March 28, 2024, 01:11:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

143 Version 2.0

Started by HD/Wrench, April 10, 2018, 08:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

April 10, 2018, 08:22:39 AM Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:35:46 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE
Going back through a 143 . We have opted to replace the 635 cam with a 640 on stilts .. Meaning that we will use the 1.725 rockers .  Also Went with S&S billet cam plate 3 stage pump . The 3 stage pump is better than the cartridge design  in my opinion ....and, on another note was told that  S&S is now shipping all new engines with their  3 stage and billet plate  :up:

Goal is 215 CCP .. Pistons just arrived and will start the process . 12 cc dome on the new 4.445 piston  .  Ring pack is 1.5/1.5/3.0 Much happier with that over the Wiseco piston that came in it . These are not a off the shelf item ,  pin wall, larger pin boss for increased support, under head milling  .. big thanks to Terry for helping out with this .

Some  minor head work as well . Will be testing a one off SPF ex for this and D&D mega cat .

IMG_1778 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

IMG_1779.jpg by GMR Performance, on Flickr
IMG_1780 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

kd

KD

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

phillyfan

Beautiful looking piston. I would love to have that motor, I have no business owning one of those however.
Looking forward to the results
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

Ohio HD

I look forward to seeing what that does Steve.    :up:

I bet it hurts your dyno.    :smilep:

1FSTRK

Great thread Steve, keep the pictures and info coming we will be following this one daily.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

I just want to hold that piston for a while, it is a goood looking piece!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on April 10, 2018, 10:42:05 AM
I just want to hold that piston for a while, it is a goood looking piece!

It's going in a Road Glide. Are you sure you want to get that close.  :wink:  :hyst:  :hyst:
KD

Hossamania

Well, even RoadGlides need some love once in a while!
Thank God there are people out there for that...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

mike jesse

I'd be curious as to what that piston assembly weighs with the pin and rings?

This should be interesting.

Thanks for posting it up Steve.

HD/Wrench

491 grams bare piston  I have not weighed the ring pack or pin + clips  Yet   . Being this is a  race style pin It is not going to weigh what others do. and its not in my library YET .  So I cannot offer the total yet I will though . Give me time ..  :up:

Jonny Cash

Thanks for posting those. 0.20 over piston, how far do you think these cylinders can be bored.  I got a set from S&S, unfinished.
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

mrmike

Very nice!

Somebody is going to have a fun summer.  :chop:

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

mike jesse

I'd like to see a short stroke 4.375 in. version.

1workinman

The great part is Steve knows what he is doing not just bolting together parts and hoping it  works damn lol

Don D

Quote from: Jonny Cash on April 10, 2018, 12:46:12 PM
Thanks for posting those. 0.20 over piston, how far do you think these cylinders can be bored.  I got a set from S&S, unfinished.
The bore size is a bit oddball so that limits ring availability off the shelf.

HD/Wrench

Don is correct the reason for + 20 is ring availability.  SO its not so much how far but what can you get,..once  you do bore it.. I would not opt for over bore on un- finished I would start STD and allow one more bore& hone .   

HD/Wrench

Case that has been drilled for OEM oiling  :up: :up:

IMG_1493 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

HD/Wrench

HD/Wrench

New vs old on pin thickness and length .. As you can see the old pin was not overly happy .

With a thicker wall pin and longer we can reduce piston distortion .. then add in the material in use and thicker pin boss all add in for a stronger part .

IMG_21791 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

1FSTRK

Nice
Steve what is the total weight the original and of the new piston, rings, pins?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

joe_lyons

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 10, 2018, 08:22:39 AM
Going back through a 143 . We have opted to replace the 635 cam with a 640 on stilts .. Meaning that we will use the 1.725 rockers .  Also Went with S&S billet cam plate 3 stage pump . The 3 stage pump is better than the cartridge design  in my opinion ....and, on another note was told that  S&S is now shipping all new engines with their  3 stage and billet plate  :up:

Goal is 215 CCP .. Pistons just arrived and will start the process . 12 cc dome on the new 4.445 piston  .  Ring pack is 1.5/1.5/3.0 Much happier with that over the Wiseco piston that came in it . These are not a off the shelf item ,  pin wall, larger pin boss for increased support, under head milling  .. big thanks to Terry for helping out with this .

Some  minor head work as well . Will be testing a one off SPF ex for this and D&D mega cat .

IMG_1778 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

IMG_1779.jpg by GMR Performance, on Flickr
IMG_1780 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Last I heard is that August was when the Harley patent ran out and they would be running the t3 stuff and having the passages drilled for the stock gasket.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Don D

It will run for sure. 200 is possible.

Jonny Cash

Quote from: HD Street Performance on April 13, 2018, 07:36:04 AM
It will run for sure. 200 is possible.

Is there enough manifold on these motors to get to 200?  asking for friend. 
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

HD/Wrench

Well I have seen one that did it .. Not sure but I am willing to give it a try  :wink: