March 28, 2024, 03:51:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

I have shared a few pics in the past but don't think I started a thread for this project.

Like most of my projects, this began with a deal that was just too good to pass up. Skeeter Todd had a titled factory frame for sale and I figured I had enough spare parts to build another bike. Plan was to build it using as many scraps I had around the house, buy what was needed and then sell the bike. Well that didn't happen.

Its getting closer to burning gas. Engine is a TC124 built for torque (my first ever), coupled with a trans case from a '99-'00  bagger. Used an oil pan from Joe Biesel at Deviant Fabrications. Everything else is pretty much oem or off the shelf stuff. Plan is to have this bike off the dyno in time for a local open house and then Myrtle Beach Bike Week (Not sure why I am going, MBBW is gay) followed by the FXR Jam.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

calif phil

I luv watching your builds.  When I win the lottery I want you to build me an FXR

nosjunkie

Great project... Joes pans are VERY nice.... Does this bike get one of his swing arms?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on January 02, 2019, 10:42:06 AM
Great project... Joes pans are VERY nice.... Does this bike get one of his swing arms?

It might. The first arm is going on the red/white bike, followed by a set of BST carbon fiber wheels.

mrmike

January 02, 2019, 12:23:46 PM #4 Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:29:35 PM by mrmike
Very nice, not a lot of room to get that motor in, eh

Wasn't the oil pan you use in these bikes one of your designs if I remember correctly?

Nice stable, better start buying rear tires in bulk.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

turboprop

Quote from: mrmike on January 02, 2019, 12:23:46 PM
Very nice, not a lot of room to get that motor in, eh

Wasn't the oil pan you use in these bikes one of your designs if I remember correctly?

Nice stable, better start buying rear tires in bulk.

Mike

I made a small batch of modified oem pans, one of which I sent to Deviant to use as the basis for him to design one made from injection molded lithium polymer. Similar to those used on Caterpilar engines. Heat retention was a concern so the design was shifted to billet aluminum and expanded slightly. The design of the billet pan by Deviant is entirely theirs. I helped out by providing form, fit and function testing. The couple of changes that I suggested were incorporated into the finished product. Very pleased with how they came out.

As for the room in the frame, I was a bit concerned as my 124 design used a piston with a taller deck height that resulted in a slightly linger cylinder than what is supplied by S&S. Not a lot of room in the FXR frame, but I wanted the piston stability and the ring seal that came with it so I rolled the dice. It fit, with plenty of room to spare. Before building the engine, I acquired some mock up cylinders of the same length, heads with the same cut, etc and mocked it up in the frame for the purpose of seeing if the rocker boxes could be removed in the frame. Easy. Didn't even have to drop the front motor mount. For anyone on the fence about putting a big block in an FXR, don't be afraid, lots of room and very little fabrication required.

HighLiner

turboprop

biggzed

It's always exciting seeing a build post from Turboprop. Bike(s) looks fantastic.

Zach

HighLiner

speedzter

Did you have much work done to the FXDX forks ?
Are the Galfer rotors substantially lighter than the HD factory parts ?

cheers

Ohio HD

Nice project, should be a lot of fun to ride that bike. Is this 124 getting the RS657's?

turboprop

Quote from: speedzter on January 02, 2019, 04:40:50 PM
Did you have much work done to the FXDX forks ?
Are the Galfer rotors substantially lighter than the HD factory parts ?

cheers

The forks were sent to Kent at GMD Atlanta. Tubes were polished, different springs and RaceTech Gold Valves. I have not weighed either the Galfers or the oem rotors so I can't really speak to the weight difference.

scott7d

Looks great so far! Is that the HPI breather?
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 02, 2019, 05:28:19 PM
Nice project, should be a lot of fun to ride that bike. Is this 124 getting the RS657's?

Yes. This engine is set up with RedShift 657 gear drive cams, Zippers Stage 4 heads w/2" intake valves and all the special coatings (chambers, ports, valves, springs). Also has Baisley rockers on forged supports, Smith Bros thick wall tapered pushrods, theist lifters that WFO Larry sells, S&S forged plate and 3-Stage pump, Hoban Bros crank w/Carrlillo rods, Axtell cylinders w/ductile liners, custom JE pistons from Axtell w/various treatments and lightweight wrist pins), D intake, bored Mik48 with a Vulcan back (manifold, Vulcan back and Mik have all been port matched and other stuff), DTT ignition. Compression worked out to 10.7. Not giving everything away, but in addition to the various internal treatments by PolyDyn, some components were sent to MicroBlue and others were sent out for DLC. The irony of al this is this was all built on a set of $250 cases from eBay.

turboprop

Quote from: scott7d on January 02, 2019, 06:13:23 PM

Yes, it is. But, like everything else, there are some mods to it to make it work. I had HPI sent the long standoffs that are setup for external breathing as their standard standoffs route the head vents to the inside of the air filter. I also had to make spacers to go between eh back plate and the vented offsets as the intake setup on this is unlike their typical install. The combination of a D intake, insulator block, Vulcan Race Back and Mik48 created a good size gap between the plate and the standoffs. I think the stainless spacers are .410 long.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 06:19:06 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 02, 2019, 05:28:19 PM

Yes. This engine is set up with RedShift 657 gear drive cams, Zippers Stage 4 heads w/2" intake valves and all the special coatings (chambers, ports, valves, springs). Also has Baisley rockers on forged supports, Smith Bros thick wall tapered pushrods, theist lifters that WFO Larry sells, S&S forged plate and 3-Stage pump, Hoban Bros crank w/Carrlillo rods, Axtell cylinders w/ductile liners, custom JE pistons from Axtell w/various treatments and lightweight wrist pins), D intake, bored Mik48 with a Vulcan back (manifold, Vulcan back and Mik have all been port matched and other stuff), DTT ignition. Compression worked out to 10.7. Not giving everything away, but in addition to the various internal treatments by PolyDyn, some components were sent to MicroBlue and others were sent out for DLC. The irony of al this is this was all built on a set of $250 cases from eBay.

That's one heck of a recipe and ingredients. I really look forward to seeing how the power distribution looks when your done. I bet very broad. I'm sure those $250 cases will be fine, you just increased their value considerable.

turboprop

I am at a point where I really must make a decision on the exhaust system. Have thought of flying in Brian Truesdale for a weekend to build me a Guppy. Also thinking real hard about a Black Hole Prostock from RB Racing. Unlike my other FXR brutes, this FXR will be setup for very high speed touring and I dont give a "Potty mouth" about making noise or poster sounds. Would be happy if the engine was silent. I have a call with Rob at RB scheduled for this Friday to discuss various courses of actions.

speedzter

Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 06:24:00 PM

Yes, it is. But, like everything else, there are some mods to it to make it work. I had HPI sent the long standoffs that are setup for external breathing as their standard standoffs route the head vents to the inside of the air filter.

Did you have to use an adapter from the backing plate to the mikuni ?
I recently fitted a Zippers back plate with the adapter built in , to my 120" custom/48mm Mik' combo.
I think it will flow nicely without the extra step when using the adapter.
[attach=0,msg1274938]

turboprop

Quote from: speedzter on January 02, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 06:24:00 PM

Yes, it is. But, like everything else, there are some mods to it to make it work. I had HPI sent the long standoffs that are setup for external breathing as their standard standoffs route the head vents to the inside of the air filter.

Did you have to use an adapter from the backing plate to the mikuni ?
I recently fitted a Zippers back plate with the adapter built in , to my 120" custom/48mm Mik' combo.
I think it will flow nicely without the extra step when using the adapter.
[attach=0,msg1274938]

Not sure I understand what you are saying about the Zippers back plate for the Mikuni carb. Not sure how and adapter would go in there as it simply presses onto the Mikuni.

The air cleaner from HPI is specific for a Mikuni HSR carb, but unlike the back plates from Zippers and everyone else that is simply slipped onto the Mikuni and sealed with an o-ring. The HPI unit has a integrated velocity stack that goes into the throat of the Mik. Sort of eliminates the multiple steps that the Zippers (and others) plate creates.

wfolarry

Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 06:46:28 PM
I am at a point where I really must make a decision on the exhaust system. Have thought of flying in Brian Truesdale for a weekend to build me a Guppy. Also thinking real hard about a Black Hole Prostock from RB Racing. Unlike my other FXR brutes, this FXR will be setup for very high speed touring and I dont give a "Potty mouth" about making noise or poster sounds. Would be happy if the engine was silent. I have a call with Rob at RB scheduled for this Friday to discuss various courses of actions.
It would be worth the plane ticket.  :up:

No Cents

your attention to detail is second to none Ed!  :up:
Very nice project.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on January 03, 2019, 10:09:31 AM
Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 06:46:28 PM
It would be worth the plane ticket.  :up:

My cost analysis to do this shows this to be 197% more stupid than anything I have ever done. In addition to the plane ticket, there is his fee, per diem, raw materials from Burns, will have to source some exotic TIG machine and procure space in a facility with the power to run it.  Plus, Brian is from way up north and can probably knock down a huge pile of beer without even thinking about it. Cha ching, cha ching cha ching.

Will probably end up doing an off the shelf Black Hole Pro Stock from RB.

ndmp40

What kind of pipe is on the Red bike?  Beautiful, likely functional too I bet.

turboprop

Quote from: ndmp40 on January 03, 2019, 11:30:49 AM
What kind of pipe is on the Red bike?  Beautiful, likely functional too I bet.

The power output decreased some when I replaced the Guppy with this;

http://www.bassanipipes.com/greglutzka2into1stainlessdynasystem-1-1.aspx