April 24, 2024, 03:15:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Vulcan Engineering- S&S Twin Cam T2 Case Drill Fixture

Started by hattitude, June 13, 2019, 03:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

June 13, 2019, 03:37:34 PM Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:42:10 PM by hattitude
I am considering an S&S 124" crate engine for my 2016 Ultra Classic. I am in the research phase right now...

I read about the Vulcan Engineering, "S&S Twin Cam T2 Case Drill Fixture for Dyna & Touring". It appears to allow for the install of the S&S T2 case to a Twin Cam 6-speed trans, without the need of the S&S oil line kit.

Instead of having external oil hoses between the Engine/Trans, it just drills the holes into the T2 cases, to allow the S&S motor to mate up like an HD case motor...

https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/S-and-S-Twin-Cam-T2-Oil-Hole-Drill-Fixture-Dyna.html

Seems like this would be a cleaner install than the oil lines.

Has anybody used this?

Anyone have any feedback from someone who used it?

I'm also open to opinions about using this method v the oil line kit...

Thanks in advance...

Rsw

Call Steve (GMR) he has done this several times can tell you what to do

hattitude

Quote from: Rsw on June 13, 2019, 03:41:14 PM
Call Steve (GMR) he has done this several times can tell you what to do

Awesome lead, good to know. .... thanks

Also open to any other opinions

No Cents

the Vulcan fixture to drill the S&S T2 cases works great.  :up:
You just have to remove the cam plate and cams and I would suggest taping everything up real good inside the cam chest cavity so the shaving don't get into anything.
  Steve @ GMR posted a video awhile back of him using the Vulcan fixture.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

hattitude

Quote from: No Cents on June 13, 2019, 05:44:45 PM
  the Vulcan fixture to drill the S&S T2 cases works great.  :up:
You just have to remove the cam plate and cams and I would suggest taping everything up real good inside the cam chest cavity so the shaving don't get into anything.
  Steve @ GMR posted a video awhile back of him using the Vulcan fixture.

I just found Steve's video.... damn, that looks a lot easier than drilling the trans case and running the oil lines....

Looked too simple... I just drill those holes and the HD OEM  engine to trans gasket makes sure everything goes where it's supposed to go?

What if anything do I need to do to the inside of the cam chest...?

1workinman

Yea Steve drilled the cases on my motor as I did not care for the oil lines

HighLiner

You could see if they would build one on the HD race cases like mine.

jsachs1

I've done several. No need to remove anything in the engine.
Slow and easy with grease on the bit. Pull bit out and clean. re-grease. The key to the whole deal is to put a metal rod in the S&S hole on the bottom of the case up till it stops. When the bit hits the rod, pull the rod out, grease the bit, and use a shop vac on the bottom of the case as a back up. You'll drill just a short distance more.
The passage you hit will not be round. Also, you'll be surprised how far you need to drill in before making contact on the rod.
John

hattitude

Quote from: jsachs1 on June 14, 2019, 03:26:06 PM
I've done several. No need to remove anything in the engine.
Slow and easy with grease on the bit. Pull bit out and clean. re-grease. The key to the whole deal is to put a metal rod in the S&S hole on the bottom of the case up till it stops. When the bit hits the rod, pull the rod out, grease the bit, and use a shop vac on the bottom of the case as a back up. You'll drill just a short distance more.
The passage you hit will not be round. Also, you'll be surprised how far you need to drill in before making contact on the rod.
John

Got it, thanks....

I think if I go for the 124" crate, I'll use the Vulcan drill fixture instead of the S&S oil line kit...

D-1

What about warranty if you drill the cases? Totally void from S&S, or would they still cover an unrelated failure?

hattitude

Quote from: D-1 on June 20, 2019, 05:33:43 PM
What about warranty if you drill the cases? Totally void from S&S, or would they still cover an unrelated failure?

Good point... I'll check on that....