April 18, 2024, 06:30:30 AM

News:

2000-2500 rpm

Started by Chippitt68, May 27, 2019, 08:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

Why does the most valvetrain noise happen in this rpm range? What is the inherent issue in twin cams that makes them noisy at these rpm. Why are some noisy and some not?

Deye76

On my 2014 RK, at that very rpm range mine sounds like valve train, but it's only in 3rd gear, the other gears in that range it's quiet. So I think its from the trans.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

smoserx1

I have heard some people believe it is just harmonics and resonance.  Mine has sounded like a jackhammer in that range from day 1.

tomboyjr

Or its because over 2500, most of our exhausts get louder and we just can't hear the drivetrain-lol

kd

Rocker shaft clicking on the mounting fasteners is responsible for most of them.  Check with this vendor after reading some of the posts.  Search the site for more info using the name.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?board=96.0
KD

Chippitt68

I have them installed. Once you install them, you cannot pull the plate towards pushrods to provide clearance to the tubes. 😖. Same question, why don't the bolts move above or below the rpm mentioned?

kd

Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 27, 2019, 04:58:42 PM
I have them installed. Once you install them, you cannot pull the plate towards pushrods to provide clearance to the tubes. 😖. Same question, why don't the bolts move above or below the rpm mentioned?

I agree.  It may be more important with High lift cams than OEM range cams.  Some of the members here (myself included) chose to "pin" the shafts to the rocker stands back when the discussion first started on here a few years ago.  I used double locked grub screws.  At about that time a member here was experimenting using 30 cal bullet casings with good success and began manufacturing them for sale.  They may not be for everyone but all reports are they work for most.  The other options are to pin them which means a level of skill is required or a machinist expense, or get used to it. 
KD

klammer76

Quote from: kd on May 27, 2019, 05:58:15 PM
Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 27, 2019, 04:58:42 PM

I agree.  It may be more important with High lift cams than OEM range cams.  Some of the members here (myself included) chose to "pin" the shafts to the rocker stands back when the discussion first started on here a few years ago.  I used double locked grub screws.  At about that time a member here was experimenting using 30 cal bullet casings with good success and began manufacturing them for sale.  They may not be for everyone but all reports are they work for most.  The other options are to pin them which means a level of skill is required or a machinist expense, or get used to it.
I installed a set of Rockout Rocker Lockers this spring. I was in there so decided to try them. My bike has never been this quiet. Always had the annoying tap/click/tick through different sets of lifters etc over 18 years. I will add that I also installed new rocker arms & shafts also due to were on original oem rocker arms but I do think the Rockouts work well for me also.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: klammer76 on May 28, 2019, 03:15:39 AM

I installed a set of Rockout Rocker Lockers this spring. I was in there so decided to try them. My bike has never been this quiet. Always had the annoying tap/click/tick through different sets of lifters etc over 18 years. I will add that I also installed new rocker arms & shafts also due to were on original oem rocker arms but I do think the Rockouts work well for me also.

:beer: :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

chaos901

I've installed the "other brand" (shall remain nameless) on a couple of my bikes with good results.  FWIW, I picked them because they are made close by in MS and I did not know about the Rockouts. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Moparnut72

After owning my Slim for a year I was ready to trade it for Triumph or a Moto Guzzi. I was getting to hate all the clicking and clacking coming from the engine. When hot it was so loud it was embarrassing to pull into a parking lot with people around. So before I did that I thought I would try to do something to get rid of the noise. I put Rockouts in it first. It was better but still wasn't good. I had read that the stock lifters weren't very good but his is the part I still don't understand. It is said everywhere to let the lifters bleed down before you go to the other cylinder. My stock lifters wouldn't bleed down. I took them apart to release the pressure and put them back in. No better. I took them back out and all of them seemed to be "hydro" locked. No matter what I did they wouldn't bleed down. I even put them in a vise and put pressure on them. They didn't budge. I don't get it but anyway I installed Johnson HyLift lifters. I can't believe how quiet the top end is now. Also I used the stock push rods. I know more work but to me worth it.

The bike is pretty quiet now, the main mechanical noises come from the lower end. Probably mostly from all the chains the B engines have. I have done a few other things to make my bike what it should have been from day one. I am happy with it now. I would put Rockouts and lifters in yours to get rid of the racket. My 2 cents.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Chippitt68

I have the rock outs installed and the same lifters you are running. Have had the bores measured and they are about .002 larger than the lifters. Pretty much the same as most I'm told. It runs really well, 96 hp and 115 tq. No clatter on start up. It's been noisy since the 48's went in when it was a 96". I don't think it's hurting anything. just returned from a 1000 mile ride and it didn't blow up and I don't believe it will. It just bugs the shite outta me.

BVHOG

I think when you answer this question with complete certainty there will be a nobel prize awaiting you. 
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Hossamania

Try running gear drives with 100,000 miles on a thoroughly thrashed motor. Your motors are quiet as church mice compared to mine. And I'm ok with that. I just own it as I pull into a group standing around. They forget about the noise when they see the 2" wide puddle from a drip that gathers under it after 10 minutes.
"It's not a leak, it's a drip."
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Scotty

I have put in a few sets of rocker lockers and/or rockouts depending on what people bought and S&S premium lifters and left them with stock pushrods and they are all quiet now and everyone is happy.

Teardrop

I have the RockOuts, S&S Premium lifters and adjustable lifters and although it is better the tick isn't totally gone either. I have just learned to live with it.
2010 Ultra Classic

Rockout Rocker Products

To all with some lingering top end noise... Spectro 25-60 NON SYNTHETIC oil.
You'll thank me.
Really.

Armin

Quote from: Moparnut72 on May 28, 2019, 06:12:52 PM

..... I don't get it but anyway I installed Johnson HyLift lifters. I can't believe how quiet the top end is now. Also I used the stock push rods. I know more work but to me worth it.

The bike is pretty quiet now, the main mechanical noises come from the lower end. Probably mostly from all the chains the B engines have. I have done a few other things to make my bike what it should have been from day one. I am happy with it now. I would put Rockouts and lifters in yours to get rid of the racket. My 2 cents.
kk

Hi, how much preload did you use with the Hylift lifters?

Thanks, Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Chippitt68

.140. I asked Larry and that was his recommendation

Hossamania

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on May 28, 2019, 09:29:01 PM
You'll thank me.
Really.

I should try it, but I tend to not change oil overly often, and ride in winter when temps get down to 20° or so, I don't think my starter would care for it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Hossamania on May 29, 2019, 04:37:52 AM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on May 28, 2019, 09:29:01 PM
You'll thank me.
Really.

I should try it, but I tend to not change oil overly often, and ride in winter when temps get down to 20° or so, I don't think my starter would care for it.

I'm guessing you're running 20-50 now? That extra 5 gonna kill ya?  :wink:

shindig

Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 27, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
Why does the most valvetrain noise happen in this rpm range? What is the inherent issue in twin cams that makes them noisy at these rpm. Why are some noisy and some not?

You are lugging the motor at those rpms....  You should cruise close to 3k rpm.

chaos901

QuoteYou are lugging the motor at those rpms....  You should cruise close to 3k rpm.

I did not read it that he was cruising at this RPM, if that is the case then I agree with the above response.  Plus my gas mileage really sucks at 2000 rpm.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

harpwrench

Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 29, 2019, 02:49:19 AM
.140. I asked Larry and that was his recommendation
Mine is noisy when set that deep. .090" is the sweet spot on mine, you might try it  :beer:

Chippitt68

Quote from: shindig on May 29, 2019, 06:15:41 AM
Quote from: Chippitt68 on May 27, 2019, 08:44:16 AM

You are lugging the motor at those rpms....  You should cruise close to 3k rpm.
I don't cruise in that range. I do however occasionally run through that range on my way to 3000rpm.