April 26, 2024, 09:39:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'05 Softail Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Started by djl, June 22, 2019, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

June 22, 2019, 02:22:10 PM Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:58:10 PM by djl
EDIT: I must not have been holding my mouth right. After several unsuccessful attempts to reconnect the fuel line to the tank, I just went out and tried again and it snapped right in; no leaks.  I am an idiot. :doh:

Scotty

June 22, 2019, 02:50:02 PM #1 Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:59:43 PM by Scotty
Use Viton o-rings

ID .414"   Thickness .072"     OD  .558" bottom o-ring - BS905
ID .299"   Thickness .103"     OD  .505" top o-ring - BS109

Harley part numbers although they don't sell them really are 11387A for the top o-ring and 11105 for the bottom but you said it doesn't fit but that makes me think you changed the wrong one as there are 2 in the female adapter.

If the top o-ring is leaking then you have to drain the tank to change it and easy to do both with tank off and sitting upside down on a towel.
Easy to do once you have it upside down and fairly simple.
Bottom one can be done with fuel in tank and on bike if you lie on your back and hold your tongue just right  :hyst:

djl

Thanks Scotty.

According to my parts manual, there is only one o-ring (softail tank); PN 11323.  See my previous; after several unsuccessful attempts to reconnect; the last on, out of desperation, snapped right in.  I was frustrated because the garage was filling with gas fumes and I thought I was going to have to R/R the tank while I looked for a solution, not to mention the delay in getting the Deuce back on the road. Thanks again for the dimensions, I will archive them. :wink:

Scotty

11323 goes under the quick disconnect where it screws into the tank and is a big o-ring
Harley say the QD is not repairable and must be replaced but there is always a way around stupidity  :bike:

djl

Maybe I read the parts manual wrong but it sure looks like 11323 is internal to the female end of the fitting in the tank and that would make it very difficult to replace that o-ring which would require that fitting be replaced should it leak when connected.  Totally agree it is a poor engineering solution and a true PITA should that fitting start to leak.

Anyway, tank is back on, fitting is tight so all is good. Thanks again for the assistance.  :up:

jamminhd2000

jls 64

js

Scotty

Quote from: djl on June 22, 2019, 03:55:08 PM
Maybe I read the parts manual wrong but it sure looks like 11323 is internal to the female end of the fitting in the tank and that would make it very difficult to replace that o-ring which would require that fitting be replaced should it leak when connected.  Totally agree it is a poor engineering solution and a true PITA should that fitting start to leak.

Anyway, tank is back on, fitting is tight so all is good. Thanks again for the assistance.  :up:

No you read it wrong and to replace 11323 means you have to disconnect the line internally inside the tank as the entire hose twists around and then pull out through the QD hole. You will have to pull one apart to understand it correctly.
If you ever drain the fuel and take the tank off have a good look.
The tool the other posts mention works but a blunt screwdriver & pick works just as easy to get them out and just the screwdriver to put them back.

djl

Quote from: ScottyNo you read it wrong and to replace 11323 means you have to disconnect the line internally inside the tank as the entire hose twists around and then pull out through the QD hole. You will have to pull one apart to understand it correctly. If you ever drain the fuel and take the tank off have a good look.
The tool the other posts mention works but a blunt screwdriver & pick works just as easy to get them out and just the screwdriver to put them back.

I understand now after watching the Fuel Tool video; thanks to jammin and jls for posting the link.  If I ever have to repair mine, I think the Fuel Tool would make the job pretty easy.  I had to pull the tank to repair the cable connection between the handle bar switch and the female connector on the other end to get my Pingel shifter working again. Tank is back on, no leaks and the shifter working as it should so it's all good.  Thanks again to all who replied.