News:

twin power manual adjuster

Started by fxdl03, June 23, 2019, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxdl03

FSG

June 23, 2019, 03:54:51 PM #1 Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:03:27 PM by FSG
I've NOT used one but certainly like the look of them

that said I cant help but think that adjusting bolt/stud is going to fatigue over time and ......

they could probably beef it up somewhat, that and a double spacer to reduce stud length during adjustment

PoorUB

That looks like a 3/8" bolt on the adjuster. Sure would feel better with say 1/2 UNF. Looks a bit wimpy.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hillside Motorcycle

Strong little unit, but they seem to have a distinct noise.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

koko3052

The one installed in the pic above doesn't look like there is a whole bunch holding it in place. If that little 3/8" bolt were to tilt a bit & the pad were to slip off....could be catastrophic!   :potstir:
Think I'll stay with my "tried & true" standard in my '05.

92flhtcu

They've been around a few years now, noise on some due to new chain approach angle is only complaints I've ever heard
Need a bigger garage

MikeL

I have 1 on my 2007 Ultra. No noise after 1000 miles. Best thing I did on that bikes drive train.

MIKE

I wonder if these go up enough to accommodate a 32t compensator???

FSG

Quote from: MIKEL on June 24, 2019, 02:58:05 PM
I have 1 on my 2007 Ultra. No noise after 1000 miles. Best thing I did on that bikes drive train.

MIKE

what did you do with the OEM Compensator ?

barny7655

would of liked a round steel guide either side of the centre 3/8 adjuster, stop the top from rocking , other wise looks nice ,but so did my first wife
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Fat11Lo

June 25, 2019, 05:52:51 AM #10 Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:57:12 AM by Fat11Lo
Quote from: 838 on June 24, 2019, 07:38:01 PM
I wonder if these go up enough to accommodate a 32t compensator???

They will not, I experimented with this earlier this year. You need the tensioner sold with their 32 tooth solid sprocket. it's not sold seperately

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=106214.msg1283996#msg1283996

FSG

to be honest it'd not be that difficult to make a weld on adapter plate to re position the tensioner rather than buy the entire kit

Fat11Lo

No it wouldn't

In my case I wanted to try the solid sprocket any way

MikeL

Quote from: FSG on June 24, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
Quote from: MIKEL on June 24, 2019, 02:58:05 PM

MIKE

what did you do with the OEM Compensator ?
I kept it in there and added 8 oz extra Amsoil torque fluid. No clunking no nothing.Find neutral and shifting no problem
At first I thought I had a bad compensator. Did find the chain extremely tight. Installed the Twin Power adjuster put back together. Noise gone. I was very surprised. Seen a few bad compensators.  Time will tell.....

MIKE

cdonis

The 32 tooth kit leaves the chain at a weird angle.  Its almost like its just too steep, and the shoe needs to be a bit wider to acheive a more gradual angle with more surface area.  I didn't care for the kit. Loud as hell too. 

Hillside Motorcycle

We have those on the shelf....that cavity below the chain sets up a distinct howl.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

Quote from: koko3052 on June 24, 2019, 06:56:08 AM
The one installed in the pic above doesn't look like there is a whole bunch holding it in place. If that little 3/8" bolt were to tilt a bit & the pad were to slip off....could be catastrophic!   :potstir:
Think I'll stay with my "tried & true" standard in my '05.

Not really an option as this unit is not applicable to the year group of your bike.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

itsafatboy

Before I went to belt drive I liked the M6 hayden adjuster , would set it to 1/2" seemed to work great, are they still a good way to go

https://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt07.htm

Prostock

Just took out a Hayden and installed the drag Manuel adjuster.  Little more quite.  Put on a new chain and ALOT better.  Bike also has a solid comp.  I have 2 drag manuals out in the field and so far working well. 

98fxstc

I had the Hayden M6 in mine
very happy with it until it fell apart
the springs broke
I improvised with a spring setup rather than wait two weeks for replacements to Aus from the US
I also noticed fractures starting to appear in the shoe
Plenty of documented cases of spring and shoe failures on the net
Pulled it out and put my original back in with the RBabos modification.

Propflux01

?? What is the "RBabos modification"?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

98fxstc

Quote from: Propflux01 on July 10, 2019, 03:56:33 PM
?? What is the "RBabos modification"?

check posts 18 and 19
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=99511.0;all

the measure and tack weld method is also discussed

Propflux01

A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...