April 25, 2024, 07:30:52 PM

News:

bolt in cam for 96in

Started by 1stop, May 23, 2019, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf_59

Quote from: BVHOG on May 24, 2019, 06:25:58 PM
A couple years back I tuned 3 96 inch motors back to back, one with an SE 255, one with an Andrews 48 and one with an S&S 551 and I have tuned many other bikes with these cams over the years. If I were forced to ride a 96 inch bike with just a cam swap and tune etc. I would pick the 551 not based on dyno numbers alone but on SOTP riding and the nasty idle. You don't need the easy start feature of the 551 in a 96 either.
:up: I installed the 551easy start in my 95" 06 Ultra after using the 37 the 551 is the better SOTP cam made it a lot more fun to ride but after 25 0r 30 thousand miles I've picked up a lot of noise I believe but have no proof is coming from the easy start mechanism

Propflux01

Quote from: motolocopat on May 29, 2019, 05:54:18 PM
What cam has same base ramps so no adjustable pushrods needed to keep cost down and then possibly allow doing a 103-107"BB?

Andrews 48. You can use stock pushrods with this cam. IIRC, it is only .020 smaller than stock.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

sfmichael

buy a set of used SE255's - super cheap and work very well in that particular motor
Colorado Springs, CO.

1workinman

Quote from: sfmichael on June 01, 2019, 03:50:44 PM
buy a set of used SE255's - super cheap and work very well in that particular motor
That's a good idea and while your in there may be a set of cam bearing . if the lifters been in there a while a decent set of them and your set . I don't think you be out a lot of money  and its will be a nice ride 

Thermodyne

Quote from: tc1550 on May 24, 2019, 11:56:52 AM
cr-570-2 woods 222  tman torqster 555 all good choices

583's are great torque cams for lighter scooters.  You can run them in baggers too, but you'll need to work on the spark map more than a little, to kill off the roll on detonation. 

flhr

I have a set of 255s in a 96 road king, stage 1 intake, s&s slipons, powervision.
Has alot more bottom end and runs cooler than stock.

Trev T

a set of rushmore cams will be an instant upgrade. 838 said it earlier, I had installed a set in my 2010 super glide to test them out. only had a TFI for tuning and they ran great. very inexpensive 255's without concern for heat/ping issue's. If you check the specs on them they are pretty close to the Andrews 21. 

mike jesse

The 255's work well in a basic 96. Be advised though of hard starting without some sort of comp. release installed.
My first cam swap years ago. They don't play well if the engine is heat soaked.

Gerry Smith

I'm going to jump in and ask away. How does the Cycle Rama 575 cam compare to the Andrews 57 cam? what one likes more compression?
Just do it while you can.

MikeL

The Andrews 57 is better with more compression. It would work as a bolt in stock. It may be a little lazy down low. I used the Andrews 37 cam in my 2k RKC it has the same numbers except the lift. Worked good with stock compression worked better with 9.8:1 compression.

MIKE

tdrglide

Andrews 57 advanced 4 degrees is a lot like a SE 204, but with more lift. Never tried it but I bet it would work well in a middle weight bike like a street glide or a road king.

Durwood

Quote from: Gerry Smith on June 12, 2019, 02:51:44 PM
I'm going to jump in and ask away. How does the Cycle Rama 575 cam compare to the Andrews 57 cam? what one likes more compression?
The CR-575 and AP-57 like similar compression, 10.5:1 is about the max for both when properly tuned.

runamuck

I have been running the 255's in my '09 ultra for many miles and they made a nice improvement over stock. I pulled the top end and reused the stock pushrods so no adjustment required. no compression release and only hard to crank when I get near the end of battery life. does not seem to run any hotter than stock. the '09 didnt come with cat converter. I run a set of v&h big ovals and powervision tuner.