April 19, 2024, 05:56:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

blow by off back jug on 2007 ultra

Started by johnarogers, June 15, 2019, 11:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnarogers

back cylinder blowing blue smoke happened all at once. think it's rings any other suggestions   

Scotty

Rings, valve guides or valve seal
Have to do a leak down test to determine which one it is.

prodrag1320

if its smoking all the time,its rings.smokes on start up & de acceleration,its guides/seals.this is not written in stone,but usually holds true

kd

June 16, 2019, 06:06:18 AM #3 Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:19:50 AM by kd
 :agree:   Even dry test compression will cause it to lean more to valves.  If uneven and a "small" squirt of oil in the low cylinder raises it, ring seal is suspect.  That can include anything that is part of the piston or cylinder wall.  If that squirt of oil in both cylinders kinda evens it up it's pretty much nailed as a piston / ring seal issue.

Added later
Don't forget a head gasket can fail on the combustion side but that would usually be accompanied with a change in crankcase pressure. That may manifest as a wet air filter or throttle bore ahead of the throttle plate or if vented to atmosphere as extra discharge.
KD

FXDBI

Year? Miles? Modifications ?   Bob

K4FXD

Leak down test time.

Harbor freight sells a cheap leak down tester.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Admiral Akbar

June 23, 2019, 07:28:08 AM #6 Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:35:26 AM by Admiral Akbar
Leak down and compression tests are a waste of time.  If you are blowing oil out of one cylinder, it needs rebuild. I'd first route the breathers so that they don't feed into the intake. Spray come cleaner into the intake and take the bike out for a good run.  If the smoking still occurs, rebuild the top end.  Disassemble, inspect, repair.

Add:

Try a little seafoam and water in the intake with the engine running. You might get lucky.

PoorUB

Quote from: K4FXD on June 22, 2019, 05:46:22 PM
Leak down test time.

Cheap is the key word.  I bought one from HF. How could they screw up something so simple? :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jjdalynh

Quote from: PoorUB on June 24, 2019, 07:06:34 AM
Quote from: K4FXD on June 22, 2019, 05:46:22 PM
Leak down test time.

Cheap is the key word.  I bought one from HF. How could they screw up something so simple? :banghead:

learned the hard way.  3 different comp testers, 3 different results (all bad).  tried verifying with good gauge, HF gauge was good from 0-100psi, but went off the rails after that.  don't buy anything with gauges from HF.  all my gauge tools are OTC and work.