April 26, 2024, 06:57:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ring Gap Orientation

Started by muskwa, May 31, 2019, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muskwa

Can anyone post an image of where the ring gaps should be for front and rear cylinders?  I searched with no results...

Ohio HD

Come on man. It took three seconds.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/article/installing-piston-rings/

What this shows may or may not be what HD specifies, if that matters.

smoserx1

I always heard they should be 120 degrees apart and not adjacent to the wrist pin.  For the 3 piece oil ring the middle part counts as the gap and the rails should be offset about an inch from the middle section (top rail offset an inch and the bottom rail an inch the other way).  That is how I did it on my bike and is obviously not like the recommendations above.  And yes any dot goes on the top.

PoorUB

The general consensus is they rotate anyway, just stagger them and don't get to worked up about it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

muskwa

Thanks for the replies.  I should have clarified that I was looking for the factory info, obviously I found a bunch of different guidance on google.

Armin

I followed CP Carillo's instructions with my recent build:

https://www.cp-carrillo.com/pt-3507-pistons.html

and go to FAQ

No problems!

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on May 31, 2019, 06:45:12 PM
The general consensus is they rotate anyway, just stagger them and don't get to worked up about it.
You saying we shouldn't break it down to degrees , minutes and seconds in rotation?  :hyst:
Ron

muskwa

I ended up putting the oil ring rails at 10:00 and 2:00, the separator at 6:00 and the top and 2nd rings at 4:00 and 8:00.  I've done 4 heat cycles and a short ride, I'll post back after 50 miles and let you know how I made out.  Thanks all.

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on June 04, 2019, 08:56:58 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on May 31, 2019, 06:45:12 PM
You saying we shouldn't break it down to degrees , minutes and seconds in rotation?  :hyst:
Ron

Minutes, sure, but seconds might be a bit OCD! :hyst:

I have always staggered them about 120 degrees a part, never had an issue. Never used a protractor or any other highly scientific device to measure the gap location.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

thumper 823

many people end up installing the spring thingy upside dwn.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH