April 25, 2024, 03:43:25 AM

News:

Primary Chain Tensioner

Started by dubepj, June 16, 2019, 04:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

I recently acquired a 2013 Dyna Switchback with about 8000 miles.  I read that the primary chain tensioner can be problematic with over tensioning the primary chain.  Would you guys recommend changing it out with an aftermarket one.  If i do this will it also help solve problems with the compensator sprocket?  Or are the two not related at all??
Thanks for your advice.

rigidthumper

The early auto adjusters were problematic, by 09 or 10 they were OK. No real need to change them. Early comps had fretting issues, which caused premature wear.  The latest comps, with the glue in oil tray, work as well as any other product out there.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I am still changing Compensators up to the 16 Model Year. The latest Gen Comp seems to have corrected the issue. The Latest Gen seem to work as well or better than others I have done. As for the Chain Tensioners, I still see issues occasionally where noise is concerned.
Tom

FXDBI

Set it up so the tension is good, scribe the location. Remove and tack it, re-install. Never get to tight again. If it needs adjustment later cut the tacks adjust and re-tack.  Search the site and you will see it discussed several times.   Bob