April 18, 2024, 10:40:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

bolt in cam for 96in

Started by 1stop, May 23, 2019, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1stop

been searching the threads for opintions on good bolt in cam for stock 08 96 in. looking for great bottom torque. seen andrews 26 came up alot,but these threads are pretty old. wondering what the lastest and greatest has to offer,if anything. i know s&s 509 are good for 88 stuff. thanks

fidel

Durwood

MikeL

I had 3 cams to choose from for my 2007 ultra. Andrews 48,57 and SE255. I chose the 48. So far so good. If your keeping your bike stock the 48 works great as would the 255. The Andrews 57 is just like the Andrews 37 with higher lift. I had Andrews 37cams in my 2k RKC. It performed better with a compression bump and head work.
If you intend to perform more performance work like a  bore kit in the future then install an Andrews 57. 

MIKE

I've always been curious why an S&S 583 never gets mentioned?

Andrews 48 was great in my 96" flhx... after it was tuned right.

tc1550

cr-570-2 woods 222  tman torqster 555 all good choices

Hossamania

I forgot about the 555, that always had good reviews.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tail Ridr

Quote from: 838 on May 24, 2019, 07:10:01 AM
I've always been curious why an S&S 583 never gets mentioned?
Spent a lot of time searching, wondering the same...but I've gotten past it with other choices currently offered and before the HO came out in the Rushmore
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

PBSTN

I had Andrews 48's in my 10 road glide. Great cams. And very affordable. I now have a set of s&s 551 easy starts waiting to go in my 10 road king. I hope they are as good as the 48's.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

BVHOG

A couple years back I tuned 3 96 inch motors back to back, one with an SE 255, one with an Andrews 48 and one with an S&S 551 and I have tuned many other bikes with these cams over the years. If I were forced to ride a 96 inch bike with just a cam swap and tune etc. I would pick the 551 not based on dyno numbers alone but on SOTP riding and the nasty idle. You don't need the easy start feature of the 551 in a 96 either.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

No Cents

I bought the old Duracell new back in 2008 with a 96" engine.
It didn't take me long to want more power. My first step in the saga of that bike was I put in a set of Andrews 37 cams. They pulled good and sounded good too.
   Surprisingly the bike ran pretty darn good with that cam swap.
From there...I just went crazy.   :hyst:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on May 25, 2019, 12:56:09 PM
   I bought the old Duracell new back in 2008 with a 96" engine.
It didn't take me long to want more power. My first step in the saga of that bike was I put in a set of Andrews 37 cams. They pulled good and sounded good too.
   Surprisingly the bike ran pretty darn good with that cam swap.
From there...I just went crazy.   :hyst:
I had a 96 inch bike and it was a road king . I did not care for the no radio , cruse or fairing , it was a very reliable motor . if I had of installed a decent cam in it and never ran across this web sight to see bikes like Rays that only make me want one damn I could have saved a some money.  There is no turning back now but I do think that a cam , tune pipe in the 96 inch would have been ok back then if I never seen this sight and finally got a chance to Ride a decent running Harley . One of the best running 96 inch I seen is the one Jim did a while back . He did test the heck out of it .  :chop:

86fxwg

255's work Dam good in a 96 & there dirt cheap! Used of course!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Quote from: 86fxwg on May 25, 2019, 05:44:12 PM
255's work Dam good in a 96 & there dirt cheap! Used of course!

I've "heard" the same thing about the 103" HO cams from the Rushmore bikes in a 96". Very cheap... sadly no data to support this claim.

tdrglide

I ran SE 204 cams in a 96" 2009 street glide. Ran really well. SE air cleaner, full-sac 2-1-2 exhaust and a good tune. Otherwise stock. Don't remember the numbers but it was fun in the canyons. Nice idle too.

TorQuePimp

Somewhat depends on the pipe

Comp 3101/48h Andrews

Can grow with either.....a little

Justpassingas

I've been running Andrews 48 in my 09SG with SE heavy breather & VH Propipe with a dyno tune...works for me
For Duty and Humanity

Hossamania

I'd like to ride a 96" with a 204, I like that cam. Works ok in an 88", I'll bet it's better in a 96".
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Otter656

I put a set of 48's in my '11 RGC last year, stock 96. Very happy, torque is much improved from idle to well north of 4k, as many people say they really woke the engine up. It took awhile for the Thundermax to autotune it in and I almost gave up, but now its been worth it, and as I hear, the 48's need a good tune to perform. I also run a 2-1 pipe w/ removable discs; that has been a great help in dialing in the torque curve. Good luck on your decision, you probly will be happy with any "torque" cam mentioned here.

Otter

black

Quote from: Hossamania on May 26, 2019, 07:47:26 AM
I'd like to ride a 96" with a 204, I like that cam. Works ok in an 88", I'll bet it's better in a 96".
I run 204 in a 96 with a power vision tune and and white brother e pipe with 02 bungs welded in. It works nice, sounds nice,and pulls good even two up,It is a Fun ride with a Pingle electric shifter
send  lawyers guns and money

Propflux01

Another vote for the '48. After I went up to 103, it became simply a blast to ride.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

motolocopat

What cam has same base ramps so no adjustable pushrods needed to keep cost down and then possibly allow doing a 103-107"BB?
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

May 29, 2019, 06:41:01 PM #22 Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:45:20 PM by 838
Quote from: motolocopat on May 29, 2019, 05:54:18 PM
What cam has same base ramps so no adjustable pushrods needed to keep cost down and then possibly allow doing a 103-107"BB?

I was thinking this same thing. Someday (if it were my bike) I'd wanna go 96-107/110 and I'd think the CR570 would be my choice if staying with stock heads.

FYI I have installed an andrews48 on a 96" with stock pushrods.

PoorUB

The CR-570-2 works fine with stock pushrods, right in the middle of the lifter travel so it will handle a few thousandths milled off the head.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

thumpr54

I put 551s in my 2009 96" Road King...road tuned with TTS....no complaints...like said earlier the sound at idle much improved. It's only a stage one and I didn't spend a ton on a pipe...you hear the compression releases when you shut it down but no biggie....S&S says that's normal....
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

wolf_59

Quote from: BVHOG on May 24, 2019, 06:25:58 PM
A couple years back I tuned 3 96 inch motors back to back, one with an SE 255, one with an Andrews 48 and one with an S&S 551 and I have tuned many other bikes with these cams over the years. If I were forced to ride a 96 inch bike with just a cam swap and tune etc. I would pick the 551 not based on dyno numbers alone but on SOTP riding and the nasty idle. You don't need the easy start feature of the 551 in a 96 either.
:up: I installed the 551easy start in my 95" 06 Ultra after using the 37 the 551 is the better SOTP cam made it a lot more fun to ride but after 25 0r 30 thousand miles I've picked up a lot of noise I believe but have no proof is coming from the easy start mechanism

Propflux01

Quote from: motolocopat on May 29, 2019, 05:54:18 PM

Andrews 48. You can use stock pushrods with this cam. IIRC, it is only .020 smaller than stock.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

sfmichael

buy a set of used SE255's - super cheap and work very well in that particular motor
Colorado Springs, CO.

1workinman

Quote from: sfmichael on June 01, 2019, 03:50:44 PM
buy a set of used SE255's - super cheap and work very well in that particular motor
That's a good idea and while your in there may be a set of cam bearing . if the lifters been in there a while a decent set of them and your set . I don't think you be out a lot of money  and its will be a nice ride 

Thermodyne

Quote from: tc1550 on May 24, 2019, 11:56:52 AM
cr-570-2 woods 222  tman torqster 555 all good choices

583's are great torque cams for lighter scooters.  You can run them in baggers too, but you'll need to work on the spark map more than a little, to kill off the roll on detonation. 

flhr

I have a set of 255s in a 96 road king, stage 1 intake, s&s slipons, powervision.
Has alot more bottom end and runs cooler than stock.

Trev T

a set of rushmore cams will be an instant upgrade. 838 said it earlier, I had installed a set in my 2010 super glide to test them out. only had a TFI for tuning and they ran great. very inexpensive 255's without concern for heat/ping issue's. If you check the specs on them they are pretty close to the Andrews 21. 

mike jesse

The 255's work well in a basic 96. Be advised though of hard starting without some sort of comp. release installed.
My first cam swap years ago. They don't play well if the engine is heat soaked.

Gerry Smith

I'm going to jump in and ask away. How does the Cycle Rama 575 cam compare to the Andrews 57 cam? what one likes more compression?
Just do it while you can.

MikeL

The Andrews 57 is better with more compression. It would work as a bolt in stock. It may be a little lazy down low. I used the Andrews 37 cam in my 2k RKC it has the same numbers except the lift. Worked good with stock compression worked better with 9.8:1 compression.

MIKE

tdrglide

Andrews 57 advanced 4 degrees is a lot like a SE 204, but with more lift. Never tried it but I bet it would work well in a middle weight bike like a street glide or a road king.

Durwood

Quote from: Gerry Smith on June 12, 2019, 02:51:44 PM
I'm going to jump in and ask away. How does the Cycle Rama 575 cam compare to the Andrews 57 cam? what one likes more compression?
The CR-575 and AP-57 like similar compression, 10.5:1 is about the max for both when properly tuned.

runamuck

I have been running the 255's in my '09 ultra for many miles and they made a nice improvement over stock. I pulled the top end and reused the stock pushrods so no adjustment required. no compression release and only hard to crank when I get near the end of battery life. does not seem to run any hotter than stock. the '09 didnt come with cat converter. I run a set of v&h big ovals and powervision tuner.