April 23, 2024, 04:29:07 PM

News:

110 Cu In Motors

Started by Sidewinder28, June 23, 2019, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidewinder28

How good is the 110 with CVO heads with good cams & a good 2 into 1 exhaust?

I have a 96" engine with Woods 222's & a Supertrapp 2x1 exhaust that runs decently, & am considering dropping 110 cylinders & heads onto it................but I've not been overwhelmed by the performance I've seen from the stock 110's, hence the question for those that have better than stock 110's set up.

Any input would be appreciated.

SW28

Langwilliams

I've heard the stock 110's are low compression an it hurts performance....I ride with a guy with a Fatboy S with V&H short shots, Hi flo filter an a good tune an it's putting out like 96 hp I don't recall the tq number but this with with the stock 255 cams. it's a pretty strong running bike. But that lack of compression hurts it with aftermarket cams. He asked about a cam swap an they said it needed head work to be effective.

kd

For all you have to do to make the 110 parts work, go 117.   :wink:
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: Sidewinder28 on June 23, 2019, 07:00:27 PM

I have a 96" engine with Woods 222's & a Supertrapp 2x1 exhaust that runs decently, & am considering dropping 110 cylinders & heads onto it................but I've not been overwhelmed by the performance I've seen from the stock 110's, hence the question for those that have better than stock 110's set up.

SW28

Buy a drop on S/E cylinder kit, stock heads and your woods cam. Run the numbers thru big boys calculator it will be right around 200 ccp. Have some compression releases added when the heads are off.  Good bang for your buck and using your cams again.  Bob

Don D

The S&S 110 kit is the way to go. Mild head work on the oem heads and a cam, choice based on riding style.
An economy build, top end only.
Similar builds make 115hp ( throttle body and injector limited) and high 120s for torque. With the right pipe choice they make 100 tq at 2200 rpm and still are at 100tq at 5200rpm.

98fxstc

I believe there is still a preference by some seasoned engine builders for a case bore and boring/ honing seasoned cylinders to go 110

There are still failures of the liners in the drop in kits that are kept quiet.

koko3052

Home built 110 in my '05 fatty, tweeked heads, Tman 590, CV44 in front of  baker DD6.....JUST LOVE IT! :scoot:

Don D

Quote from: 98fxstc on June 24, 2019, 06:18:08 AM
I believe there is still a preference by some seasoned engine builders for a case bore and boring/ honing seasoned cylinders to go 110

And then it is wise to move up to 117" as previously suggested. Same cost as the 110. Only failures I have had were guys that installed the kits on top of a crank with bad rod(s). Personally I would pull the motor and fix the crank and not treat a build like this as a top end only deal. Problem is guys who are lower on experience,  tools, confidence, or budget are encouraged by just a top end job and can't get over the more major job.

Sidewinder28

Quote from: HD Street Performance on June 24, 2019, 08:36:18 AM

And then it is wise to move up to 117" as previously suggested. Same cost as the 110. Only failures I have had were guys that installed the kits on top of a crank with bad rod(s). Personally I would pull the motor and fix the crank and not treat a build like this as a top end only deal. Problem is guys who are lower on experience,  tools, confidence, or budget are encouraged by just a top end job and can't get over the more major job.

That's great insight & advice & is exactly the quandary that I'm faced with...............drop ons, or a full rebuild. Might just buy a new 117 & go from there. LOL   :scratch:

Thanks for all the replies............kind confirm what I expected to hear; pay your money & takes yer chance, or go whole HOG, pun intended.

SW 28

98fxstc

There are a lot of 110 cylinders about from guys who have gone to the 117 drop ins on on the CVO's and the later 110s...Fatboy Slim s and Dyna LowRider S  etc

prodrag1320

Don D

Quote from: 98fxstc on June 24, 2019, 09:04:48 PM

There are a lot of 110 cylinders about from guys who have gone to the 117 drop ins on on the CVO's and the later 110s...Fatboy Slim s and Dyna LowRider S  etc
Why bother, a case bore is needed, the 117" can be done at the same cost and a crank rebuild which all of them should have.

Deye76

"a case bore is needed, the 117" can be done at the same cost"

Is the cylinder base o-ring retained with 4" bore and lost with the 4-1/8"?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

Pro drag nailed it.  If you're going to have to do a case bore and crank work you can go S&S 4 5/8" crank for the same or similar money as crank work and the 4.125 barrels and have a nice dependable 124.  The same budget and my bet is you won't be sorry.   :wink:
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

SW28

How good can a CVO head-equipped 110" be?
130/130 is in easy reach.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

98fxstc

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on June 28, 2019, 03:22:56 AM

SW28

May be within reach
I would not think easy reach
Would like to see a couple of examples
I would think they have to be squeezed pretty hard

MikeL

Quote from: prodrag1320 on June 25, 2019, 04:07:50 AM
go 124"
:agree: 1 and done everything taken care of

MIKE

Screamin beagle

Before you make any plans or buy any parts you should check your crank runout. I'm at .003 and I was told it would "probably" ok to do a mild build, no guarantees.  If you're planning on squeezing more than 125 hp &tq. Out of it you better seriously think about doing it from the crank up and at that point do like Kirby saud and go 124 and be done. My bikes an 08 cvo road king and the stock compression is the performance killer in these motors in stock form. They can be ok with a good tune and pipe. I used scott at hillside for my little build. He did stage one heads and recommended s and s 570's. I followed Scott's recipe and got a good running bike with 123 tq. And 117hp. It's alot of fun to ride and should hold up providing I don't beat the hell out of it. A nice "budget" build would be to bore to a 107, get some cams, headwork and a good tune. There's a pretty good jump in cost to go 110 drop on to gain an extra 3 c.i.'s. Pick one of the guys here that make a living building these motors and get a game plan from them and then follow it...it can get expensive trying to re invent the wheel.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 98fxstc on June 28, 2019, 05:50:14 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on June 28, 2019, 03:22:56 AM

SW28

May be within reach
I would not think easy reach
Would like to see a couple of examples
I would think they have to be squeezed pretty hard

Our Facebook has a 110" with re-worked S/E Heads, 51mm HPI, Pro Pipe, S&S .570 at 10.25 cr......127/132.
Wood 8 has shown more.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

klammer76

Quote from: Screamin beagle on June 28, 2019, 02:48:59 PM
Before you make any plans or buy any parts you should check your crank runout. I'm at .003 and I was told it would "probably" ok to do a mild build, no guarantees.  If you're planning on squeezing more than 125 hp &tq. Out of it you better seriously think about doing it from the crank up and at that point do like Kirby saud and go 124 and be done. My bikes an 08 cvo road king and the stock compression is the performance killer in these motors in stock form. They can be ok with a good tune and pipe. I used scott at hillside for my little build. He did stage one heads and recommended s and s 570's. I followed Scott's recipe and got a good running bike with 123 tq. And 117hp. It's alot of fun to ride and should hold up providing I don't beat the hell out of it. A nice "budget" build would be to bore to a 107, get some cams, headwork and a good tune. There's a pretty good jump in cost to go 110 drop on to gain an extra 3 c.i.'s. Pick one of the guys here that make a living building these motors and get a game plan from them and then follow it...it can get expensive trying to re invent the wheel.
That is a very strong running 103. What is the compression set at and what size throttle body/injector size?
Thanks

klammer76

Quote from: klammer76 on July 08, 2019, 04:25:25 AM
Quote from: Screamin beagle on June 28, 2019, 02:48:59 PM
That is a very strong running 103. What is the compression set at and what size throttle body/injector size?
Thanks
Disregard, I reread and realized you have a CVO 110.