March 28, 2024, 11:49:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Crank sensor?

Started by 76shuvlinoff, June 21, 2019, 04:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

5 days ago I back the bike out for a trip. Cranks but does not fire right way then backfires then starts. Rode for 5 days without issue hot or cold. Hit the button and it's purring. At a gas stop this morning same thing, crank, backfire, start, no issues the rest of the way home.

12 Ultra EG. PV tune, 3 year old battery, just over 20,000 miles, has always fired right up.

Crank sensor?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ironpig9

76 -- had a crank sensor on my 01 Ultra go bad. Did not have the symptoms you describe. My bike would start and run fine until it warmed up and then it just died. I'd coast to the shoulder and it would crank and crank but not fire up. After sitting for 30 or so minutes it would fire back up and a bit down the road it would die again and so on. Could you be having problems with your fuel management system? Hope you find the problem and it is minor.
"The road goes on forever...."

K4FXD

I had a CKP sensor go intermittent on a 02 Dyna. It did all kinds of weird crap. Starter would kick back, would start running choppy at times

It acted like a bad carb, an intake leak, bad comp, wrong ignition timing, bad coil, bad gas.

It had symptoms of just about anything. After pulling my hair out I tried a new crank sensor and it was fixed.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

PoorUB

Gonenorth had a engine temp sensor go bad on his '12. Did just yours is doing.

Sensor in the front head. He caught his by looking at some tuning data. Engine temp would be normal, then drop to 70F, then back up again. Seems to me the sensor was $35. If you have a buddy with a similar year they are easy to rob his and try it out.

Also the pins at the electrical connector at the throttle body can make it act like this. Next time it happens, wiggle the connector really hard and try start it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Armin

Check the DTC and consider a failed IAC also.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

76shuvlinoff

Thanks for the replies!

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

K4FXD

When mine went out it did not throw any codes.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

fleetmechanic

Look carefully at the wires going into the MAP sensor plug on top of the throttle body.  A frayed or breaking wire there will cause all kinds of problems.

Geezer_Glider

Time to ride with that PV in data mode.
Just saying,
R Meyer

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on June 26, 2019, 10:21:19 AM
Time to ride with that PV in data mode.
Just saying,
R Meyer

I wouldn't know what I was reading.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dynabagger

Test the CKP sensor with a multimeter. A good one for my 01 dyna measured 0.975 K ohms. The bad one measured 4 Megohms.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Tacocaster

Reading the original post I got the impression his issue was occurring after a fill-up. If true, before you buy anything other than gas, try this this little experiment......don't fill it up to the top. Leave a bit of room. Simple as that

I read on here somewhere a short while ago that little suggestive gem, and it was bang-on! (no pun intended).
No explanation to offer but I know it worked (works) for me and I now leave gas stations without the usual red-faced haste. I happily admit, I don't get the same attention when I lite 'er up anymore!

Next time don't fill it so much. If it works for you too, that'd be GREAT!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Durwood

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 21, 2019, 04:57:40 PM
5 days ago I back the bike out for a trip. Cranks but does not fire right way then backfires then starts. Rode for 5 days without issue hot or cold. Hit the button and it's purring. At a gas stop this morning same thing, crank, backfire, start, no issues the rest of the way home.

12 Ultra EG. PV tune, 3 year old battery, just over 20,000 miles, has always fired right up.

Crank sensor?
I had the same scenario a few years ago on my last bike, 2011 RGU. I messed with the bike till I was blue in the face, then I replaced the battery and the issue went away.

chaos901

QuoteReading the original post I got the impression his issue was occurring after a fill-up. If true, before you buy anything other than gas, try this this little experiment......don't fill it up to the top. Leave a bit of room. Simple as that

Not saying this isn't true or didn't work for you, I'm just trying to figure out why this would make any difference when starting the bike.  The fuel that is being used to start the bike is already in the fuel line when you turn the bike off to fill it up.  If somebody could explain it would be appreciated.   

"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Tacocaster

Yeah, I agree, and can't offer any logical explanation of my own but can assure you, it works for me.  :dunno:

Sometimes I just accept things I can't understand when they work.

I'll poke around here and see if I can find the original post again (been a bit) but if I remember correctly, there was no real explanation offered then either.

We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

76shuvlinoff

I changed the crank position sensor because I could, (I know I know, throwing parts at it).  I have not had another occurrence but truthfully I have not been out very much due to brake issues, those have been addressed.  Thanks for the replies, I bookmarked this thread because it is likely I will be coming back to it. 

It has not always happened at the gas station. That's just where it embarrasses me the most.  :teeth:

- Ernest Hemingway

Boe Cole

Had an 06RG that acted that way.  Fortunately it threw codes which the forum helped me track the problem down to a corroded main relay.  Wish I could recall what the name on the relay was but I can't.  Be riding along and then engine would just die.  Would restart and run fine - until it died again!!!  As i recall, the 'fix' was all of $10.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.