April 23, 2024, 12:39:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

twincam valve springs question

Started by fxdl03, June 03, 2019, 07:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxdl03

Me and my friend have same 117 builds only difference was valve springs I used avv behive springs in my heads .He had woods double springs in his heads same cams same lifters pushrods adjusted same preload 3 turns 3 flats on se push rods which is around .130 ish his valve train seems quieter  on spark plug side than mine when idling and running down road .I know valve train harmonics are different from time to time but can different springs make that much difference in noise? .THey both have roller rockers and rocker lockers.

itsafatboy

So on your friends what springs did he use the woods 160? and do you now the seat pressure on your springs?

what cams you guys using woods?

on mine it was how the exhaust valve hit the seat , when I switched heads same woods springs, same woods cam, noise was gone, my noise was from the front exhaust valve area , woods uses pretty fast closing ramp speed on cams.     

jsachs1

Did you clearance the rocker box COVERS for the roller rocker arms?
John

Don D

I know valve train harmonics are different from time to time but can different springs make that much difference in noise?

Yes by all means. The cams are the same?

tc1550

yes same cams bike runs fine no issues but my bike plug side is just plain louder valves pounding seats .

Don D

How much was milled off the heads? What pushrods?

I noticed a (very slight) change in sound on my 117 when I switched to synthetic oil. Are you both running the same oil?