. I always check the oil level hot with the bike on the sidestand in the same spot in my garage and after letting it idle for 2 minutes after riding. I am running 20w50 HD dino oil for right now and plan to switch to synthetic 20w50 after 5000 miles. I broke the bike in as per the owners manual (and I know some people say that you shouldn't baby the bike during the break in period) I also like to keep the oil level at about the 3/4 full hot mark on the dipstick. So what do you think? Should I wait till the 5000 mile mark before making this an issue with the dealer? BTW I wonder if the oil level variance (inconsistency) may have something to do with the difference of the level of the oil in the sump between oil level checks. Don't know just a thought. 

Hossamania

Quote from: Slider1950 on May 27, 2019, 08:34:54 PM
So my 2018 M8 softail has 2800 miles on it. I am still using (burning, no leaks or oil in the breather) oil . Dealer said that not to worry about oil consumption until at least 5000 miles. I just rode 129 miles today since last checking the oil level. In those 129 miles the oil level dropped about 2 marks on the dipstick since that last time I checked. To me that seems excessive. I always check the oil level hot with the bike on the sidestand in the same spot in my garage and after letting it idle for 2 minutes after riding. I am running 20w50 HD dino oil for right now and plan to switch to synthetic 20w50 after 5000 miles. I broke the bike in as per the owners manual (and I know some people say that you shouldn't baby the bike during the break in period) I also like to keep the oil level at about the 3/4 full hot mark on the dipstick. So what do you think? Should I wait till the 5000 mile mark before making this an issue with the dealer? BTW I wonder if the oil level variance (inconsistency) may have something to do with the difference of the level of the oil in the sump between oil level checks. Don't know just a thought.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about it yet, the motor is still within the first recommended mileage for an oil change, though I like to change oil early (500 to 1000 miles) on a new motor. How much has it used total, a full quart or more?
I would change oil now, use dino one more time, then switch to the synthetic. You could go to synthetic now
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Check your primary level to see if it's migrating (seal or crankcase pressure) and check the bore of the throttle body for excessive oil coating caused from any engine breather discharge.  Both can be caused by excessive ring blow by.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on May 27, 2019, 09:00:18 PM
Check your primary level to see if it's migrating (seal or crankcase pressure) and check the bore of the throttle body for excessive oil coating caused from any engine breather discharge.  Both can be caused by excessive ring blow by.

Had not thought about that, I keep thinking these are regular motors, not quirky sob's.
Sumping?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Slider1950

May 27, 2019, 09:09:21 PM #4 Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:10:38 PM by Slider1950
Quote from: Hossamania on May 27, 2019, 09:04:14 PM
Quote from: kd on May 27, 2019, 09:00:18 PM

Had not thought about that, I keep thinking these are regular motors, not quirky sob's.
Sumping?
Yes just finished checking the primary level (all ok) I had the cover off to do a clutch adjustment. Haven't had the air cleaner off yet, just checked the underside of the air cleaner cover and had no oil there.

happyman

take  a peek at plugs.  if its using that much oil you have a big problem.   have to think in reality its a sumper!

Slider1950

May 27, 2019, 10:08:48 PM #6 Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:18:06 PM by Slider1950
Quote from: happyman on May 27, 2019, 09:38:53 PM
take  a peek at plugs.  if its using that much oil you have a big problem.   have to think in reality its a sumper!

Yeah I would think I would be seeing smoke from the exhaust if it was burning that much oil. I think it might have something to do with residual oil in the sump or something along those lines. 

Durwood

I have yet to see a Softail sump, the ones I have seen hardly have any oil in the sump, just a few ounces.

I had a 2019 Softail Slim that had too much clearance between an intake valve stem and the guide, and it was a smoker with only 60 miles. The head guy said the stem of that valve was undersized compared to the rest of the valves.

Fresh guides, valves, seals and a 4.250" big bore kit and it was all good.

If you are running the stock exhaust it's possible the catalytic convertors are filtering the smoke if you are in fact burning oil.

Use a bore scope and look at the pistons through the spark plug holes. The oil burner I had had oil standing in the valve reliefs. It was smoking bad!

sandrooney

Do you let id idle on the side stand after riding? If so, try letting it idle standing straight up for 2 minutes.
Patience is such a waste of time .

yobtaf103

Been a few smokers, bores out of spec

Slider1950

May 28, 2019, 05:25:25 PM #10 Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:56:32 PM by Slider1950
Quote from: sandrooney on May 28, 2019, 04:29:57 AM
Do you let id idle on the side stand after riding? If so, try letting it idle standing straight up for 2 minutes.
.  I let it idle on the sidestand for two minutes as per the owners manual. What is the reasoning behind letting it idle standing straight up ?

sandrooney

I believe one of Harleys service bulletins says to leave it upright to clear the sump. I tried it both ways on mine and it did make a difference two different times that I tried it. Could have been some other reason it was different but wouldn't hurt to try it. Make sure it is good and warmed up. I do check mine in the same spot every time. I know that makes a difference.   

Slider1950

Quote from: sandrooney on May 29, 2019, 05:13:06 AM
I believe one of Harleys service bulletins says to leave it upright to clear the sump. I tried it both ways on mine and it did make a difference two different times that I tried it. Could have been some other reason it was different but wouldn't hurt to try it. Make sure it is good and warmed up. I do check mine in the same spot every time. I know that makes a difference.   
Thanks I will give that a try.

Slider1950

I just got home from a ride and instead of leaving the bike on the sidestand idling for 2 minutes I kept the bike upright idling for two minutes. And wouldn't ya know the oil level is back up where it should be! Thanks for the advise.

Oz Dan

It's because the oil pickup is on the RHS of the motor.......so when upright it can scavenge more oil.
2017 FLHR Stage 2

Slider1950

Quote from: Oz Dan on May 29, 2019, 07:09:04 PM
It's because the oil pickup is on the RHS of the motor.......so when upright it can scavenge more oil.
That makes perfect sense. But why would Harley state in the owners manual to let the bike idle on the sidestand????? :doh:

sandrooney

Glad it helped. What I do now (if I am going to check the oil) is pull in let it idle upright for about 30 seconds or so and check the oil cold the next morning and as long as it's 3/8 to 1/2 on the dip stick I call it good. Mine has never used any oil to speak of between changes so I don't get too worried about it. I do check it every five hundred to a thousand miles and do a good hot check right before changing the oil.

hd06

Try on the stand check the oil pull your bottom plug see how much oil is in the sump then try the other way.