March 28, 2024, 03:09:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Normal noise from primary after upgrades?

Started by Mick0311, February 14, 2019, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

319fatboy

February 24, 2019, 06:33:18 PM #51 Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:41:44 PM by 319fatboy
 [attach=1,msg1283786] The instructions I got with mine did not mention the timing marks. Wonder if I got lucky and got mine lined up? Guess I will have to take it apart and see? [attach=0,msg1283786] 

Mick0311

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 24, 2019, 05:40:10 PM
It's in my instructions.

[attach=0,msg1283779]

You're also missing the correct disc stack height for hydraulic clutches.
You almost have to print out all their instructions and then combine to correctly install one of their clutches.
2015 Road Glide Special

Ohio HD

Quote from: Mick0311 on February 25, 2019, 03:41:14 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 24, 2019, 05:40:10 PM
It's in my instructions.

[attach=0,msg1283779]

You're also missing the correct disc stack height for hydraulic clutches.
You almost have to print out all their instructions and then combine to correctly install one of their clutches.

I'm not missing it. Mine isn't hydraulic.

04rkryder

February 25, 2019, 08:20:28 AM #54 Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:54:34 PM by FSG
You guys have 2 different instructions:

Ohio has "http://www.banditmachineworks.com/techinfo_instr2.htm"

Mick has "http://www.banditmachineworks.com/techinfo_instr3.htm"

The instr3 is the one you get using the current Tech Info tab

Mick0311

Instr3 covers both hydraulic and cable which is what came with my clutch.
Yet it's missing a couple key instructions such as timing marks and reusing the release plate for hydraulic clutches.

2015 Road Glide Special

jmorton10

The Phase 3 Competitor Clutch I ran for years (which looked/worked exactly the same as my Bandit clutch) had the dots on the pressure plate/clutch hub to be aligned.

My Bandit clutch has no such marks however.  Either Bandit forgot to mark them, or it doesn't matter anymore.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Mick0311

Finally had time tonight to remove the broken fastener from the hub.
Put it all back together matching the marks and it's a lot quieter.
Stuck with 20 ozs of the Spectro Gold.
2015 Road Glide Special

Mick0311

Since the new car I haven't ridden the scoot much so I wanted to do an update on the whirring noise. OCD kicks in because I don't "think" I should be having this noise. I'm not happy having the bike sound like a Jetsons spaceship.

I took off the primary and started to remove the clutch. As I start removing the springs from the hub I'm noticing they are dry. No oil dripping off them. I start removing a couple discs and see they are bone dry other than the oil I soaked them in prior to installing.

It appears that the clutch is not getting an oil bath that I'm used to seeing the clutch have. Now I'm wondering if this is the cause of the whirring noise. I am not seeing any scorching on the couple discs that I removed. According to Bandit's instructions they say the chain will pick up the fluid to lubricate the clutch. I'm not seeing that happen.

I'll send an email to Bandit and also see what they have to say.

2015 Road Glide Special

Hossamania

Are you putting in enough oil to touch the bottom of the clutch basket?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Mick0311

According to Bandit, 14 oz is all that is required.
I think I found the culprit. Popped the hub out from the basket and found this. No bueno.
2015 Road Glide Special

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jmorton10

I am running 14 ounces of Redline Primary oil in mine ever since I installed a Bandit Sportsman clutch.

Since clutch plates don't need oil (they work just fine in an open primary belt drive setup), the only thing that would worry me about that small an amount of oil is what it might do to the compensator. I am not running a compensator so that's not a worry for me.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Mick0311

Quote from: jmorton10 on June 03, 2019, 10:28:00 AM
I am running 14 ounces of Redline Primary oil in mine ever since I installed a Bandit Sportsman clutch.

Since clutch plates don't need oil (they work just fine in an open primary belt drive setup), the only thing that would worry me about that small an amount of oil is what it might do to the compensator. I am not running a compensator so that's not a worry for me.

~John

No compensator in mine either. My concern is the bearings. Are they getting enough oil to them?
2015 Road Glide Special