April 19, 2024, 01:44:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Transmission rebuild kit....which one

Started by shindig, June 14, 2019, 06:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shindig

Preferences on 6 speed touring rebuild kits?  Is there a best one, or best value?  I keep seeing Jim's and Baker.  Baker is around $250 and Jim's $475 for what appears to be the same level of kit...  All help greatly appreciated as always. 

koko3052

How many miles & has it been taken apart yet? If just a maintenance issue I would just get the bearings, clips & seals OEM.

shindig

I need the complete rebuild kit.  it has been opened up.  Two bearings came apart.... Gears are good.

koko3052

Well if gears & shafts are all good , then what is wrong with OEM?

shindig

Nothing....that's why I am asking what people think...???

MikeL

Call California Phil's has great discount pricing. He a full member on this site.  Ask him about Jims.......................... :angry:

MIKE

MikeL

I don't think Harley has parts in kit form alacart only but I may be wrong.As far as just fixing what's broken. It's apart may as well change all the bearings, seals, and gaskets.

MIKE

Prostock

I have used Baker's 6 speed kit many times.  Complete kit with the single row main drive gear bearing.  Highly recommended. 

Screamin beagle

Plus one on the baker kit... a very complete kit. Only a few things I had to get from the dealer...a couple springs and a few little bolts. The parts guy at my dealer put together a quote for me for every thing I woukd have needed for the rebuild and it was a great price. I just didnt want to put the stock stuff back in since it failed once. In closing I'd go baker next time too.

Heinz

I recently rebuilt my OEM 6-speed transmission and used all Harley parts. just have the parts catalog in front of you and replace all the small parts and bearings.