April 26, 2024, 08:03:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

126" Rebuild

Started by pwmorris, April 03, 2014, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwmorris

April 03, 2014, 09:24:05 PM Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:52:33 PM by pwmorris
My twin cam FXR motor was smoking after nearly 8 years or hard riding so we did a tear down. So far found a bad valve guide seal, bad o ring on the gear drive pump and possibly a sticky/obstructed check valve on the pump supply side, and the rings are showing their age. Lots of oil in cam chest and quite a bit of sumping. Still some more inspection to do but no major damage and bottom end looks good. It is an amazing engine and look forward to getting it back on the road as it has been so good to me for so many years.
Going to bump compression with a piston upgrade (.10 over) but still run pump gas, .675 ez starts, S&S premium lifters with limiters and B2 heads have been sent out for some work as well as new springs and valves.
Hopefully won't be long till we get it all back together. Stay tuned.

Merc63

Ohhhhhh boy.  What comp r u going to run ?

Who's doing the head work on it?

Are you keeping the 1.725 rockers on intake with the new cam?

I'm excited to see what you put down. Sorry for all the Qs :)
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

pwmorris

Quote from: Merc63 on April 03, 2014, 09:34:45 PM
Ohhhhhh boy.  What comp r u going to run ?

Who's doing the head work on it?

Are you keeping the 1.725 rockers on intake with the new cam?

I'm excited to see what you put down. Sorry for all the Qs :)
Comp will definitely be stronger than my old 10.5 but we will see where we end up based on the heads. This will still be a daily driven pump gas street bike.
Steve Allsteadt (SA Racing) is doing the heads and yeah 1.7 rockers are in the future  :teeth:

WideWildGlide

that 10.5 corrected with ss 675?

No Cents

:up:
sounds like a plan Paul.
Glad to hear it is a simple fix...and nothing major.
Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: pwmorris on April 03, 2014, 09:24:05 PM
My twin cam FXR motor was smoking after nearly 8 years or hard riding so we did a tear down. So far found a bad valve guide seal, bad o ring on the gear drive pump and possibly a sticky/obstructed check valve on the pump supply side, and the rings are showing their age. Lots of oil in cam chest and quite a bit of sumping. Still some more inspection to do but no major damage and bottom end looks good. It is an amazing engine and look forward to getting it back on the road as it has been so good to me for so many years.
Going to bump compression with a piston upgrade (.10 over) but still run pump gas, .675 ez starts, S&S premium lifters with limiters and B2 heads have been sent out for some work as well as new springs and valves.

We did a set of heads for a 124" many years back for S&S employee, Tom Hampton.
We used that .675, and Axtell(J&E)30* pistons to get the squeeze up.
That 126" is gonna' be a beast, Paul. :up: :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

FXDRYDR

Can't wait to see how it comes out  :up:

Merc63

I'm predicting north of 170.

Will SA supply any flow numbers?
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

build it

Hi Paul! I'd say good luck, but you don't need it.

Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

frankieb

Curious why you are using the EZ start cams? You having any problems with the ACR?

pwmorris

Quote from: WideWildGlide on April 03, 2014, 11:09:46 PM
that 10.5 corrected with ss 675?
No, I had the old set up running .640's at 10.5-
Quote from: frankieb on April 04, 2014, 10:47:57 AM
Curious why you are using the EZ start cams? You having any problems with the ACR?
Hey Frankie,
No trouble just insurance for the compression bump when hitting the starter after heat soak and hot summer traffic re-starts.

Azgunner

If you don't mind me asking how many actual miles do you have on the engine?

Thanks.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

pwmorris

April 04, 2014, 07:31:59 PM #12 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:44:08 PM by pwmorris
Quote from: Azgunner on April 04, 2014, 06:22:30 PM
If you don't mind me asking how many actual miles do you have on the engine?

Thanks.
4-5,000 per year x 7 plus years =30,000, give or take...
For me it isn't the miles but how those miles are put on the bike-and alot of my miles are ridden hard and put away wet...

jam65

You expect somewhat higher maintenance with these kind of builds. You have to pay to play when you push a V-twin to perform at these upper levels. S&S has done very well to accommodate this but this format does have it's limits, ie/ trade off. That is where the fun begins. Finding performance from rolling over an old stone and smoothing it's edges.

pwmorris

Yup,
Very true-

Another point is that the entire time I road with velocity stacks (no filter no nothing). Got caught in a few rain storms over the years but usually avoided sand storms or any crazy weather.
Other that the piston top which was caked due to the oil burn on its last legs, the pistons (other than the thrust side) and cylinder walls look pretty damn good...just some info to take with anyone as they would like-

Merc63

I'd say you sure got your monies worth, 7 years of hard riding with velocity stacks.  Excellent.

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

WideWildGlide

that is good info on the stacks, please take plenty of pictures and keep the info coming

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: WideWildGlide on April 05, 2014, 04:23:54 PM
that is good info on the stacks, please take plenty of pictures and keep the info coming

Here is a link to the stacks which Paul uses:

http://www.baggersmag.com/novi-twinstack-velocity-stacks-carburetor-airflow-go-flow/?image=0
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Ohio HD

Paul, so you're inspection so far looks like the lower end is in good shape? Was it an all S&S assembled lower end, S&S rods, etc., no welding?

Merc63

Do you have a before and after dyno graph? I hope so
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

pwmorris

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 06, 2014, 09:08:14 AM

Paul, so you're inspection so far looks like the lower end is in good shape? Was it an all S&S assembled lower end, S&S rods, etc., no welding?
Yes-
All S&S, no welding-doesn't need it...
It was a crate 126...
Not any more- :teeth:

Ohio HD

Quote from: pwmorris on April 06, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 06, 2014, 09:08:14 AM

Yes-
All S&S, no welding-doesn't need it...
It was a crate 126...
Not any more- :teeth:

That says a lot for the S&S bottom ends.   :up:

So is there an 8 second club t-shirt and plaque?    :teeth:

gordonr

We ran the the 675 one year at Wyotech. Took out the 640 (113 tc @12.5, 1.63ra) and with no other changes, pulled 10hp more. As a note we picked about 300 rpm more on top. Torque suffered a little but @159hp it was a beast! Not one issue with riding it in the Daytona traffic for the week except for a head light out ticket. Hopefully you wont have wait to long to see smoke.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Merc63

Quote from: gordonr on April 07, 2014, 03:09:24 AM
We ran the the 675 one year at Wyotech. Took out the 640 (113 tc @12.5, 1.63ra) and with no other changes, pulled 10hp more. As a note we picked about 300 rpm more on top. Torque suffered a little but @159hp it was a beast! Not one issue with riding it in the Daytona traffic for the week except for a head light out ticket. Hopefully you wont have wait to long to see smoke.

Was the horsepower climbing straight to redline or levelling off with the 640?  Do u have a graph?  What was redline set at?

I have played with the idea of the 675, but my torque is already peaking at 5000rpm and hp seems to be pulling till 7000rpm. 
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

gordonr

Quote from: Merc63 on April 07, 2014, 06:37:08 AM
Quote from: gordonr on April 07, 2014, 03:09:24 AM

Was the horsepower climbing straight to redline or levelling off with the 640?  Do u have a graph?  What was redline set at?

I have played with the idea of the 675, but my torque is already peaking at 5000rpm and hp seems to be pulling till 7000rpm.

With the 640 it was finished at 6200. The heads were worked over HTCC hemi's with a 2.100 int. And it sounds like your heads may be better than these were. I will see if I can find a sheet for this build.
"If was easy everyone would do it"