April 25, 2024, 12:20:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How many thousands of an inch per CC?

Started by 838, May 31, 2019, 02:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When calculating cylinder head volume, how many thousandths of an inch equate to a 1cc increase in compression?

Thanks

Ohio HD

"Standard" Twin Cam heads in "about" 1cc per 0.007". You really need to measure the volume of the chamber, cut, measure, repeat. 

FSG

Norton Commando

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 31, 2019, 02:55:52 PM
You really need to measure the volume of the chamber, cut, measure, repeat.
Yep. One cc (cubic centimeter) = 0.06102374 in^3 (cubic inches). 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Don D

Ymmv, the acr heads have the added slot. .0067 is ballpark. Not something to count on. Invest in measuring tools and know for sure. The balance can be very different between heads and that requires uneven amounts of cut to get them equal.

kd

mine cc'd about .005" different from each other when decked to even volumes when setting the compression.  FYI, my MVA heads, .041 and .051 to get the cc's right for 11.3 with .030 gaskets.  Measure and take small cuts and remeasure to sneak up on your target volume.
KD

prodrag1320

don't go by any "formula".cc,mill,cc some more & mill some more.get the tools to do it right or find someone who can

sfmichael

Quote from: prodrag1320 on June 01, 2019, 04:45:10 AM
don't go by any "formula".cc,mill,cc some more & mill some more.get the tools to do it right or find someone who can
Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 31, 2019, 05:39:32 PM
Ymmv, the acr heads have the added slot. .0067 is ballpark. Not something to count on. Invest in measuring tools and know for sure. The balance can be very different between heads and that requires uneven amounts of cut to get them equal.

2 guys that know

as Ohio said .007 is usually darn close
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hillside Motorcycle

Thumb of rule is .006", except when sliding down past the radius chamber on a CVO head.
Cut, cc. cut, cc.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

rigidthumper

Cheap 100 ml, .2cc graduated burette tubes are available for 25-30 dollars, good enough for what you are doing.  Use the cheapest rubbing alcohol the pharmacy has, put a few drops of food coloring from the grocery store in the bottle, mix it up and pour.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

sfmichael

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 03, 2019, 06:40:04 AM
Cheap 100 ml, .2cc graduated burette tubes are available for 25-30 dollars, good enough for what you are doing.  Use the cheapest rubbing alcohol the pharmacy has, put a few drops of food coloring from the grocery store in the bottle, mix it up and pour.

:up:

windshield washer solvent works okay too and you probably have some laying around
Colorado Springs, CO.

PoorUB

Quote from: sfmichael link=topic=109105.msg1300538#msg1300538 date=1559573823
windshield washer solvent works okay too and you probably have some laying around
/quote]

The blue tint helps see the liquid.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Rubbing alcohol doesn't have bubbles in it. Washer fluid can acquire bubbles when poured. Rubbing alcohol also isn't going to start any micro corrosion on valves.

PoorUB

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 03, 2019, 09:34:16 AM
Rubbing alcohol doesn't have bubbles in it. Washer fluid can acquire bubbles when poured. Rubbing alcohol also isn't going to start any micro corrosion on valves.

Never had any problems with bubbles and I blow off the head well and give it a squirt of WD40 when done.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

98fxstc

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 03, 2019, 09:34:16 AM

Don D

Fill with a nalgene bottle, no bubbles

Hillside Motorcycle

Alcohol does not have any surface tension, and readily flows.
We put a few drops of red dye in the bottle.
A plastic 100cc burret will not withstand alcohol.
We use glass units here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Don D

Guys should be careful with the cheap plastic burettes. Check the certification, glass is the only one that can have a class A certification. Many of the uncertified imports are very far off.

thumper 823

TRhere is ONLY one way to measure this and it is A PIA .
But you do get repeatable  results [attach=0] 
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH